Hit a car! Was I in the wrong?

craker
craker Posts: 1,739
edited October 2012 in Commuting general
Just suffering a bit of post trauma adrenaline. In half an hour I'll probably just have forgotten all about it...

There are two lanes of slow moving traffic on the A road approaching the M5 junction at Almondsbury. I'm filtering in between the two lanes, lets say I was doing 12mph. On my right is a stationary lorry and there is a space in front of it. As I passed the cab of the lorry, the bumper of a car appeared that was joining the A road from the right and wanting to go straight into the left lane. I collided with the bumper of the car. (my ankle hit the nearside corner of his bumper as I did an emergency stop). I've got a cut on my ankle to show for it.

He asked if I was alright and we both proceeded on our way. I'm not sure he was in the wrong but probably more so than me (for crossing a lane of traffic without making sure it was safe to do so). I'm sure I ought to consult the highway code before making statements like this!

Lessons learnt? Dunno.

Edit:
A quick google suggests that I'm probably more to blame than the car driver in that I was aware of a gap in front of the lorry that could be used by a car emerging from a junction I know is there...
http://www.access-legal.co.uk/legal-news/accidents-involving-filtering-what-the-law-says-lu-2811.htm

Comments

• Coming from a motorbiking background I would say that while you weren't actually at fault as such you shouldn't have done what you did. ALWAYS expect a car drive to make the worst possible decision, when going around a big vehicle, or any vehicle that you can't see past ALWAYS expect a pedestrian with a buggy to walk out or a car to fill the gap. Filtering is great but the simple fact is car drivers never check their mirrors when in slow moving or stationary traffic, much less do they take it easy and nudge their way out!

Glad to hear you are mostly OK though, don't beat yourself up over it but definitely don't make the same mistake twice :)
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    Last night I was overtaking a line of stationary traffic, I was overtaking on the outside like a good boy. Had my lights on too. Saw a oncoming car positioning to turn right in front of me, not indicating though. I assumed it was turning right and was going to ignore me (even though me front light must've been flashing in the drivers face), so I slowed down. Of course it turned right with no indicating I muttered "git" and carried on safe and sound.

Basically this is the same scenario as you described, but you were filtering, so couldn't see what was about to happen AND the car couldn't see you. But on top of this you didn't slow down sufficiently. So, I guess you were asking for it!

Filtering on the inside of a lorry is a pretty bad idea too, especially if the road in front of it is clear. It could pull away at any moment and turn in on you, resulting in you going underneath it before you realise what is going on.

Legally you're probably not at fault, but thats no good to you if you end up in a fridge.

I suggest you check out this guys videos:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/sillycyclists
    At first he may seem a bit too overcautious to you, but if you watch these you'll probably find you ride a bit safer.

Calm down and ride safer! :-)
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    As a biker I know that filtering when near a junction is a big risk and best avoided.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.