Drugs in other sports and the media.

Comments

• Did you lot all miss my link? :(

Appears that Luis Garcia de Moral is also the doctor for Ferrer, Safin, and Errani...(tennis players for the uninitiated ;)).[/quote

Gotta hand it to these doctors - they like to share their talents around the sporting world

Another story on SI.com
    http://tennis.si.com/2012/10/19/friday- ... ng-tennis/
  • What's the connection between mysterious illnesses and drug taking?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,236
    PuttyKnees wrote:
    What's the connection between mysterious illnesses and drug taking?

Ways to avoid testers when 'glowing'.

Common practice in cycling.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    The winner of Paris-Roubaix earns $39,000 (€30,000) in prize money. A caddy (not a golfer, but a caddy) who works for someone that wins the PGA Championship gets $145,000 (€111,685).
    Contador is the Greatest
  • The winner of Paris-Roubaix earns $39,000 (€30,000) in prize money. A caddy (not a golfer, but a caddy) who works for someone that wins the PGA Championship gets $145,000 (€111,685).

And the P-R money goes into the prize pot to be shared around...
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    This made me smile:
    Exercise-induced asthma has inexplicably stricken many Olympians, including 60 percent of the U.S. team in 1994
    :shock:

From here:

http://www.sharonlbegley.com/the-real-scandal
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Let's not neglect tennis. BIG exposure there...

In a similar vein, I've always had my doubts about a very well-known Spanish tennis player who's physique was orders of magnitude ''too monstrous'' at 18 and 19. Atleast his 3 main rivals seem to be clean (of bulking).
  • TONY.M
    TONY.M Posts: 94
    Mettan wrote:
    Let's not neglect tennis. BIG exposure there...

In a similar vein, I've always had my doubts about a very well-known Spanish tennis player who's physique was orders of magnitude ''too monstrous'' at 18 and 19. Atleast his 3 main rivals seem to be clean (of bulking).
    I assume you are referring to Raphael Nadal? If so there is nothing remotely exceptional or suspicious about his physique. Not saying he is clean but he is not particularly muscular at all despite the talk of it and the topic of his appearance has been grossly overblown.

On a sarcastic note what about Chris Hoy then? :lol: He is muscular.
  • grandad3
    grandad3 Posts: 322
    PuttyKnees wrote:
    What's the connection between mysterious illnesses and drug taking?

look here http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lance-Landis-In ... 034549962X

page 26, parahraph 3
    'Collapse the Light into Earth'
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    Drugs in long distance running. Surely not!

http://athleticsillustrated.com/intervi ... g-exposed/
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    In connection with the thread title I thought drugs in the media were compulsory with coke being the PED of choice?
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    what about drugs in academia?

was reading this week that students take stuff such as ritalin to assist themselves whilst doing revision.

shoudnt these drug cheats qualifications be revoked?
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • rick_chasey

was reading this week that students take stuff such as ritalin to assist themselves whilst doing revision.

Are you really suggesting drug tests for exams?
  • rick_chasey
    Pross wrote:
    In connection with the thread title I thought drugs in the media were compulsory with coke being the PED of choice?

They hit the alcohol pretty hard too.
  • fast as fupp

Are you really suggesting drug tests for exams?

why not- they are doing exactly what those crafty cyclists are doing i.e. seeking an advantage by illegal means.

or is it ok for middle class students to cheat?
  • rick_chasey
    What's illegal about it, and what's the class of students got to do with it?

Do only middle class students cheats?
  • fast as fupp
    posession of ritalin without a prescription is illegal- its a class b controlled substance

not many working class students left these days- theyve been priced out
  • proto
    Just had a conversation with someone who has a connection with a British drug tester at he London Olympics. Basically he was saying that they (the testers) know that every athlete (Track and Field events) is doping. No exceptions. They know but just can't catch them.
    This is pretty well what the Aussie drug testing doc was saying on the Radio 4 programme the other day. It would seem that it is only cycling is making any effort to clean up its act.
  • proto wrote:
    Just had a conversation with someone who has a connection with a British drug tester at he London Olympics. Basically he was saying that they (the testers) know that every athlete (Track and Field events) is doping. No exceptions. They know but just can't catch them.
    This is pretty well what the Aussie drug testing doc was saying on the Radio 4 programme the other day. It would seem that it is only cycling is making any effort to clean up its act.

Thats interesting because there was a 'how-much-more-can-someone-set-themselves-up' tweet by Jonathan Edwards earlier today:

'Read Tyler Hamilton's The Secret Race in a sitting. At once, utterly compelling and depressing. Thankful my sport didnt demand such choices'

Needless to say, I think he's had more than a few dissenting responses...
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206

There's one called Modafinil and someone that took it described the effects: "It makes you desperate to do what you know you actually need to do. You just don't want to do anything else. I wanted to revise all the time, non-stop."
  • MrTapir wrote:

There's one called Modafinil and someone that took it described the effects: "It makes you desperate to do what you know you actually need to do. You just don't want to do anything else. I wanted to revise all the time, non-stop."

I need some of that for work this week

*starts searching the internet*
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    MrTapir wrote:

Here you go, it doesnt seem dodgy at all.
  • MrTapir wrote:
    MrTapir wrote:

Who could fail to be attracted by such marketing lines as 'and will be able to help many compete better in such a quick-paced society that is always constantly demanding more from the workers'

*sets up standing order*
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    MrTapir wrote:
    MrTapir wrote:

Who could fail to be attracted by such marketing lines as 'and will be able to help many compete better in such a quick-paced society that is always constantly demanding more from the workers'

*sets up standing order*

Disgusting. Cheating in the workplace. I won't stand for it.

*chooses double espresso then presses twice on the "increase strength" button on the office coffee machine*
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    Meanwhile in boxing;

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/boxing/9630961/British-and-Commonwealth-heavyweight-champion-David-Price-has-not-been-drug-tested-for-three-and-a-half-years.html
    British and Commonwealth heavyweight champion David Price has called on boxing's governing bodies to be more stringent in anti-doping after revealing that he has not been tested for three and a half years.

The easiest way to avoid a drug problem n your sport; don't look very hard.
  • Trev The Rev
    Trev The Rev Posts: 1,040
    If footballers were tested as often as cyclists and subjected to questioning under oath and under threat of prosecution and imprisonment if they were subsequently found to have lied, there would be just as many cheats exposed playing week in week out in the premiership as there are in pro cycling.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    proto wrote:

Thats interesting because there was a 'how-much-more-can-someone-set-themselves-up' tweet by Jonathan Edwards earlier today:

'Read Tyler Hamilton's The Secret Race in a sitting. At once, utterly compelling and depressing. Thankful my sport didnt demand such choices'

Someone should point him to the list of current bans here http://www.ukad.org.uk/anti-doping-rule-violations/current-violations/ . Only one cyclist and four from UKA including a life ban. Plenty of other sports are worse, why do the media not pick up on this??
  • Anecdotal, but interesting nevertheless... When I lived in Sydney (circa 1996-2000) I used to train around Centennial Park, which is where a lot of the AFL and NRL players used to ride their bikes... I got chatting to a few of the players, and the conversation turned to doping etc... In Aus there's a big problem of recreational drug use in NRL/AFL, but the official line is that performance enhancing drug abuse is not a problem. The boys I talked to were very keyed in with their knowledge of Growth Hormone, steroids and hormones... and in particular, cortico-steroids. The amount of cortisone that gets 'prescribed' to these players astounded me... If it had been cycling they'd have gone pos in the bat-of-a-lash!
  • proto
    edited October 2012
    Pross wrote:

Someone should point him to the list of current bans here http://www.ukad.org.uk/anti-doping-rule-violations/current-violations/ . Only one cyclist and four from UKA including a life ban. Plenty of other sports are worse, why do the media not pick up on this??

And two of them are named ...................................................... Edwards!!
  • proto wrote:
    Pross wrote:

And two of them are named ...................................................... Edwards!!

Goodness knows that the bobsleigher took...