Can you Upshift from the drops with campag's thumb lever?

mogsawerble4
mogsawerble4 Posts: 24
edited October 2012 in Road beginners
I currently have a bike with sora and because my thumbs and hands are quite small I cannot upshift from the drops. I know that veloce like all campag group sets has a thumb lever like sora but I was unsure wether or not you could upshift from the drops on veloce?

Thanks in advance for all replies

Comments

• I have what I would describe as medium size hands, yes I can easily upshift using Veloce, when riding in the drops.
    Ridley Orion
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Yup - the Campag thumb levers are much larger and further back on the lever-body - so you can reach them on the drops.

Check out the pictures on this old thread. viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=12562166
    The Campag lever is the old-shape - but the position is identical.
  • Thanks for the replies!
  • I have relatively small hands with short fingers, and *I* can reach the Campagnolo thumb levers.
    They use their cars as shopping baskets; they use their cars as overcoats.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I've always wondered about that too. It's the one thing that's put me off Campag. Never had the chance to try it, Campag seems thin on the ground up here.

One thing I liked when I had Sora on my tourer was that it was easier to change gear with thick gloves on, much harder with 105/Dura Ace. I imagine Campag would be similar.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    unixnerd wrote:
    One thing I liked when I had Sora on my tourer was that it was easier to change gear with thick gloves on, much harder with 105/Dura Ace. I imagine Campag would be similar.

Campag more so - there's a very positive feel to gear changes though the levers, especially with the ultra shift versions of the ergos where the thumb levers travel right down under the body.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    I've got Sora and must admit I'm not a fan of the buttons on the side, they are a pain when on the drops...

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    I've got Sora on my winter bike, Veloce on my "best bike. It's like chalk and cheese.

The Sora button is poorly placed and using on the drops is impossible (for me anyway).
    The Veloce button is just right and changes in the drops are dead simple and reliable.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Campag you can upshift on the drops, on the hoods or on the tops - try doing that with Shramano!
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Yes you can, very easily as has been stated.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris