Campagnolo Veloce Vs Sram Rival Vs 105/tiagra?

mogsawerble4
mogsawerble4 Posts: 24
edited October 2012 in Road beginners
Looking at buying a better road bike after having a cheap sora equipped raleigh and wasn't sure about which group set to choose, I have read that you should attempt to try them all but this is difficult as there are no good bike shops near me (grrr!)

Thanks in advance for all replies.

Comments

• Try them all, see which you like.

Campag and SRAM don't have ugly cranksets though.
  • rrsodl
    rrsodl Posts: 486
    JamesB5446 wrote:
    Try them all, see which you like.

Campag and SRAM don't have ugly cranksets though.

Obviously, you didm't understand the OP's post :D
  • juankerr
    juankerr Posts: 1,099
    I've got 105 & Rival and prefer Rival.
  • RRSODL wrote:
    Obviously, you didm't understand the OP's post :D
    I did, he should make the effort.

I like Campag, the guy above likes SRAM, OP might not.
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    It's worth trying them, even if there are no shops nearby... Take a day to travel somewhere which stocks them all. The most important difference for me is hood shape, and for that reason I prefer Campag. I also prefer the 1 lever, 1 thumbshift of Campag and don't much like the 2 lever of Shimano.
  • Surely you must know friends who have bikes you can look at?

I have Campag, I detest Shimano. My wife has Shimano, and detests Campag. That is why you really do need to try them, so you should find a way.
    Ridley Orion
  • Thanks for the advice, I'm going to a large bike shop soon and then I will see how each of them feels and make a decision.
  • rrsodl
    For what is worth, I prefer compag cause they suit my small hands better. They come with a little device to make it more suitable for bigger hands but I don't know how well that works. On the other hand, Shimano has a device to make them more suitable to small hands but I have not tried that.

I think that Shimmano look better on a bike though.

I read somewhere that Cmpag are lighter than Shimano, no idea by how much.
  • RRSODL wrote:
    Really?
  • RRSODL wrote:

Inconsequentially. :lol:

I mean, the difference in weight between Tiagra and Dura Ace is little enough as it is. :wink:
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    RRSODL wrote:

C+ did a test recently, Apex vs 105 (new) vs Campag something (Centaur?)

105 heaviest by about (wait for it) 500g - which is quite a lot really :shock:

They liked Apex best, mostly due to insane gear range

As others have said, it's a lot of money, try before you buy and post your results on here

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I have Campag, I detest Shimano. My wife has Shimano, and detests Campag. That is why you really do need to try them, so you should find a way.

Are we talking about wives or groupsets?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    ^^^ teehee...
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    I porsonally feel that Sram offers best value for money - but the "feel" of the groupset is very personal.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Big Campag fan. As someone else has said, the hood shape just works for me and the "one lever, one thumbie" is excellent. I had 10 speed Veloce on my first road bike, it was exemplary in it's shifting and reliability. I now have Centaur on current road bike and it's been, and continues to be, superb.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Asprilla wrote:

Are we talking about wives or groupsets?

Definitely talking groupsets. My first wife didn't like any groupset, so I chopped her for one who did ;)
    Ridley Orion
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    There all good. I prefer shimano - but campag has performed well for me in the past - as has sora.

Personal preference - but I don't think theres a 'dud' amongst then
  • rrsodl
    JamesB5446 wrote:
    RRSODL wrote:
    Really?

Yes, personal taste :D but I still have campag on two bikes :)
  • Sentral
    Sentral Posts: 64
    Big Campag fan. As someone else has said, the hood shape just works for me and the "one lever, one thumbie" is excellent. I had 10 speed Veloce on my first road bike, it was exemplary in it's shifting and reliability. I now have Centaur on current road bike and it's been, and continues to be, superb.
    Having recently splurged £1200 on a bike equipped with Campag then suddenly having major buyers remorse after talking to a campag-hater, you've made me feel a lot better about the decision... Thanks! :D
  • PeeDee
    PeeDee Posts: 88
    I have tried all three manufactures and I wouldn't say any of them was a bad choice. Whichever you choose you will wish you had bought one of the others, then after a while you will decide you really like it after all.