How to drain water from my front sus

sigorman85
sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
edited October 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi I have some rock shox recon silver tk140 2011 how or can I drain the muddy water out from them? I have a silver Allen bolt on the left underneath and on the right I have the rebound adjustment I don't really wanna start playing about with them till I get some info. I have been through some fairly deep cruddy water the last few weeks so they must have some crap in them,
When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The seals are great, there will be little, if any water in them.

To disassemble, download the service manual.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sigorman85 wrote:
    I have been through some fairly deep cruddy water the last few weeks so they must have some crap in them,
    why would they?

do they work?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • sigorman85
    sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
    Yeah there ok just thought going into a 2ft puddle would fill em up a bit. But if ya think there ok then that's good enough for me
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If water got it, then they needed new seals before you started the ride. As water is incompressable, if water got in you won't get full travel.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Unless you left it lying in a puddle for a while they should be fine.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    cooldad wrote:
    Unless you left it lying in a puddle for a while they should be fine.
    even then they will be fine.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    The RS might be, but some old Zooms? didn't cope very well with trying to do a jesus over a small river.
    I found out a few things:
    Even speed will not make you zoom over the surface if the ice is thin.
    Being submerged in freezing water is really funny, especially for the spectators.
    Riding whilst slowly turning into an ice cube is only funny for the spectators.
    Water gets into places you didn't even know existed.
    I am an idiot.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    cooldad wrote:
    I am an idiot.
    The rest was news......

Zoom/Suntour/RST seals are more like 'vague weather guards'!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad wrote:
    I am an idiot.
    The rest was news......
    Fair enough
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools