Does this change anything for you?

greasedscotsman
greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
edited October 2012 in Pro race
With all the various shenanigans going on over the last few months, is this going to have any effect on you watching pro cycling at all? Is anyone now lost to the sport?

Comments

• slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    Nope, I believe the sport is a lot better than it was and will get better still in the future. And at the end of the day it's still cool as f*ck!
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Not at all. Will still watch every race possible, read every magazine and article I can get my hands on, and discuss it as much as possible.

I don't know what it would take to lose me to the sport.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,965
    No - it's not like we didn't really know already.
    It's still incredible what the pros can do, especially in the Grand Tours.
  • no - still love the sport
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,399
    edited October 2012
    I'm more interested in how the UCI deal with this (if at all). Armstrong is a case of righting a past wrong, I ve said from day 1 that just the removal of the victories is enough for me (although the other stuff is a pleasant bonus). If however in 1 or 2 years it appears that we re actually in the same position and another Contador gets popped (or quite possibly, even likely, Contador again) then I'd probably be lost. If the UCI truly do no more from here I'm 100% certain we will be back here again in 5 or 6 years with Verbruggen Mk 3 saying that it wasnt his fault and he had no idea

that said, i'd probably watch a few Tour stages because I like France and a few of the classics, but I would nt bother with much else.

I'd be sad to go but frankly there are better things for me to watch (XC, DH, CX for a few!). I'd still ride my bikes mind!

(wonder what dennis will respond to this?!?!?)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • greentea
    greentea Posts: 180
    I've just spent three fekin grand on cycling kit and a subscription to Sky Sports, what do you think? :roll:
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    edited October 2012
    ddraver wrote:
    (wonder what dennis will respond to this?!?!?)

Oh no, I forgot about him! :D
  • greentea wrote:
    I've just spent three fekin grand on cycling kit and a subscription to Sky Sports, what do you think? :roll:

What do either of those have to do with watching pro cycling?
  • TommyB61
    TommyB61 Posts: 103
    Not at all..I still love the sport. I would like Santa to bring cycling a new UCI president, though.
  • As I get older I find I watch less and get more excited about mine and my friends riding.

This year I watched all the classics, the giro and the tour but I don't obsess about them, devour every article, buy the magazines etc.

I've devoted much more mental energy to my hill climb season
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Not at all. Still love cycling and still intend to ride my bikes.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    With all the various shenanigans going on over the last few months, is this going to have any effect on you watching pro cycling at all? Is anyone now lost to the sport?

No. I am 100% completely head over heels in love with Pro Cycling and this changes nothing for me. I'm really looking forward to next Season :mrgreen:
  • TMR
    What do either of those have to do with watching pro cycling?

I think he's trying to illustrate how much he's bought into the sport.
  • What do either of those have to do with watching pro cycling?

I think he's trying to illustrate how much he's bought into the sport.

Yeah, I did figure that out. :D
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    There's a sort of morbid fascination in reading the full details of the scandal but, if anything, seeing apparently unrepentant doping offenders win the Vuelta and the men's Olympic road race was more depressing.
  • Just booked holiday for next year in July in Annecy, so no :D:D:D:D:D
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    No, I'll still watch most of the season because I love cycling. I have never been a real pro-cycling obsessive in the sense that I don't pay that much attention to the politics and the structure of it. So although I'm obviously aware of what is going on, my love is for watching the riders and the races and that won't change.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,471
    As mentioned above it's not been as damaging for me personally as valverdes performance in the vuelta. Dint think I've had less interest in a grand tour since i started watching.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,344
    Armstrong hasn't changed anything, but how the UCI move from here, with the Ferarri investigation still to come could well do.

I'll admit I'm borderline about it, right now it wouldn't take much for me to kick it into touch, again. And like a couple of posters above, I cant really stomach seeing Contador and Valverde gurning happily...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Drumlin
    Drumlin Posts: 120
    It means that Greg Lemond is restored as the USA's only Tour winner
    Would welcome company for Sat rides west/south of Edinburgh, up to 3 hrs, 16mph ish. Please PM me if interested/able to help.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Drumlin wrote:

Not only that, he's the only American to have ever worn the yellow spandex t-shirt
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    edited October 2012
    I agree with people saying Vino and Contadork have unfortunately crapped over one of the GTs and the Olympics this year, but those two twerps aside, there's been some great stuff this season.
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    Will be happiest when the Livestrong servers get switched off because of lack of funds.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,399
    Fair points made above, the Vuelta did way more to put me off watching cycling this year, lucky it was so late in the season!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • iainf72 wrote:
    Drumlin wrote:

Not only that, he's the only American to have ever worn the yellow spandex t-shirt

Blimey! :shock:
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    I just wonder what the end game is. Cheating is part of the human condition so I can't see how things will change when the fastest rider is the winner. Cheating has happened since the Greek Olympics so people aren't going to change.
    I think this war on cycling/ doping came about after the deaths from EPO in the 1990s. Cycling is far from being the worst sport for doping, just the most publicised. I'm sure football, rugby, athletics, horse racing, golf and I did hear about cheating in this years Scrabble world championships (which I posted on here)
    viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12872381

Someone said the dope testers are 7 years behind the doper's technology so it's an open door for cheaters.

Must admit I have no idea what the hell's going to happen now. Who knows? :?

By the way, if anyone wants to see clean cycling (hopefully??- maybe a few asthma steroids in use) then go and marshal at your local Club TT. If purity is your thing then maybe it can be found there.

Jerry
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • TMR
    Yeah, I did figure that out. :D

Sorry, my sarcasm detector is on the blink ;)
  • It won't make the slightest difference to me. I watch all types of bike race because I love cycling and I like to watch various stories that unfold during a race and how tactics are played out. The overall GC winner is fairly important but not the whole story of a race by any means, there is a lot more going on.