Delicate subject - numb nuts and stem length

gimmiespacerock
gimmiespacerock Posts: 12
edited October 2012 in Road beginners
Hello all and apologies in advance for the delicate nature of my post.

Quick bit of background - I'm 42 and I've been fitness riding on my hybrid on and off for years with no issues. I also have been running about 25 miles per week for years, so my general fitness levels are OK. About 6 weeks ago I took the plunge and bought a Focus Cayo 3.0 from my LBS. All is going well generally speaking. I've ridden 3 times each week increasing my mileage gently from 50 the first week to 65 last week. Completed my first 30 mile ride last week in average 17.5mph and managed my 21 mile time trial route in 18.7mph the day after. Really starting to feel at one with my steed - just loving it really.

I have just one negative and that is a bit of numbness down below. Basically, I've got a numb patch on the left side of my scrotum which I first noticed about two weeks after getting the bike, and which has been there pretty much permanently since. I was also getting a very sore backside to start with and I thought it was to do with the rubbish cheapo shorts I was wearing for the first 3 weeks. Since buying a decent pair of bib shorts the sore backside problem has improved massively but the numb patch hasn't.

I had a slipped disk 5 years ago and as I had a bit of lower back discomfort and sciatic pain at the end of my second week, my LBS flipped the stem to sit me up a bit. I found that this didn't really improve my comfort (and just felt plain wrong) and after a week I flipped the stem back and raised the bars one 'ring' and this has increased my comfort greatly. The other problem I was having was that I felt like I was constantly having to shuffle back on the saddle - ie I felt like I was slipping forward so that I wasn't getting the proper support on my sit bones, even though the saddle was completely level. I adjusted the seat to it's fully forward position and it does seem to have helped.

So now I can ride for 30 miles and I don't have any discomfort or numbness during the ride (although I haven't had a 'rummage round' to be absolutely sure!) but I still have this constant numb patch.

My gut feeling is that my reach is too long on the bike. I think at 171cm I am on the small side for the M frame Cayo. The seat post is only raised by about 1 inch so this bike could fit a much taller rider. I suspect this is resulting in the distance to the bars being a bit too long. When I'm on the hoods the hub is fully visible below the line of the bars (ie the bars are well in-front of my eye-hub line of sight. I suspect that even though my weight is on my sit-bones, I am having to lean from the hips to reach so far forward that my perineal area and the nerves contained therein are being irritated on the saddle.

I know I could just raise the bars further and this would decrease the amount that I tilt from the hips, and I have tried this, but I still feel that the reach is too long. I have also tried tilting the saddle nose down very slightly but this hasn't helped. I think a shorter stem by about 3-4 cm would really help - I feel much more comfortable with my hands 3-4cm back from the hoods.

Does this sound about right? Is swapping the stem for a shorter one something that my LBS would be expected to do as part of getting my bike to fit?

Finally, has anyone else had a similar experience? I'm not sure whether I should be visiting my GP just in case as 3-4 weeks seems a long time to have a numb patch?

Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• si. d
    si. d Posts: 52
    If it's any help i've been very impressed by a chap in Bristol who does the Specialized BG fit process. The only advice I could offer from that is to be wary of anecdotal advice and speak to an expert. I don't mean to discredit the collective knowledge of a forum, but everybody and bike frame is different which makes it a complicated science.
    FCN- 4 with Laser designator sights
  • greentea
    greentea Posts: 180
    A constant numb patch?

I would get that checked out asap.

It shouldnt be 'constant'. :shock:
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Don't ride the bike and take some ibuprofen (thats saved you a trip to the gp)

I have similar problems to you - it started of as back pain, then moved to ass pain, and now groin pain. I don't have a fix for you - but heres some stuff that has helped

Pro bike fit (£150 +) - at least this will rule out a bike fit issue

See a sports injury physio

Pilates - enroll on a class - and try different ones

Saddle with a cut out - I have a selle smp trk - only about £30

get yourself to a gym and try these excecises (these have really helped me)

Don't ride the bike and take some ibuprofen (thats saved you a trip to the gp)

I have similar problems to you - it started of as back pain, then moved to ass pain, and now groin pain. I don't have a fix for you - but heres some stuff that has helped

Pro bike fit (£150 +) - at least this will rule out a bike fit issue

See a sports injury physio

Pilates - enroll on a class - and try different ones

Saddle with a cut out - I have a selle smp trk - only about £30

get yourself to a gym and try these excecises (these have really helped me)

http://www.runningtimes.com/Article.asp ... &PageNum=3
  • boogi11
    boogi11 Posts: 354
    im currently going through this, and am at my wits end, im considering packing up biking, i am on my second saddle, and have changed seat heights as well as for and aft position, while i dont suffer from long term numbness, i have done some damage as things are not as as wella sthey should be!!!!!

doctors in three weeks, but i cant see him being a lot of good, im contemplating a bike fit, but feel i may just be throwing £100 down the drain
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    I had to change my saddle from the stock carrera one, as this also gave me some numbness although not constant would go, I never had the issue on the MTB so put the same charge spoon on the road bike and its all fine.
  • kingrollo
    boogi11 wrote:
    im currently going through this, and am at my wits end, im considering packing up biking, i am on my second saddle, and have changed seat heights as well as for and aft position, while i dont suffer from long term numbness, i have done some damage as things are not as as wella sthey should be!!!!!

doctors in three weeks, but i cant see him being a lot of good, im contemplating a bike fit, but feel i may just be throwing £100 down the drain

I really wouldn't think like that. Yes its expensive - but even if it doesn't cure the problem - your know you have your fit bang on - which can never be a bad thing.
  • greentea
    Seriously? a month later and yer left rollock is still numb?

And youre asking us, a bunch of cyclists with no PHD in Medicine whatsoever?

Get down the fookin doctors! if my baby-makers were numb i'd be down there like a shot, we're the last people to ask! :shock:
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    My gut feeling is that my reach is too long on the bike. I think at 171cm I am on the small side for the M frame Cayo. The seat post is only raised by about 1 inch so this bike could fit a much taller rider. I suspect this is resulting in the distance to the bars being a bit too long. When I'm on the hoods the hub is fully visible below the line of the bars (ie the bars are well in-front of my eye-hub line of sight. I suspect that even though my weight is on my sit-bones, I am having to lean from the hips to reach so far forward that my perineal area and the nerves contained therein are being irritated on the saddle.

Thanks for any replies.

unless you have arms like a baboons or very short legs and long uppe body then I'd say your gut feel is right. On modern sloping top tub bike to have only 1" of seat post showing seems odd, backed up by the fact you can see the hub below the bars.

Howeevr if you back isn;t very flexible a smaller frame will mean you are more ass up dead down whioch might be an issue. I would definately try and find shorter stem, and move the seat as far forward as it will go on the saddle rails. plus speak to the docs about your numb patch, regardless of whether at 42 you still have a desire to reproduce or not!

numbness after a long ride isn't an issue, but it should wear off pretty soon.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    Get a saddle with a cut out ASAP.

When I started out biking a few years ago I was using the stock saddle on my CX bike. After the first long ride (50 miles) i did, I had very bad numbness in the genital area. Basically one side of of my penis went completely numb and stayed that way. I realised that the saddle was putting huge pressure on the perineal area. I soon replaced the saddle with a cut out model, but it took a good 8-12 weeks to get full feeling back down there. I must have compressed a nerve during that single ride and nerve damage takes a very long to recover from.

After having the right saddle, I now am problem free. So my advice would be not to waste any more time with the saddle you are on and get something with a cut out from Specialized or Selle Italia.
  • boogi11
    boogi11 Posts: 354
    robbo2011 wrote:
    Get a saddle with a cut out ASAP.

When I started out biking a few years ago I was using the stock saddle on my CX bike. After the first long ride (50 miles) i did, I had very bad numbness in the genital area. Basically one side of of my penis went completely numb and stayed that way. I realised that the saddle was putting huge pressure on the perineal area. I soon replaced the saddle with a cut out model, but it took a good 8-12 weeks to get full feeling back down there. I must have compressed a nerve during that single ride and nerve damage takes a very long to recover from.

After having the right saddle, I now am problem free. So my advice would be not to waste any more time with the saddle you are on and get something with a cut out from Specialized or Selle Italia.

You have given me some hope them, I have switched to a specalized toupe plus, but I'm still numb, don't think I'll be having many more kids at the moment , twelve weeks you say, did you Go to the doctors or just wait it out
  • kingrollo
    greentea wrote:

Get down the fookin doctors! if my baby-makers were numb i'd be down there like a shot, we're the last people to ask! :shock:

You make the assumption that the GP will:-

Be interested

be able to diagnose the problem

Be willing to refer you on if he is unsure

Most likley scenario is that GP will assure its caused by cycling, its nothing to worry about, - I really don't know where this confidence in GP's comes from. The only time I see my GP is if I need to be referred on .....and recently hes not even willing to do that.....
  • greentea
    kingrollo wrote:
    greentea wrote:

Be interested

Most likley scenario is that GP will assure its caused by cycling, its nothing to worry about, - I really don't know where this confidence in GP's comes from. The only time I see my GP is if I need to be referred on .....and recently hes not even willing to do that.....

And you make the assumption i give a shjt. :shock:
    I don't.
  • kingrollo
    greentea wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:
    greentea wrote:

Be interested

I don't.

????? Why make that comment ?

