A quick thank you!

MJF01
MJF01 Posts: 9
edited October 2012 in Commuting chat
Hello

I'm a relative newcomer to cycle commuting, travelling 10 miles each way from Hampton to Putney.

This morning I suffered a flat in Richmond Park. Whilst changing my tube, it was great to receive so many offers of help from passing cyclists. At least 10 people out of the 50 or so that passed me checked to see if I needed anything.That's not a bad return for London! ;)

Particular thanks to roadie Chris who kindly offered his pump when I realised mine wasn't fit for purpose. In fact, he pumped the thing up for me. Top man!

Anyway Cyclists of London - you made my day.

Thanks
Martin

p.s. can anyone recommend a decent pump?

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Lezyne pressure drive, it's got a hose so you don't snap the valve off too!

Good to see some cameraderie! (sp?)
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    For tiny packability for emergencies I'd suggest a Leyzene CO2 micro pump, for normal home duties you can't beat a track pump - Joe Blow or Specialized are both excellent.

.....Oh, and welcome!
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    MJF01 wrote:
    Hello

Particular thanks to roadie Chris who kindly offered his pump when I realised mine wasn't fit for purpose. In fact, he pumped the thing up for me. Top man!

I bet this was CJCP...
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,362
    MJF01 wrote:
    Hello

I bet this was CJCP...
    I thought that too. Hope DDD is reading this.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Veronese68 wrote:
    MJF01 wrote:
    Hello

I bet this was CJCP...
    I thought that too.

My first thoughts as well.

Takes me back a few years when he did the same for me.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Hope DDD is reading this.
    Pfft, you think this is proof of anything? Its all just anecdotal...

;)
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    MJF01 wrote:

Topeak Road Morph - hose like the Lezyne but won't unscrew your valve when you undo it :roll: :wink: . Also operates like a track pump and has a pressure gauge.

Best bet is to go on Wiggle and read the reviews though. I hate the Lezyne so I'm biased.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    MJF01 wrote:

Topeak Road Morph - hose like the Lezyne but won't unscrew your valve when you undo it :roll: :wink: . Also operates like a track pump and has a pressure gauge.

Best bet is to go on Wiggle and read the reviews though. I hate the Lezyne so I'm biased.

I've got both of those and a CO2 pump.

I find the Road Morph too big and the Lezyne does indeed unscrew the valves when you take it off. I only carry it so as not to tempt fate and because it looks pretty.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Asprilla wrote:
    I've got both of those and a CO2 pump.

I find the Road Morph too big and the Lezyne does indeed unscrew the valves when you take it off. I only carry it so as not to tempt fate and because it looks pretty.

Yup - I have both and carry neither :wink: The Road Morph is at work - loads of people have borrowed it and love it.

The Lezyne is in the back of a cupboard somewhere after it:
    a. Unscrewed a valve several times after one repair
    b. The stupid hose fell out *somewhere* on the last 5 miles of my commute. I walked 10 miles (5 out 5 back) to find it.

I use a CO2 inflator (Guine Innov Nano) and have a stupid AirStik for dire, life-threatening emergencies (it's that bad - but very small) and for putting air in to find the hole.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Yep, that was me. :oops:

Hi Martin,

No problem. Good to hear so many people asked how you were getting on (by London standards, of course :) ).

Fwiw, I've got a Topeak something or other. Cost about £19. I upgraded from one that cost about £14 when I discovered last year that it didn't stand up to the rigours of a hissy fit I threw after getting a flat in a spot about 200 yards before you did.

Might see you again on that route.

Cheers, and welcome to the forum!
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    I carry the road morph with me and it's great, except for the time when it wasn't i.e. by the side of the road on a small country road. After 13months the internal seal or valve had disintegrated leaving me with a useless bit of plastic. Thankfully or so I thought, I carried a spare pump with me, although that too broke at the same spot, which meant I had a partially inflated rear tyre on the MTB. Was about to set off very carefully when a group of MTBs went past and one of the riders offered me a working pump.

Email to CRC and they replaced it under warranty, even though it was 1 month outside of it and the new one seems to be lasting.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    cjcp wrote:
    Yep, that was me. :oops:

Hi Martin,

Cheers, and welcome to the forum!

I blow my own trumpet a lot but you sir are a legend.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game