Chain matching cassette and cranks?

itguy2
itguy2 Posts: 88
edited October 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi everyone

I've got a 2012 Lap Zesty 514.

I've never been too happy with the shifting performance on it ever since it was new. Shop has done numerious setups for me and it's still only mediocre when compared to my hardtail (2010 orange crush with race face chainset / SRAM x9 rear and deere front mech - SRAM x7 shifters).

On the zesty it has a Deore cassette, slx crankset, slx front mech and xt rear mech. slx shifters.

I've noticed it has a kmc x10 chain though and not a shimano one. Does this matter?

My initial thoughts are to upgrade the cassette to an xt one, together with an xt chain - surely that would be beneficial?

Are Kmc chains ok?

Cheers

Lapierre Zesty 514 &
Orange Crush 2010

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Makes little difference with chains. Or cassettes. Check the cables are free running.

XT shifters are lighter in action and smoother though.
  • itguy2
    itguy2 Posts: 88
    Thanks

The stuff that seems to be problematic for it is hopping up onto the big ring at the front (seems to take a while) and then adjusting the front mech to not rub the chain for the extremes of the chain angle for the cassette. It's not that I run these extremes as a matter of course, more just in the heat of the moment!

Lapierre Zesty 514 &
    Orange Crush 2010
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    That's all about setup and nothing else, maybe the toe angle or height of the front mech could do with looking at, changing parts isn't going to create a magical fix.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.