Thefford Winter Series 2012/13

evo3ben
evo3ben Posts: 552
edited March 2013 in XC and Enduro
Only 6 weeks to go! This year has gone so fast!

So who is racing?

I will be doing the 2hr races. Not sure i can brave a 4hr solo yet lol.

Comments

• pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    Probably do the 4hr again, always a bit more chilled and less competition :wink:
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • Yep, im also looking forward to the winter series at thetford.
  • C0LL0
    C0LL0 Posts: 271
    most defiantly, only hours till the entries open,
  • stylish
    stylish Posts: 168
    After 10 months of no races i cant wait, my return to competition @ d2d was just the start, and i loved every minute of it, just need to decide if im doing 2 or 4 hour now..............
  • C0LL0
    Four hours been entered for the whole series. even started training which is
    quite unusual
  • DannyUK
    DannyUK Posts: 106
    Would anyone mind giving me a brief run down on how mountain bike racing works? Times? Winning places?

New to this, come from marathon running.. :oops:
    All the gear, loads of fear...
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Gutted that I'll have to miss the first race of the series... I'll be in Thetford, but on hols with my little boy (center Parcs), so no racing. :cry:
    Will pop down to hurl abu... I mean offer words of encouragement.
    Working for second one, so it'll be January before I can race...
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • C0LL0
    DannyUK wrote:
    Would anyone mind giving me a brief run down on how mountain bike racing works? Times? Winning places?

New to this, come from marathon running.. :oops:

Hi Danny

There are all sorts of races to enter, from 1 hour sprint/blast races to 12/24 hour endurance races, being a marathon runner I assume you'll be looking more at the longer races. Thetford is an ideal starting place for a race fairly flat, not too technical, extremely well organised.

4 hour race works like this, everyone starts at 10 o'clock, at 2 o'clock the race finishes (chequred flag comes out) next time you cross the line your race is finished. who ever has done most laps in quickest time is the winner.
  • DannyUK
    DannyUK Posts: 106
    Thanks for your reply and info.. I think the 4 hour sounds great..

Might have to book myself in!
    All the gear, loads of fear...
  • evo3ben
    Signed up for complete series (2hr). First round is filling up quickly so if you havent signed up yet best do so asap so as not to miss out :wink:
  • C0LL0
    Good result last week Ben, Jim posted me, well done, see you at Thetford :-)
  • evo3ben
    Nice one, cheers Paul :wink: Flipping hard though lol. Great course at Ashton Court and a few mega hills just to zap that energy lap by lap. Was a top weekend even though a little wet and muddy.
    Looking forward to catching up at Thetford :D
  • C0LL0
    I looked at the entry list yesterday, it's going to be a sell out again before the day, nice to see lots of familar names, including new ones from the Hadleigh MTB Club, under the velo virtuso team name. So who's going to start the tyre choice discussion ??
  • stylish
    No dont mention Tyres! people will start to worry about them........

Cant wait now, lets hope for some nice clear frosty mornings and pleanty of winter sun...
  • I have signed up for the whole series 2hr again, hope I get to do more than one race this year!

Well I will start on the tyre choice (evo3ben will love this!) I going to stick to my racing Ralph's and take some X-King continental's in case of mud!

Also hope I do better that 142nd out of 144 this year!!!
  • C0LL0
    You'll be flying Jim, don't worry, as for the tyres, thetford does drain well and looking at along range forecast, not to much wet weather on it's was, so I'll be on the 26" full suspension with WTB prowler xc tyres, grip on most things except really slimy surface mud, which thetford doesn't have.
  • stylish
    Collo, ride the 29er, it will be better on that side of the forest, much smoother and flowing.
  • C0LL0
    not sure my back will stand 4 hours of thetford bumps on the hardtail, I'm looking for a little more comfort
  • evo3ben
    Jimboliana wrote:
    Well I will start on the tyre choice (evo3ben will love this!) I going to stick to my racing Ralph's and take some X-King continental's in case of mud!!!!

Nooooo! what am i to do!! and now you have thrown some x-kings into the mix lol. Actually, i am all sorted thank you very much :D Racing Ralph 2.1 front and rear for complete series 8) but if it really dries out maybe a renegade on rear but if it gets really muddy then nobby nics front and rear and a little muddy nobby nic front and racing ralph rear :roll: :lol::lol:
  • stylish
    Collo, after 4 hours at Thetford your back would ache if you were sat in a chair!......

X Kings all year round for me, just alter the pressures!
  • evo3ben
    I did try the X-Kings and must admit i did like them but the problem i had was setting them up tubeless. I had the RS (Race Sport) tyres front and back but could not seal them for love nor money. Sold them in the end and now use mostly Schwalbe tyres as they seal really well.
  • stylish
    Conti"s are a bugger to seal, the best trick i found was to brush sealant around the bead of the tyre, just to help it slide onto the bead, then pump like a mad thing on the track pump!

Once they are up, they are fine, just dont be tempted to remove them the night before a race............i did and it kept going down..
  • Can't believe there is now 200 in our category male solo 2hr 18-39 and with the temp dropping it's gonna be cold at the start line! Wonder how they will stop any bottle necking or is it inevitable?
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Looking at the temperatures forecast, I'm kinda glad I'll be on hols with the wee fella, so just spectating.
    Well wrapped up :lol:
    Maybe hang around the bomb holes and get some photo's...
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • C0LL0
    the bottle neck into the single track is inevitable, as will the cheating f~~ckers who'll start at the back and then just push past or ride the wrong side of the tapes so as not to sit and queue,,, ggggggg rrrrrrrrrrr don't start me off.......
  • Go on C0LL0 let off a bit of steam!!!
  • stylish
    Dont start him off he will still be ranting next June!

200 is a good number, similar numbers in the vets were i shall grunt,wheeze, mumble and huff.......

cant wiat now, better clean my bike after last sunday i suppose......
  • evo3ben
    Now at 232 for 18-39 cat :shock: that is huge! not to mention the 218 odd for the vets! is this maybe too much? hopefully will get into the top 100 lol
    Bottle neck, i expect nothing different from last year and will patiently que while idiots shoot down the outside :evil: maybe they will have extra marshalls to stop it this year but doubt it.
  • So at the start line at 10:40 we have just shy of 500 people starting the 2hr race, I remember there were alot last year but was it that many?

Bottle neck, it may take 10mins to get through! then get held up on the singletrack.......
  • stylish
    Its going to be carnage if they start the senior and vets races together with that many riders, i wouldnt be surprised to see a split in the 2 start times due to the huge entry.

The good thing with the location is there is the option to have a start loop to get the field rolling.