Road surface drains my energy

Rulebritania
Rulebritania Posts: 209
edited October 2012 in Road beginners
I went out today and for the first time on my 23rd ride and could not believe how draining the rough surface on one the roads was. Within minutes I felt the energy draining from my body. When i got onto smoother roads I regained it somewhat but I've not experienced that before.
I was only about 9 miles into my second 30+
Don't call me sir I work for a living

Comments

• Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    I hate rough tarmac, it's harder to pedal over and even worse when it's in the middle of a climb. Oh well, just gotta get used to it. :(
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • Roads in UK are generally pretty cack. That woodchip style tarmaccing has got to be the worst. Whose stupid idea was that?
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    Reduce your tyre pressure. It'll make the ride smoother and you'll save energy because the wheel won't be bouncing around.

I used to keep me TP topped up around 120, I noticed an increase in speed when I brought it down to 100-110, even on the roads which were smooth-ish.
  • +1 for checking your tyre pressure, I used to have mine up in the 120 psi region and now ride with around 110 up front and 95 on the rear, I don't feel so beat up by the road surface anymore and my average speed is up slightly since the change.
  • TakeTurns wrote:
    Reduce your tyre pressure. It'll make the ride smoother and you'll save energy because the wheel won't be bouncing around.

I used to keep me TP topped up around 120, I noticed an increase in speed when I brought it down to 100-110, even on the roads which were smooth-ish.

I dread the pot holes which may then damage the wheel or am I being over careful :?:
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Roads in UK are generally pretty cack. That woodchip style tarmaccing has got to be the worst. Whose stupid idea was that?

They've started laying this cr4p in West Berkshire now...I guess its to save money, I suppose it's cheap...it's transformed one of the main roads I use into a giant pile of festering donky crap to ride on...bring back that more expensive dark black stuff love it when you hit that stuff!
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    TakeTurns wrote:

I dread the pot holes which may then damage the wheel or am I being over careful :?:

You're fine over 85PSI mate...ride at 100 if it's hurting you won't get pinch flats @ 100 or even 90. I ride at 110 on training bike and 120 in a race...but 100 would be more forgiving without any risk but a bit slower.
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    DavidJB wrote:
    They've started laying this cr4p in West Berkshire now...I guess its to save money, I suppose it's cheap...it's transformed one of the main roads I use into a giant pile of festering donky crap to ride on...bring back that more expensive dark black stuff love it when you hit that stuff!
    Ah yes, that surface is really bad. Sadly the back roads up here hardly ever get touched as you can see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp9OK3hpnSA

Bit bumpy huh.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • With a government who promote cycling, local authorities clearly don't because of the state of many of the roads covered in that rougher than a dinosaurs back tarmac.