Sean Yates Quits

LeicesterLad
LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
edited May 2014 in Pro race
According to Inner Ring, According to Telegraph.

Sean Yates admits doping past and resigns.

Comments

• Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    A6PoQDzCAAA766n.jpg:large

Front page of the Telegraph.
  • LeicesterLad
    Shame he did the whole 'saw and heard nuffin' thing last week. :roll:
  • Turfle
    It's a shame that they all did that for the last 5, 10, 15, 20 years.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Bloody hell, the floodgates have opened!
  • That leaves Knaven*.

(*former TVM, Domo-Farm Frites, QuickStep, T-Mobile rider and 16 time finisher of Le Tour).
  • Turfle
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/others ... inues.html

"Dutchman Steven de Jongh, the Sky coach who largely looked after their classics team this summer, has also left the team in the wake of the Armstrong affair. "
  • Nothing personal, but Sean was never the right man for the job on so many levels.
  • LeicesterLad
    Says all riders have had interviews and all will sign declaration. So big Mick not going then?
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,123
    So Sky are the only team with skeletons in the closet? Hmm.....

While I applaud them, and for drawing a line in the sand - a pity none of the others are doing the same. And we know who they are. More double standards.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • Sutton next...................
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    That leaves Knaven*.

(*former TVM, Domo-Farm Frites, QuickStep, T-Mobile rider and 16 time finisher of Le Tour).

And Steven de Jongh, unless he's gone already?!
  • nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929
    And Steven de Jongh, unless he's gone already?!
    Rick, you've got to sharpen up.
    (See turfle's post 5 up)
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Sean was an utterly selfless rider and gained nothing much for himself from doping..he only helped others. I believe he has had heart problems too. He cut hedges and did landscape gardening after 1996...this was no millionaire athlete in my opinion. But, I agree with Brailsford now. He had to force them to quit some way. Bradley needs to apologise to Kimmage and Brailsford needs to as well. Then I will like that team again
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Dave_1 wrote:
    Sean was an utterly selfless rider and gained nothing much for himself from doping..he only helped others. I believe he has had heart problems too. He cut hedges and did landscape gardening after 1996...this was no millionaire athlete in my opinion. But, I agree with Brailsford now. He had to force them to quit some way. Bradley needs to apologise to Kimmage and Brailsford needs to as well. Then I will like that team again

Don't think they do need to apologize to Kimmage at all. Kimmage criticized Sky for having Yates on board, and also for not giving him the unfettered access to the team he wanted. I don't think Brailsford or Wiggins have said anything about kimmage directly so what would they be apologizing for? Perhaps they should apologize for having asked someone to join their team and asking if they had done anything bad in the past, getting a negative answer then employing them. When employing someone you have take an awful lot on trust; at least Sky asked the questions when they started up, which is more than other teams have done. Perhaps Brailsford should be taken to task on believing people too willingly; what an absolute idiot eh, or perhaps that shows how much faith he has in people.

I hope Yates does get a job; and that another team realizes what a great DS is now on the market.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • Dave B should go, he recruited riders he knew were dirty.

He safe is Rod I?

This could take out the entire management, bar none. Or it'll look like a bs pr exercise.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Sutton next...................

He might get away with it, gutsy but not stellar palmares (other than being an Halfords -ANC legend) IMO. Unless there is someone to dob him in.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Dave B should go, he recruited riders he knew were dirty.

He safe is Rod I?

This could take out the entire management, bar none. Or it'll look like a bs pr exercise.

Interesting..where's your evidence to support your claim that he knew that riders were dirty?

Its already been established that he was lied to by Barry in 2009, and then again in 2010

Rod Ellingworth was never a pro btw.

He might get away with it, gutsy but not stellar palmares (other than being an Halfords -ANC legend) IMO. Unless there is someone to dob him in.

Christ, that's all we need, news that Tony Capper was feeding them mothers little helpers :) As he fed them bugger all else, and didnt even pay them for that TdF, I think that's a safe no...
  • symo wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:

Don't think they do need to apologize to Kimmage at all. Kimmage criticized Sky for having Yates on board, and also for not giving him the unfettered access to the team he wanted. I don't think Brailsford or Wiggins have said anything about kimmage directly so what would they be apologizing for? Perhaps they should apologize for having asked someone to join their team and asking if they had done anything bad in the past, getting a negative answer then employing them. When employing someone you have take an awful lot on trust; at least Sky asked the questions when they started up, which is more than other teams have done. Perhaps Brailsford should be taken to task on believing people too willingly; what an absolute idiot eh, or perhaps that shows how much faith he has in people.

I hope Yates does get a job; and that another team realizes what a great DS is now on the market.

Agree. Christ, what is it will all these outcries for personal - but oh must be very public - apologies. 'Apologise to Landis', 'apologise to Kimmage'. Give me a break. If we're on the subject of apologies, there are have been none from CVV and crew to the many clean riders they did over. But really, I'm starting to tire of these mea culpa demands.
  • dave_1
    symo wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:

sorry I am slightly in error. You are right-Dave Brailsford doesn't need to apologise. But Bradley Wiggins does need to say sorry. He blocked Kimmage following Sky in 2010 and then said ‘where is Paul Kimmage, missed his cheery little face on the Tour this year.’ I also don't like his attack is the best form of defence method of dealing with being asked very very reasonable questions about drug taking in cycling. I'm not a fan.
  • Yellow Peril
    Sutton next...................

Christ, that's all we need, news that Tony Capper was feeding them mothers little helpers :) As he fed them bugger all else, and didnt even pay them for that TdF, I think that's a safe no...

LOL! Capper's house on the IOM is not far from where I live, I consider it a shrine. That team finishing the Tour has to one of the greatest stories ever. It needs top be made into a film with the usual Brit cast of Brenda Blethyn, Dame Helen Mirren and Julie Walters etc...
    @JaunePeril

• Yellow Peril
    Dave_1 wrote:
    symo wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:

sorry I am slightly in error. You are right-Dave Brailsford doesn't need to apologise. But Bradley Wiggins does need to say sorry. He blocked Kimmage following Sky in 2010 and then said ‘where is Paul Kimmage, missed his cheery little face on the Tour this year.’ I also don't like his attack is the best form of defence method of dealing with being asked very very reasonable questions about drug taking in cycling. I'm not a fan.

Doesn't mean an apology is in order Dave, yes Kimmage was right but he may have just been a complete tw@t banging on about stuff all the time when the guys wanted to talk about other stuff or prep or just be alone. If Kimmage is entitled to an apology then Biking Bernie should be let back on the forum with apologies to him too.
    @JaunePeril

• dave_1
    Dave_1 wrote:
    symo wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:

Doesn't mean an apology is in order Dave, yes Kimmage was right but he may have just been a complete tw@t banging on about stuff all the time when the guys wanted to talk about other stuff or prep or just be alone. If Kimmage is entitled to an apology then Biking Bernie should be let back on the forum with apologies to him too.

Sadly, with all the revelations of the last few weeks I am willing to take everything Kimmage says as fact and nothing that comes out the mouth of a TDF winner...Paul seemed welcome at Garmin. Think Wiggins is a dissapointment in some ways

LOL! Capper's house on the IOM is not far from where I live, I consider it a shrine. That team finishing the Tour has to one of the greatest stories ever. It needs top be made into a film with the usual Brit cast of Brenda Blethyn, Dame Helen Mirren and Julie Walters etc...

I would pay seriously good money to see that film. Written and directed by Mike Leigh, I reckon. Richard Griffiths to play Capper.
  • Dave_1 wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:
    symo wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:

Sadly, with all the revelations of the last few weeks I am willing to take everything Kimmage says as fact and nothing that comes out the mouth of a TDF winner...Paul seemed welcome at Garmin. Think Wiggins is a dissapointment in some ways

Taking the view that everything that comes out of Kimmage's mouth as fact, is a very very dangerous thing (and I would say this about anyone). It means that old scores could be paid off, his personal likes and dislikes slavishly adopted unquestioningly. Its open to abuse beyond reason.
  • dave_1
    Dave_1 wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:
    symo wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:

Taking the view that everything that comes out of Kimmage's mouth as fact, is a very very dangerous thing (and I would say this about anyone). It means that old scores could be paid off, his personal likes and dislikes slavishly adopted unquestioningly. Its open to abuse beyond reason.

He seems to always be right when it comes to riders doping. Bradley Wiggins at the TDF press conference with his Lance like rejection of legit well founded concerns of the press is what I will remember. However, in Wiggo's defence, the number crunchers are right ..he isn't very fast compared to his drugged predecessors so there is hope perhaps..but still he needs to sort things out with Kimmage
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    edited October 2012
    Dave1, maybe organise a blind date for just Wiggins and Kimmage and then run like hell?

With their personalities, plus the mass of detracting stuff that Kimmage has put out about Wiggins and Sky over the last 2.5 years...cant see it happening.

Fact is that a huge mistake was made by Sky back in 2010 with that Tour invite and Kimmage. They should have known that he would never ever let it go, and has been a thorn in their side ever since.

But in a way, I do agree with you that it would be helpful if some kind of rapprochment was achieved with Kimmage - but at the team management level - because he is not going to stop providing some kind of rallying point for all the doubters and the more they refuse to engage directly with him, the less likely it is to get resolved.
  • dave_1
    Dave1, maybe organise a blind date for just Wiggins and Kimmage and then run like hell?

With their personalities, plus the mass of detracting stuff that Kimmage has put out about Wiggins and Sky over the last 2.5 years...cant see it happening.

Fact is that a huge mistake was made by Sky back in 2010 with that Tour invite and Kimmage. They should have known that he would never ever let it go, and has been a thorn in their side ever since.

To me Kimmage's cred is so enhanced now..it's in the riders best interest to maintain good relationships with him otherwise I will wonder if they are of the omerta.
  • Dave_1 wrote:

To me Kimmage's cred is so enhanced now..it's in the riders best interest to maintain good relationships with him otherwise I will wonder if they are of the omerta.

I've just added to my post above - I kind of agree with you
  • dave_1
    Dave_1 wrote:

I've just added to my post above - I kind of agree with you

Yes, would really be ideal if kimmage had an official position within the sport now. That would be great to see.