First 40 miler

Philinmerthyr
Philinmerthyr Posts: 135
edited November 2012 in Road beginners
I completed my first 40 mile ride this morning. I did 40.9 miles at an average of 13.1 mph.

I was disappointed that I didn't get under the 3 hr mark but given the strong crosswind for most of the ride, the last 7 miles being slightly uphill into a headwind and the fact that I'm still over 21 st, I'm pretty pleased with myself.

I started training 5 weeks ago and have done around 370 miles, cleared my bank account but bought a new Roubaix and some great cold weather kit and a Garmin 200. Its the best thing I've done in years. Lost over a stone and loving life. :lol:

Comments

• TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    That's a really good pace considering your condition. Great job! Imagine how quick you'll be once you're down to a healthy weight with a decent amount of fitness.
  • well done keep it up !
  • Buckie2k5
    Buckie2k5 Posts: 600
    well done! im a few weeks ahead of you and you seem to be going along at the same schedule as me. in few weeks time you will hit your 1st 50. I done mine on thursday and im still buzzing :)
  • Buckie2k5 wrote:
    well done! im a few weeks ahead of you and you seem to be going along at the same schedule as me. in few weeks time you will hit your 1st 50. I done mine on thursday and im still buzzing :)

I signed up to do the London100 for beating bowel cancer so need to build up to that but I have until next August to get there.

I'm pleased with my progress. Plan to build up to 100 miles per week (3 x 15 mile rides in the week and a longer ride on the weekend) and maintain that to help me lose weight through the winter and then build up to the 100 mile through the spring.
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    well done thats a cracking ride and at your weight even more so..keep it going and you will do the 100 no problem.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Keep it going over the winter with decent lights (pair of Cree XML-T6 torches) and then let rip in the spring. The more fitness you can build up before the weather turns nice again the better your next season will be.

Roubaix is a superb bike, bought one myself this year and love it to bits. Just remember that everything you spend on clothing and lights is an investment in your health.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    That's a very encouraging result. Keep at it.
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • pinarellokid
    pinarellokid Posts: 1,208
    couple of months ahead of you and loving it also iv lost 2 stone now and feeling great,
    hard to keep it going right through the winter but im guessing by picking the right days to ride and adding a couple of spinning classes a week and i can keep the monemtum up.

keep at it fella
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211
  • That distance at 21 stone is excellent - very well done indeed.

Make sure you eat the right things to fuel up beforehand and only refuel with the right things afterwards and you'll see the weight drop off, your speed and distance rise and soon you'll be wondering what this hard thing called 40 miles is as its just a normal ride.
  • FlacVest
    FlacVest Posts: 100
    I completed my first 40 mile ride this morning. I did 40.9 miles at an average of 13.1 mph.

I was disappointed that I didn't get under the 3 hr mark but given the strong crosswind for most of the ride, the last 7 miles being slightly uphill into a headwind and the fact that I'm still over 21 st, I'm pretty pleased with myself.

I started training 5 weeks ago and have done around 370 miles, cleared my bank account but bought a new Roubaix and some great cold weather kit and a Garmin 200. Its the best thing I've done in years. Lost over a stone and loving life. :lol:

GG; I would highly suggest riding harder, even for shorter distances, if you want to improve speed, and leave it all out on the trail.

I don't have much riding time, but I'll do intervals or a short 8 mile ride 1 or 2 times a week, then go out Friday and do a hard 25/30 mile ride. Push harder and you'll gain power/lose weight much faster.

But keep it up man; when I did my first 40 mile ride I felt like crap afterwards, but loved the gain in confidence and fitness I got form doing it.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I would highly suggest riding harder, even for shorter distances

Agreed, there's a lot to be said for doing 20 miles but with all the power you can put in. It'll up your power output.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Well done, I'd suggest enjoy cycling, loose the weight then think about your performance.
  • Thats excellent, dont knock yourself or try too hard to begin with. I was in the same boat, 1st June got a bike, weighed nearly 23 stone, doing 3 miles killed me, stuck with it, and now nearly 5 months later im 19 stone 12, doing 50 milers in just over 3hrs. 5 months ago i would never believed it possible, i do turbo 4 nights a week and try and go out at weekends. So stick with it.

Remember, time goes by quicker than you think, the riding wont kill you and neither will the strict diet. Its the mind dealing with patience that will try and derail you. Just be patient and it will fly by.

Good luck!
  • Good job!

Keep at it and you'll be doing 50 miles in under 3 hours in no time
  • It sounds like you are going at the fast pace here, I did 200 miles in total last summer, i usually don’t eat anything before my ride because I know that all the blood will go to my stomach for digestion and this will make my go slower just I have a great breakfast full of carbohydrates and then I go cycling right before launch time so I have some carb energy built up, though red bull really helps for energy but I don’t like artificial stuff to get energy. And you know the reason I am cycling is to gain weight well mostly muscles weight in my legs to shape up a bit, I never took all those protein supplements then and I am not taking any energy drinks now.
  • Thats great, I started cycling about 12 weeks ago, down from 18st 7 to 15 st 13 and I only really commute a 10 mile round trip with the occasional weekend session. Trying to build my distance up. It's a 50 miler for me next. Plan on doing it this saturday weather permitting. Loving the cycling although I'm currently on a hybrid. getting a road bike after my wallet can breath again from Xmas.
  • I signed up to do the London100 for beating bowel cancer so need to build up to that but I have until next August to get there.

I'm pleased with my progress. Plan to build up to 100 miles per week (3 x 15 mile rides in the week and a longer ride on the weekend) and maintain that to help me lose weight through the winter and then build up to the 100 mile through the spring.

Nice one Phil. I have been following your progress/posts.

See you on Aug 4th :lol:

I am riding for Action Medical Research
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul