Hammerschmidt

ratherbeintobago
ratherbeintobago Posts: 636
edited October 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Have SRAM updated the Hammerschmidt since launch in (IIRC) 2008?

Andy

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    dont believe so.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • No - that's what I thought. Pity; it was an idea that sounded good (especially given the amount of chainsuck I get) but seems to have needed more development.
  • ploppy
    ploppy Posts: 173
    i was looking at getting one of these but am a bit worried of the facing procedure, anybody know of a decent place in essex that would be able to carry out the facing procedure. I really wish to pay out for the tools to do it myself.
    go flat out or fall out!
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    No - that's what I thought. Pity; it was an idea that sounded good (especially given the amount of chainsuck I get) but seems to have needed more development.
    Whilst there's a good chance it would eliminate chainsuck due to you running a new chain and chainring, it is quite possibly the most ludicrously expensive "cure" for it.
    You're much better off just finding out what's causing it, and fixing it.
  • You're much better off just finding out what's causing it, and fixing it.

Open to suggestions on that one. Vile riding conditions I can do little about; chain and rings not excessively worn, nor brand new (which I gather is also a cause).

Considering giving 2x9 a go as theoretically less front shifting would mean less opportunity for chainsuck, but equally some people say running a double at the front leads to more front shifting.
    it is quite possibly the most ludicrously expensive "cure" for it.

Maybe, but a lighter, less draggy, more trail orientated v2 epicyclic front would maybe have been the end of front mechs. Don't have much trouble with shifting at the back; also not sure XX1 makes any sense from a weight distribution POV.

Andy
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Whoa there! Hammerschmidt was never lighter!

Also, what you're experiencing is not chainsuck.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Hammerschmidt - lighter? The full combo weighs 1.54Kg
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I didn't actually say a Hammerschmidt was lighter. However, with development there's no reason to believe a trail orientated v2 wouldn't have been lighter.

As I understand it, chainsuck can occur when in one ring, or occurs when you shift. I get the second kind (chain jammed up between the rings & the chainstay).

Andy
  • nicklouse
    ploppy wrote:
    i was looking at getting one of these but am a bit worried of the facing procedure, anybody know of a decent place in essex that would be able to carry out the facing procedure. I really wish to pay out for the tools to do it myself.
    you will need to ask about as not many places will have the required cutting tool. but it is also not always required.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • The Rookie
    Chainsuck can occur when the chain and ring are worn, even on a single ring.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    Hammerschmidt - lighter? The full combo weighs 1.54Kg
    again it depends to what you compare it to.

compared with like for like at launch it was about the same.

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12729237
  • The Rookie
    Indeed Nick, but about the same is not lighter....

On my bike (yeah I'm budget conscious) I run 22/36 double (steel rings and Truvativ bolts off a powerspline chainset) on Deore HT2 cranks and BB with a Deore mech, old style X7 shifter and cheap cables, total weight for comparison is 1,243g. For referance that whole lost cost me less than £35 (pre-loved).
  • Chainsuck can occur when the chain and ring are worn, even on a single ring.

Yes, again I don't dispute that, but the problem I get is when shifting.

Andy
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sounds like setup problems, not chainsuck.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Sounds like setup problems, not chainsuck.

No, definitely chainsuck

Andy
  • cooldad
    I fail to see the connection.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    I fail to see the connection.

Between?
  • cooldad
    Your problem and your solution.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Your problem and your solution.

So, you're saying that chainsuck doesn't occur on shifting front rings? :roll:
  • cooldad
    Millions of people shift gears every day without chainsuck and /or a Hammerschmidt.
    But it's one way I guess.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Millions of people shift gears every day without chainsuck and /or a Hammerschmidt.

Thank you so much for taking the time to give me that useful input.
  • cooldad
    My pleasure. Take good care of it.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    cooldad wrote:

Thank you so much for taking the time to give me that useful input.
    He does actually make a very valid point.
  • The Rookie
    As it's a rarity it's worth repeating, Cooldad makes a very valid point, millions of shifts are made every year without chainsuck, suggesting somewhat that if you have chainsuck on shifting it's not exactly unfixable and for a lot less money than adding an extra 300g plus to your bike at significant expence.
  • cooldad
    You don't have a valid point in you.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools