How to clean bike after dirty ride

boogi11
boogi11 Posts: 354
edited October 2012 in Workshop
Hi all, I don't have the luxury of two bikes(yet) and today it was filthy after my ride. I stripped off all lights , computers and saddle bags, then just hosed down with tap water, using a sponge on the grotty bits , let it drip dry for half an hour the stuck it in the dinning oom where it lives. Have I missed much, will this do......

Comments

• boogi11 wrote:
    Hi all, I don't have the luxury of two bikes(yet) and today it was filthy after my ride. I stripped off all lights , computers and saddle bags, then just hosed down with tap water, using a sponge on the grotty bits , let it drip dry for half an hour the stuck it in the dinning oom where it lives. Have I missed much, will this do......
    http://www.parktool.com/product/bike-cleaning-brush-set-bcb-4
    I'd get yourself some brushes
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/muc-off-nano-tech-bike-cleaner-1-litre-bottle-with-spray-1/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=uk&utm_content=Muc-Off-Muc-Off_Nano_Tech_Bike_Cleaner_1_Litre_Bottle_with_Spray
    Some muc off or degreaser
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008KWH2EC/ref=asc_df_B008KWH2EC10322567?smid=A1IM96RSBPC3L0&tag=hydra0b-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22218&creativeASIN=B008KWH2EC&hvpos=1o1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14931135671749431292&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=
    a chain cleaning tool
    and then some gt85 and chain lube of choice.

This is preformed much more easily with a workshop bike stand to grip the bike by the seat post. Give the bike a good spray with the muc off and let it work its magic, pay attention to covering the drive train in it. Then after its soaked in for a while hose it down whilst scrubbing with a soft brush. Pay close attention to all the nooks and crannies. Take the wheels off and use the cassette brush and plenty of muc off to get the cassette sparkling again. Whilst the wheels are off get the all the bits that are hard to clean with the wheels on like the brakes and the rear derailleur. Once the wheels and cassette are well cleaned put them back on and use the chain cleaning tool with some degreaser in it to run the chain through.

Once the whole bike had been cleaned you want to hose it down with water but not under too much pressure as this can displace grease from inside bearings/hubs. Then dry it down with a rag and give the frame and components a spray with gt85 as this once dry will prevent too much crud from sticking to it in the future. Then apply your chain lube of choice give the chain a wipe down with a different rag and jobs a gooden'.

Note chain lubing opens up a whole other debate and is worthy of looking into separately.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    Give it to the wife :lol:
  • give it to these guys
    best in the business
  • boogi11
    boogi11 Posts: 354
    Well it's funny you should mention that, last night I went to check something on my bike and lifted it up on its back wheel, and flooded the inning room floor with dirty water, it seemed to come out the horizontal stay that holds the rear dreilleur , surprised me a little
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,438
    in heavy rain water can get in, especially via the seat tube if you do not have mudguards, then it tends to collect down in the bb shell, some have a drain hole in the shell, some don't

but, as you discovered, there can be drain holes at the end of the chain stays

after a wet ride, get in the habit of lifting the front right up so that the bb shell can drain out

my shiny bike gets loads of wet crappy rides, especially in the miserable 'summers' of the last couple of years, it gets hosed down and wiped dry (before i do), any stubborn marks shift with a bit of spit on the cloth, i never use cleaners on the frame, it is still very shiny
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny