Avid Brake Howling - name that tune!

2»

Comments

• bonezy
    bonezy Posts: 129
    If they're clean sweep rotors, they are renowned for being noisy. If you've tried everything else, try changing the rotors.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    62316402_640.jpg
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    cyd190468 wrote:
    A ruler over the edge of a table doesn't resonate
    Oh yes it does....and a tuning fork is held at one end so i guess that's not resonating either?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    cyd190468 wrote:
    A ruler over the edge of a table doesn't resonate

yes it does
    cyd190468 wrote:
    it oscillates as the motion doesn't involve constructive interference.

what does constructive interference have to do with the motion?
    cyd190468 wrote:
    Where you clamp it, it produces a null

please explain "a null" in this context
    cyd190468 wrote:
    as you have clamped it to a very large heavy object. If it was free standing it couldn't oscillate around that point.

no, but it would oscillate in a different way, clamping simply changes the nature of the whole system.
    cyd190468 wrote:
    And yes the solder acting as a damper was exactly what my original post said. My original post concerned advice given based on my experience of a similar problem, and in my experience would have solved his problem quickly and free of cost

this, I agree with

but, genuinely, adjusting the caliper properly so as to not have one pad dragging, is the real solution.
  • The Rookie
    I disagree with the last part, if you have an input to an object at it's resonant frequancy then it will resonate, if it's in the audible frequancy range you'll hear it.

I once worked on a car that had a major issue (pre production) and you could creep the car in D and have the brakes howling like banshees (much louder than any old MTB system!)

My rear disc used to do it, Avid J5, Carrera frame, Allipgator disc, sintered pads, it would howl as soon as the brakes got at all warm, cold it didn't.

Organic pads (having more give) made it better (much better), but the only solution I could find was a different (much stiffer) disc (hayes) which fixed it.

I think Avid with the tri-align system are more prone as it reduces the stiffness of the caliper mounting, also the carrera frame may not have been the stiffest in that area anyway.

I now have a stiffer mounted XTR caliper on the back and will be trying the alligator disc again.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    It would raise the standards of the physics part of this debate if the main protagonists would let us know the details of their qualifications, relevant experience (forums don't count) and published papers. Followed by another explanation of their point of view
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • mrmonkfinger
    I disagree with the last part, if you have an input to an object at it's resonant frequancy then it will resonate, if it's in the audible frequancy range you'll hear it.

last bit of which post?
  • The Rookie
    but, genuinely, adjusting the caliper properly so as to not have one pad dragging, is the real solution.
  • The Rookie
    Giraffoto wrote:
    if the main protagonists would let us know the details of their qualifications, relevant experience
    B.Sc in Engineering (mechanical) and 23 years working in the automotive field in powertrain development including Fuel system/exhaust/cooling, calibration (mapping EMS), Diesel Common rail fuel systems and clutches, plus some other stuff along the way, all while working at/for OEM's direct or through their Tier 1 suppliers (Rover, VW, Ford, Jag-land Rover, Ricardo, Cosworth)
  • mrmonkfinger

Oh right.

From what I understood, the op had a dragging caliper, so noise while NOT braking. Fix the dragging (ie sort the caliper) = remove the stimulus = get no noise. The disc would still be prone to resonance, but if no stimulus, that doesn't matter, no?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Giraffoto wrote:
    It would raise the standards of the physics part of this debate if the main protagonists would let us know the details of their qualifications, relevant experience (forums don't count) and published papers. Followed by another explanation of their point of view
    In order. Absolutely none, have fiddled with bikes in the past, absolutely none.
    Which makes me eminently suitable as a forum genius, and don't you forget it.
    My point of view - cydrandomnumber is funny, in a sad way.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mrmonkfinger
    Giraffoto wrote:
    main protagonists

what counts as a main protagonist?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Giraffoto wrote:
    main protagonists

You can be one if you want.
    On the internet you can be an 18 yr old sex goddess, if you want.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Giraffoto

Oh right.

From what I understood, the op had a dragging caliper, so noise while NOT braking. Fix the dragging (ie sort the caliper) = remove the stimulus = get no noise. The disc would still be prone to resonance, but if no stimulus, that doesn't matter, no?

We've gone far beyond the OP and his problem - let's face it, he probably got it completely fixed two and a half months ago, when either he or some other party sorted out that dragging caliper.

giraffoto wrote:
    main protagonists

Anyone who's not talking about a dragging caliper, and isn't obviously taking the p!$$
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Giraffoto
    cooldad wrote:
    Giraffoto wrote:
    main protagonists

You can be one if you want.
    On the internet you can be an 18 yr old sex goddess, if you want.

lolita_3001414, is that you?
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • The Rookie
    cooldad wrote:
    On the internet you can be with an 18 yr old sex goddess, if you want.
    Fixed......
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Locked.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
This discussion has been closed.