Keeping face warm in the cold

rumbataz
rumbataz Posts: 796
edited October 2012 in Road beginners
I have a vented cycle helmet and often ride early in the morning. As the weather turns colder my ears are hurting with the cold! What's the best item of clothing to wear under a helmet to keep face and ears warm?

Comments

• solsurf
    solsurf Posts: 489
    I have tried the gore windblocker stuff, its great to start off but I find it too hot and stuffy. I would recommend a thin merino wool beanie or buff, very versatile.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I've got an Assos robocap, covers the ears completely but makes you look like an idiot (which I don't care about)

72465-2.jpg
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Cap. Every cyclist should have at least one; if nothing else to cater for all seasons!

Buffs aren't terrible but they aren't good either; they aren't as good as anything that they can be made to passably imitate and they stretch. I have a few; had them for years.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    A decent skull cap, such as the Assos stinger. One size and there's extra material at the bottom for folding up and completely covering the ears, you can get it good price at various sales.
  • Haven't been out in any really cold weather on the bike yet, but when I was running, I used to stuff a bit of cotton wool into my ears.

Although it didn't stop the external bits of the ears getting cold, this was never as bad as the terrible earache I used to get from the cold air penetrating right inside and trying to freeze my eardrum. The cotton wool fixed that completely.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • A buff to stop a draft from going down your neck and for covering your mouth and nose if it's really cold plus a peaked woollen 'Belgian' cap which has ear cover or one of the above skull caps. I prefer the Belgian style cap myself as you get added visor protection from the low winter sun.
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    I use an altura skull cap and a buff
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    just have a buff covering neck mouth and ears or MTFU
  • hipshot
    hipshot Posts: 371
    drlodge wrote:
    I've got an Assos robocap, covers the ears completely but makes you look like an idiot (which I don't care about)

72465-2.jpg

Aaargh My Eyes!
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    What's a buff?
  • samsbike
    samsbike Posts: 942
    I use a buff for the lower half of my face and just a polycester cap that fits under my helmet.
  • lotus49
    Thanks for the link but the pictures of numerous slightly wrinkly rectangles weren't quite as informative as one might hope.

Would I be right in thinking that a buff is a stretchy tube that can be left hanging round your neck or pulled up over your head like an ill-fitting balaclava? I've never seen one of these things in the flesh. I rather suspect that the hardmen of Yorkshire (of whom I am not yet one BTW) would frown upon such a thing but I shall worry about whether I care if it gets properly cold.

PS I've just noticed that you are from Yorkshire as well. Do people wear these where you're from?
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    lotus49 wrote:
    Would I be right in thinking that a buff is a stretchy tube that can be left hanging round your neck or pulled up over your head like an ill-fitting balaclava? I've never seen one of these things in the flesh. I rather suspect that the hardmen of Yorkshire (of whom I am not yet one BTW) would frown upon such a thing but I shall worry about whether I care if it gets properly cold.
    That's pretty much exactly what they are, yes. I tend to use mine to cover everything from neck to eye level on particularly cold days, works quite nicely and they're pretty cheap too. You can probably stretch it up into a sort of balaclava shape to cover your head if you want but my head never feels cold enough to bother.
  • A stretchy tube, yes. An overpriced stretchy tube to be more precise. I quite like them and they were a godsend when I had long hair, but they aren't really all they're cracked up to be, and most of mine had stretched within a short time of ownership. I actually tried using some of the ones I have to cover my face and I found it more annoying than the wind chill. The wicking on them is non-existent so all you get is sloppy chops. About as valuable as wearing a cotton t-shirt.

But a cap is not only better but part of being a cyclist. They have around for decades, and there is much tradition in the designs and livery of them. By wearing one you are part of the cycling fraternity. :)
  • lotus49
    Caps are indeed fully in accordance with The Rules but the OP was looking to keep his ears warm. Does keeping your head warm stop your face and ears getting too cold? It may well do, since I know that wearing warm leggings under my trousers when I'm hill walking in the winter keeps all of me much warmer, not just my legs.

I haven't got myself a proper cycling cap but I shall add it to my Christmas list.
  • You can get a cap with earflaps. My favourite company is Walz, and they make such a thing. We're doing a group buy over on the commuting forum...

But in accordance with my post above, I can't really suggest a means of keeping your face warm as the most popular method in my experience left me considerably worse off! Buff do make a merino version but frankly it had better be good for the comical price!
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    FFS Hinault wouldnt have worn a buff.

Bunch of pansies.
  • farrina
    farrina Posts: 360
    lotus49 wrote:
    I rather suspect that the hardmen of Yorkshire (of whom I am not yet one BTW) would frown upon such a thing but I shall worry about whether I care if it gets properly

I quite agree - I gave up worrying what people thought of my weird cycling garb many years ago. When it was a question of looking odd ( so they thought) and freezing personal comfort won hands down.

Of course lycra shorts etc were not as common then as they are these days.

Regards

Alan
    Regards
    Alan
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    For those who find hats too warm, just buy a Gore headband with ear panels
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    I use a cap + buff.

The original buff is windproof and breathable. It covers my ears, half of my face and tucks into my jersey nicely.

The cap (Walz) keeps the head warm when it's not and cool when it's hot. If you have a big head or enjoy letting your hair do its 'thing', it would be ideal as it's elasticated. It also has a visor so it protects you from the sun, dirt and you look cool. Well, that last one may vary.
  • rumbataz
    rumbataz Posts: 796
    Did some shopping today and bought some thermal socks (I know, not for face warming!), a skull cap and a scarf. It wasn't that cold this afternoon but the skull cap worked well and just about covered my ears. I had to adjust the helmet straps quite a bit to get a comfortabe fit with the skull cap on. It did the job very well and my ears felt fine.

On a side note the thermal socks worked wonders too. It was a bit of a squeeze getting me feet into my trainers as the socks were quite thick.

I haven't tried the scarf yet as it wasn't cold enough but I think i'm sorted for the winter now.
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    I think the OP has to decide how much they feel the cold as there have been plenty of suggestions, personally i do not like skull caps as i get to warm so i prefer buffs , even in - 10 i only used a buff doubled up to make a hat .
    Currently using a single layer buff cut in half at 6 am and its warm enough for me even when the cars have white windscreens and need scaping , yes it can be that cool in the country side .
    FCN 3/5/9