SRAM Cassette - Broken tooth

dmorton
dmorton Posts: 244
edited October 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I've some how managed to lose a tooth from the 11 tooth gear (smallest) on my rear cassette. Is it possible to buy replacement individual gears? Or do I need to replace the whole lot? I doubt I actually use that gear much...

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    What cassette number?

Does it now slip?

Might be more economical to buy a new one. But that depends on the grade and wear if the rest.
  • dmorton
    Bike manufacturer's website says SRAM PG-950 11-34, 9 speed so it's most probably that?

Is there an easy way to check?

£16 for a new one from CRC. It's not exactly worn out though, but it's not brand new either..
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    It's a tough one.

The smallest cog is the most likely to slip with mis-matched chain wear.

I'd say if it's currently not causing you any problems then just carry on.

If it is, then I'd buy a whole new cassette, perhaps if possible just add the new ring or change the whole lot. But your chain may not match the wear on the the new cassette as they tend to out live chains.
  • dmorton
    Ok I'll have a better look at it tonight as just spotted it last night, not checked for slippage yet. I suppose I could adjust the H stop on the derailleur so I can't change up to it.

You can get replacement cogs on eBay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-SunRace-11T-COG-Cassette-fits-Shimano-SRAM-and-SunRace-/140778473682?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item20c70d08d2. Doubt that's worth the money though.

Yeah there is also the new cassette not liking the old chain, suppose I could buy a cassette some time soon and see.... and in the meantime adjust the derailleur