Good rides no more than three hours from North London

milfredo
milfredo Posts: 322
edited October 2012 in Routes
I'm planning a trip in a few weeks for a long weekend away and need a new destination. It needs to be no more than three hours away from North London and really good.

I've done Cwmcarn and Afan to death and also ridden a lot of Derbyshire so would like an alternative. Can anyone recommend somewhere good, Natural trails or trail centres welcome and we're fairly experienced riders.

Cheers,
Will

Comments

• welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    brechfa is only about 30 mins further than afan and some great riding :)
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Surrey Hills? A lot closer than 3 hours, and plenty of decent riding. Need someone who knows it though.
  • milfredo
    Love Surrey but looking for something a little more remote. Brechfa looks good!
  • welshkev
    milfredo wrote:
    Love Surrey but looking for something a little more remote. Brechfa looks good!

as long as you take provisions with you as there's no trail centre - there are soem porta loos though. the riding is great. there is a good bike friendly pub in the village though :D

and some of the trails start from different car parks about 2 miles apart - i didn't realise this and was completely lost :lol:
  • milfredo
    Is there a way to see the start of the trails?
  • welshkev
    milfredo wrote:

how do you mean? if you mean is it easy to see the starts and follow the trails? then yes they're just like every trail centre in that respect.

have a look here:

http://www.mbwales.com/en/content/cms/b ... echfa.aspx
  • welshkev
    ah, i've just seen this on mb wales:

"The Derwen Blue, Green and the Raven Black routes will close on the 1st September 2011 for approximately 15 weeks due to harvesting operations.
    The Gorlech Red will be open.
    We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause."

the gorlech is a good trail but i did it in less than 2 hours, so without the other trails being open in may not be worth the journey :?
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Shame, the other 3 are great fun!

Dalby?
  • milfredo
    But 15 weeks from the 1st September 2011 was a long time ago with it being October 2012 :)
  • milfredo
    welshkev wrote:
    milfredo wrote:

how do you mean? if you mean is it easy to see the starts and follow the trails? then yes they're just like every trail centre in that respect.

have a look here:

Just you said that they started at two different car parks and you got lost made me wonder why if the trails were eaisly marked. I'd prefere to do the red and black routes and hence would worry that I would only find the green.
  • welshkev
    milfredo wrote:
    welshkev wrote:
    milfredo wrote:

have a look here:

Just you said that they started at two different car parks and you got lost made me wonder why if the trails were eaisly marked. I'd prefere to do the red and black routes and hence would worry that I would only find the green.

ah sorry, i just meant that i was lost as in i couldn't find the start of the black..but the reason i couldn't was cos it was in a different car park...i didn't know that :lol: but once you were in the right place they're easy to find :lol:
  • milfredo
    Thanks for confirming :)