Commuting By Tandem

ToeKnee
ToeKnee Posts: 376
edited October 2012 in Commuting chat
Tonight I had the pleasure of bumping into a couple commuting on their tandem. Not sure if they'll be on here but if they are, 'Hello'. We had a short chat but not easy in London traffic. They had only picked it up yesterday and hope to commute regularly from Watford into London (19 miles each way). Good luck to them. I wonder what their FCN would be ...
Seneca wrote:
It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.
Specialized TriCross Sport+Ultegra+Rack&Bag+Guards+Exposure Lights - FCN 7
Track:Condor 653, MTB:GT Zaskar, Road & TT:Condors.

Comments

• getprg
    getprg Posts: 245
    Whatever it is I guess you x it by 2
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Does a tandem solve the N+1 equation?
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    redvee wrote:
    Does a tandem solve the N+1 equation?

Yes. If made form carbon.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    fair play to them, I commute Watford to central London, but take the train for the Watford junction to Euston leg! but then a Brompton is easier to get on a train than a tandem.

I wonder if they could get 2 £1000 vouchers under C2W?
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Irvinet
    Irvinet Posts: 117
    ToeKnee wrote:
    Good luck to them. I wonder what their FCN would be ...

Tandems come in all shapes from bouncy mountain bike to full carbon racer... so I think you have to apply a variable modifier to the base type.

On the flat: -2
    Up hill: +5
    Down hill: -10 :D
    Roberts Audax - Raleigh Fixie - Thorn Tandem
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    I used to see a bloke on a tandem commuting through Reading, presumably he'd dropped off his other half somewhere en route. That or he only had the one bike...
    Misguided Idealist
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    I've seen tandems & triplets before during rush hour. Only one person on them though.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • ToeKnee
    ToeKnee Posts: 376
    Irvinet wrote:
    ToeKnee wrote:
    Good luck to them. I wonder what their FCN would be ...
    Tandems come in all shapes from bouncy mountain bike to full carbon racer... so I think you have to apply a variable modifier to the base type.

On the flat: -2
    Up hill: +5
    Down hill: -10 :D
    I'll get the make/model next time I see them but it wasn't a bouncy mtb version.

Regarding the FCN: Yes, I think their journey in will be quicker than the out. :wink:
    t4tomo wrote:
    fair play to them, I commute Watford to central London, but take the train for the Watford junction to Euston leg! but then a Brompton is easier to get on a train than a tandem.
    Have you tried the full journey? It's not that bad. When I started, many years ago, I rode in from Hemel and got the train home.
    Seneca wrote:
    It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.
    Specialized TriCross Sport+Ultegra+Rack&Bag+Guards+Exposure Lights - FCN 7
    Track:Condor 653, MTB:GT Zaskar, Road & TT:Condors.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    No I haven't - don't really fancy it on the Brompton (although I guess it would be fine) and until recently I haven't had anywhere to safely leave the Bianchi, but the new office has underground parking cctv and showers with fluffy white towels, so its not beyond the realms of possibility now. Although riding the Bianchi in would mean a post 7pm depart from Euston due to bike restrictions.

I nearly got off the train at Harrow one evening when it was going at the pace of a snail, but was a tad indecisive and the doors shut on me. I should have got off and eventually abandoned it at Bushey and road home.

What route did you do, presumably not the hard shoulder of the M1?
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    could you wheelie a tandem?

edit...found it

wheelie

dear father christmas, i would like a tandem

thats awesome

yours,

Mudcow007
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Someone I work with told me she lives near me and wants to start riding in next spring.
    I said if I've been silly and bought a tandem by then I'll pick her up.

I saw a Cinelli Laser tandem in a bike shop in Berlin once, I wonder if I could fit racks and mudguards to one...
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    I saw one a while ago on Embankment, 2 up. Trying to get the pass in was very hard. Avoid them if you can ;)
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.