help! 19" frame for 5"6 girl...?

lmcycler
lmcycler Posts: 6
edited October 2012 in Road beginners
Am going to see a second hand roadbike over the weekend which is a CB 2012 model, and the current owner says the frame is 19" and would probably fit me, but I wanted to ask on here - I did google frame size guides and it says roughly 50-53" for around my height. Does anyone know if a 19" would be too large for me? (I'm guessing the 19" is referring to a different part of the frame..?) I don't want to waste the person's time, so if its completely the wrong size then I'd rather know now, but can't seem to find an answer!

Any help appreciated
Cheers x

Comments

• oh dear....I think I mean 50-53 cm... - well that makes a bit more sense now.
  • Height isn't the best indication; the important things to get right are the seat tube in relation to your leg length and the top tube in relation to your torso. In practice this means that you will often end up choosing out of several viable sizes the one that gives the most suitable top tube length. And it varies unfortunately; different geometry, for example.

Sorry to be so unhelpful! The best suggestion I can give you is to use your inside leg measurement to give you an idea, but there are proper system that use your inseam length; though you need the bike for that.
  • Well I am a 5'6" man and I ended up with a 52cm bike which is right on the edge but completely comfortable. I think a 50cm would have been fine really. 19" is 48cm which would be at the lower end of your size range from everything I was told.
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    Check wether its a 19 " frame or 19 " from BB to top tube as some frames have a sloping top tube and some measure the real measurement rather than where the seat tube would meet the top tube if it was level.
    If in doubt try before you buy.
    FCN 3/5/9
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    The key measurement is the horizontal toptube length, which for your height would probably be in the region of 51-53cm. There are so many ways to measure frames using seattube sizes that is has almost become an irrelevant dimension, particularly as you can adjust the saddle up an down to the right height. If you are going to look at the bike, try and take a more experienced cycling friend with you to help, particularly one to advise on sizing / fit.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..