Silly Cyclists Video - how NOT to commute.

passout
passout Posts: 4,425
edited October 2012 in Commuting general
I stumbled across this, I guess some of you have seen it but it does make 'good' viewing. Pretty shocking footage I thought & arguably it's all about risk rather than skilll. I would guess the average life expectancy of these muppets is pretty low!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5gavYqo ... re=related
'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    And we wonder why cyclists get a bad name.....that's not the worst I've seen from Brunelle but comes close, trouble is the loathsome creature is encouraging them by filming it.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • passout
    And we wonder why cyclists get a bad name.....that's not the worst I've seen from Brunelle but comes close, trouble is the loathsome creature is encouraging them by filming it.

I agree. I couldn't believe that they were criticizing drivers for 'not knowing what they were doing' when the cyclists behaviour was near impossible to predict and virtually suicidal at times.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    "The most skilled urban cyclists in the world"..............

That's like claiming that your average trev in his Saxo at Sainsbury's is more skilled than Sebastian Loeb.

What utter detritus .
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I'd say Danny Macaskill was more of a "skilled urban cyclist"...
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Peat wrote:

That's like claiming that your average trev in his Saxo at Sainsbury's is more skilled than Sebastian Loeb.

What utter detritus .
    you may hate them, but that doesn't stop them being very skilled cyclists.
  • geebus
    geebus Posts: 50
    Indeed.

Reality is that lots of sports are dangerous.
    Of course the danger issue here is that involves unwilling 'innocents' - even, say, on a rally stage I don't feel too bad about people being injured when they've placed themselves somewhere they are probably expecting 1t+ of metal to crash.

This is certainly a hell of a lot more interesting to watch than the Olympics, say, for me.

And, if you dig really deep, you'll no doubt find various ways to show that the Olympics etc did actually put other sections of the populace at greater risk.
  • passout
    Peat wrote:

What utter detritus .

I disagree on this point. I could do most of that if I really wanted and I consider myself a distinctly average (keen) cyclist, albeit with a MTB background. I genuinely think its more about risk tasking than skill, although obviously a certain amount of skill & experience would be needed for this I guess. Now you look at pro cyclists (in any discipline) and their skill levels are off the charts!