My general point was that your GP is next to useless for sports injuries
  • kingrollo
    Stanley222 wrote:
    greentea wrote:
    I don't.

???
    I think what was trying to be said was that your Dr might not know the answer and probably just suggest giving up cycling - dont think anyone was having a go at you or your comment!

Read some of his other posts - you'll get the picture.
  • I've had a similar experience recently with numb nuts. I've been experimenting with saddles, as my Aliante would make the old fella pretty numb pretty quickly. I put an ISM saddle on to try and I think my first cycle with that it was in a very wrong position. I had the same as you, a numb scrotum for probably 2 weeks. It still happens but not as bad, and the feeling comes back quicker now, maybe 2 days or so. I don't want this to sound weird, but I find massaging the numb area can help get the feeling back as it will stimulate the blood flow. Do you need a better excuse!!?? :D

I still don't think this is the right saddle for me, I think the numbness must be caused by a nerve getting compressed somewhere. I have just bough a Spesh Toupe to see if that's any better.

Good luck!
  • jay197
    jay197 Posts: 196
    What model saddle are you using, and it's width?

Do you find yourself sitting forward or moving on the narrower "nose" section of the saddle also?
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    @kingrollo... To paraphrase your post, I don't know where this negativity about your local GP and the incapability of the NHS to deal with anything more challenging than a cut finger is based...

If I was in the shoes of the op and i had permanently numb nuts I would get down to the surgery immediately and I have no doubt that he would be dealt with appropriately. I have had a little tenderness in my left testicle recently caused mainly by running. I was booked in for ultrasound very quickly and the problem was diagnosed and dealt with quickly along with a whole host of other tests.

Once that is sorted, the op can make all the bike adjustments he wants
  • kingrollo
    Mikey23 wrote:
    @kingrollo... To paraphrase your post, I don't know where this negativity about your local GP and the incapability of the NHS to deal with anything more challenging than a cut finger is based...

If I was in the shoes of the op and i had permanently numb nuts I would get down to the surgery immediately and I have no doubt that he would be dealt with appropriately. I have had a little tenderness in my left testicle recently caused mainly by running. I was booked in for ultrasound very quickly and the problem was diagnosed and dealt with quickly along with a whole host of other tests.

Once that is sorted, the op can make all the bike adjustments he wants

OK You asked.....

I have groin & buttock painat the moment - and more recently the tingling and soreness has crept into the crown jewels - so i went to the GP - explained I was slightly concerned my prostate might be damaged or inflamed - and asked him to 'check me out' - He verbally assured me that it wasn't anything to do with prostate - checked the gonads said he couldn't see any problem.

As my problem had been going on for well over a year - I gave him a leaflet for a sports injury service at my local NHS hospital - and asked to be referred - I was told this service was only for elite athletes and not for people who just did sport as a pass time or to keep fit. I then pointed out that the leaflet stated 'for people of all sporting abilities' - still no referral - as MRI's on my spine had come back clear - GP said i had already the treatment that the sports injury clinic would do.

previously I have had steroid injections in my back - one low dose jab typically gives me between 3-5 years relief. last time I went to gp as my back had flared again. I was told by the gp that the surgeon was highly unlikely to offer further injections - eventually I got referred - and surgeon said that the frequency and dosage of the jabs wouldn't do any damage - and was happy to do the jab.

Most worryingly though - last winter my teenage daughter had to be collected from school as she felt the need to constantly puff her inhaler - the advice from the GP consultation - 'take the same inhaler 4 times a day' ! - 24 hours later my daughter is in A+E - and is given a steroid inhaler - within hours is feeling much better !

Friend up the road went to same GP - as in a period of months - he had 3 chest infections - each causing wheezy chest lasting 3 weeks or more ........said GP said he had 'just been unlucky' - moved GP - and was diagnosed with asthma pretty swiftly......

a while back I severley twisted my ankle on holiday - I was walking with a stick ! - I also had noticed that a mole on my chest was itching more than normal - told GP of both problems and was told 'i only have 10 minutes allocated - which problem did I want dealt with' - after the referral had been made - i got letter through the post telling me to book an online appointment - using the password the GP had given me........except no password was given by the gp...

......I could go on.......

I think the whole notion of the GP service is flawed - if you think about the basic model hasn't changed in 60 years - Walk in centers should be the way forward - sadly thats a million miles away from what is being proposed.
  • Mikey23
    Ok, I get what you are saying, I guess Halesowen isn't the place to be if you rely on the NHS
  • Mikey23
    Sorry, pressed the button too quick. Was going to say that it ain't perfect but its the only one we have. My concern for the op is that he might spend the next six months fiddling with bikey bits, changing things millimetre by millimetre, only to find he has been suffering with testicular cancer. In which case advice to the contrary might not be helpful