best beginner shoes, cleats and pedal combo??

gordi4738
gordi4738 Posts: 3
edited October 2012 in Road beginners
i've bought a SH trek 1.5 which has been upgraded with a full 105 groupset so the obvious next step is pedals and shoes etc.....but it seems a bit of a jungle when figuring out what fits who and where?? all i want is cheapish reliable and compatible combo any suggestions?? i mainly commute (20mile round journey) and then about 40mile max on days off

Comments

• alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    If you want to be able to walk in them.. then MTB shoes with Shimano SPD pedals and cleats.

If you don't need to be able to walk in them I'd be looking at Shimano SPD-SL pedals and cleats.

Shoes are all about fit so go into a few LBS and try some.
  • Xingzd
    Xingzd Posts: 2
    Shimano R540 pedal + R087 SPD SL shoes can be a good choice
  • KulaBen
    KulaBen Posts: 220
    Shimano 105 SPD-SLs are good, had mine 2 years with no probs. Currently under £40 on Merlin. As for shoes, I guess fit is the main thing. I have some basic Spesh BG ones that i can recommend, but the shimano and DHB shoes get good write-ups for the price.
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    ive just got shimano shoes and spd sl pedals and cleats and so far so good,,do try some on though as fit can vary even for same size shoe.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • FlacVest
    FlacVest Posts: 100
    elderone wrote:
    ive just got shimano shoes and spd sl pedals and cleats and so far so good,,do try some on though as fit can vary even for same size shoe.

Same here; 105 pedals with Shimano shoes... love the combo.

If you're looking for a quality pedal, the 105 is great; basically the ultegra but a bit heavier. I'd suggest trying the shoes on; if you aren't near a LBS as I'm not, go try on some running shoes, and then make the conversion there.

I wear Nike running shoes, the ones everybody has with the weird multi-cubed bottom? Size 45 and they fit like a glove. I opted for 46 and these are great; a bit of room to grow but I'm able to double up on socks or whatever when the temperature drops.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Pedals as above; shoes - try before you buy. I've got mahoosively wide feet so Shimano are useless; ended up with some Spesh jobs.

There's a million pedal threads on here, so just take your pick :)

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    I'm a cheapskate Yorkshireman so I bought a pair of Shimano R087s online (almost half-price) to go with my 105 SPD-SL pedals. I was taking a bit of a punt on their fitting though as I couldn't bring myself to go into my LBS, try some on and then buy online. Fortunately, they do fit but shoe sizes are unpredictable even within the same brand so buy pedals online by all means (105s £29.99 on eBay) but you are taking a bit of a risk doing the same with shoes (unless they accept returns and even then you probably have to pay postage).
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    call yourself a yorkshireman? Proper yorkshireman here. Shimano 520 entry-level pedals at £26, Muddy Fox shoes from sports direct £20. I've ridden nearly 500 miles now in 6 weeks on this combo and the shoes are perfectly fine for the money. I will upgrade next spring when i have an income again.
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    Sprool wrote:
    call yourself a yorkshireman? Proper yorkshireman here. Shimano 520 entry-level pedals at £26, Muddy Fox shoes from sports direct £20. I've ridden nearly 500 miles now in 6 weeks on this combo and the shoes are perfectly fine for the money. I will upgrade next spring when i have an income again.

When I were a lad my dad screwed my feet to t'pedals wi' wood screws. Them were t'days.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Sprool wrote:
    Proper yorkshireman here. Shimano 520 entry-level pedals at £26
    As a Lancashire man I wouldn't pay more than £20 for M520s! Very good pedals and would be seen on a lot more road bikes if they weren't classified as mountain bike pedals.
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    bugger, i paid well over the odds for my 520's in order to support my local LBS. Got a good deal off my Scott S30 though.