How to sit on the seat and wear a jacket?

boogi11
boogi11 Posts: 354
edited October 2012 in Road beginners
Hi all, 2 different questions so here goes

1. How are you supposed to sit on the seat, or you meant to sit on the back of the seat. I.e. the bony bit on the seat, or do you sit more forward and wedge the seat in your ass? I don't mean to be stupid but I could do with knowing.

2. Obviously winter is drawing in and I was freezing on my last ride, so I'm going to invest in a jacket at the weekend, but I don't know where to start, I want one good product to see me through winter. Do you take a waterproof and wear it over the top, or are the wind jackets waterproof, what do you wear underneath, base layer? Jersey? Both ?

Any help appreciated

Comments

• bondurant
    bondurant Posts: 858
    Saddle - your sit bones are your contact points, typically on the wider part of the saddle. Usually a bit further back when climbing, a little forward if you're on the drops say. Not with the pointy bit jammed in your &rse.
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    boogi11 wrote:
    Obviously winter is drawing in and I was freezing on my last ride, so I'm going to invest in a jacket at the weekend, but I don't know where to start, I want one good product to see me through winter. Do you take a waterproof and wear it over the top, or are the wind jackets waterproof, what do you wear underneath, base layer? Jersey? Both ?
    Ooooh, there's a whole thread about winter jackets :shock: To cut a long story short, there isn't one jacket that will do it all and what is worn underneath depends on temperature, ride distance etc.... If it's less than 5C, but dry, a base layer and softshell is good. If it's colder than that, an extra layer underneath it along with winter gloves. If it's raining, that's a whole other question.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • boogi11
    boogi11 Posts: 354
    It would have been cheaper to take up motor racing than cycling! God only knows where a gillet fits into all of this?
    I'll go to my lbs and see what they have, misses is going to freak out, especially when dpd deliver my rollers and garmin in the morning, Whoop whoop
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    Windproof jackets tend to be waterproof. You can get ones which are slightly more waterproof than others. I go out with mine on, then if I feel I'm a bit warm I'll take it off and fold it inside my jersey pocket. Here's mine: Pearl Izumi Elite Barrier Long Sleeve Jacket.

Underneath I wear a base layer + short sleeve jersey. During really cold rides I'll put on leg warmers, overshoes, buff (for face) and walz cap.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Jackets, a softshell windproof jacket with a long sleeve base layer will see you through cold weather, a lot of softshell jackets will be shower proof. If you want a waterproof jacket go for something like Gore Bikewear, slightly expensive but as breathable as you get(nothing is completely breathable).
    You tend do get what you pay for and if you follow the washing instructions they'll last, check reviews on sites like wiggle etc to get the right size and fit.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Mikey41 wrote:
    Ooooh, there's a whole thread about winter jackets :shock: To cut a long story short, there isn't one jacket that will do it all and what is worn underneath depends on temperature, ride distance etc.

as i said on that thread, I manage fine with just a Foska Winter jacket. Waterproof {tick}, windproof {tick} and breathable {tick}
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • There's an interesting article about position when on the saddle here

http://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/blog/2011/09/all-about-smps/
  • ElLawro
    ElLawro Posts: 59
    Just sit on it and peddle. The Bicycle is a simple machine!! Your arse will find the 'right' position!!
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    ElLawro wrote:
    Just sit on it and peddle. The Bicycle is a simple machine!! Your ars* will find the 'right' position!!
    Peddle what?
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • ElLawro
    ElLawro Posts: 59
    Herbsman wrote:
    ElLawro wrote:
    Just sit on it and peddle. The Bicycle is a simple machine!! Your ars* will find the 'right' position!!
    Peddle what?
    Whoops :lol: