Dishwasher leaving everything covered in salt

rodgers73
rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
edited October 2012 in The cake stop
My wife seems to be obsessed with topping up the salt in the dishwasher.

Now all my cups of tea taste like some sort of margarita!

Any ideas for solving this that doesn't involve a domestic? Is there a setting on dishwashers that reduce the amount of salt released into the wash? Bloody hope so!

Comments

• team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    salt is not supposed to get into the washing chamber it is for water softening only.

• Check lid
    • blockage
    • overspill
    • get new wife
    • wash your own bl00dy teacup by hand in a sink, how hard can it be?

:D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    check the rinse aid?
  • She is putting the salt in the salt trap and not in the soap dispenser isn't she ?

We top up the salt about every three months - any more than that is pointless and we are in a very hard water area.
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    Apart from first two weeks of dishwasher never used salt. Couldn't be a*sed running behind the gritters.
  • rodgers73
    check the rinse aid?

That might be the root of this problem...
  • Are you in a hard water area? If not, you do not need salt. If the water is hard then there should be an adjustment to be made to the dispenser to regulate the amount of salt used per wash.

Stop being a man for a few minutes and read the instructions.
    'fool'
  • Our dishwasher has a + and - gauge on / in the salt chamber, have a look to see if you can adjust yours down.
    A person who aims at nothing is sure to hit it

Canyon Aeroad 7.0 summer missile
    Trek 2.1 winter hack
  • Empty the salt packet and replace with sugar.
  • rodgers73
    I asked her if there was a salt adjustment gauge thingy and she said no.

I'll have a look into this.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Sink full of hot water. Soap. Wipe. Done.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • markps
    markps Posts: 41
    Use 3-in-1 tablets, no rinse aid or salt required.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I fucking hate dishwashers.

When we move out of this shared house, we won't be buying one. Call me old-fashioned, but you cann't beat a drop of Fairy Liquid (keeps yer hands soft), some elbow grease and a splash of hot water.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • rodgers73
    I used to wash pots in a restaurant while at 6th form. Bloody hated it!

Never again...
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    Ben6899 wrote:
    I ******* hate dishwashers.

When we move out of this shared house, we won't be buying one. Call me old-fashioned, but you cann't beat a drop of Fairy Liquid (keeps yer hands soft), some elbow grease and a splash of hot water.

+1 for hating dishwashers, when ours worked it was a right chore emptying it every morning, and finding pockets of water on the pots which spill on the other pots, so you have to dry the f00kers anyway...since been slung and replaced with a cupboard.

Back on topic, we never ever put salt in it
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,949
    Ben6899 wrote:

Good for washing dishes too.

And for the OP, try moving inland.

The older I get, the better I was.

• steel42
    steel42 Posts: 49
    I am happy to say that this is decently a first world problem.
  • SheffSimon wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:

+1 for hating dishwashers, when ours worked it was a right chore emptying it every morning, and finding pockets of water on the pots which spill on the other pots, so you have to dry the f00kers anyway...since been slung and replaced with a cupboard.

Back on topic, we never ever put salt in it

We moved into a new flat with a dishwasher in it. I don't think it has even been turned on yet. People who say they won't live without a dishwasher in their flat are just plain lazy, and really should re-evaluate their lives, especially if they don't have kids. I cook very large meals for my wife and I, often involving things to be in the oven, plus various pots and pans (I average 3 pans a meal minimum) and it only takes my wife and I a few minutes to wash up even after a large dinner party with tons of plates.

My wife's brother lives alone, and just outs his stuff in the dishwasher straight away, and doesn't turn the thing on until he has run out of stuff in cupboards. You should see the state of that.
  • Perhaps not the thread to point out that dishwashers are both more hygienic and efficient than the soap & water approach. They use less water and less fuel, sorry.
    'fool'