Help with HR

flyer
flyer Posts: 608
edited October 2012 in Road beginners
Having been off the bike for about 18 months and stacked on some weight, I am now starting again.

I did 20 miles yesterday and want to make "steady" progress as its purely for fitness.

I am about to start and measure my cadence, HR etc however I am 53 and 17 stone so I don't want to over do it and need to make sure I am riding at a reasonable pace but still safe for my age etc.

Can anyone advise me what a safe HR hold be? and also what cadance I should aim for given my age, weight and how unfit I am.

In the past I have done 50 miles without any problems but at the moment I am 3 stone heavier and want to build up gradually.

Any help much appreciated

Thanks

Flyer

Comments

• danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Ignore the HR and ride at a pace you can maintain a conversation at (without gasping for air), this should give you a steady pace without pushing too hard.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I'm not too far short of your vast age but have never used a HR device. Go with what danowat says and ignore numbers. If it's any help my avg cadence is usually in the low 80s for a decent ride but can be anything from 60-odd to 120. Meaningless outside of context.
  • 16mm
    16mm Posts: 545
    +1. If you want to train harder, ride so you can't talk easily. It's a good measure of effort, although sometimes a HR monitor is quick to remind you if you've started going to easy/hard.
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    16mm wrote:
    +1. If you want to train harder, ride so you can't talk easily. It's a good measure of effort, although sometimes a HR monitor is quick to remind you if you've started going to easy/hard.

HR monitors CAN be useful (although there are a raft of reasons' why it's not), however, in this instance, the protocol for determining the zones probably isn't suitable for someone like the OP to do.
  • BobScarle
    BobScarle Posts: 282
    I am 53 as well and started the year nearly 17 stone, but I will end the year almost 3 stone lighter than that. You will know yourself when you are working hard and when you have pushed that little bit too much. Keep it sensible and ride steadily, not necessarily easily, build up a good base over the winter. In the spring you can push on.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    What are your goals? If you just want to start riding further then you don't need a HR and cadence monitor. Simply increase the amount of time you spend on your bike and the distance will come.

If you're training for something specific, e.g. finish a club 10 TT in under 26 minutes, then you'll get better results by focusing on specific training using heart rate rather than just "on feel". For most of us, our time on the bike is limited and we want to get the most out of the training you can do.

If you do want to properly train with HR, you'll need to conduct a maximum heart rate test. This involves pushing yourself harder and harder to work out what your max heart rate is. Given your comments about age and weight, you may want to seek some professional advice before doing one of these, as it puts quite a load on your body and heart. A pro would also then be able to explain the numbers to you, work out your training zones and help create an achievable training plan. If you're a member of a gym then they often offer this for free.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    BobScarle wrote:
    I am 53 as well and started the year nearly 17 stone, but I will end the year almost 3 stone lighter than that. You will know yourself when you are working hard and when you have pushed that little bit too much. Keep it sensible and ride steadily, not necessarily easily, build up a good base over the winter. In the spring you can push on.

Wow, good job!
  • BobScarle
    BobScarle Posts: 282
    lotus49 wrote:
    Wow, good job!

Thanks for that. I am not there yet but with two months to go I need to lose about another 6 pounds. It makes a big difference especially when climbing.
  • flyer
    flyer Posts: 608
    BobScarle wrote:
    That's fantastic, I lost 4 stone 7 years ago through biking and change of diet but over the past 2 years have managed to put it back on again!!!

I know it's a slog at first but gets easier, you have done brilliant and its great to hear, keep it up and thanks for the advise

Ian