Bike fitting

timdonald
timdonald Posts: 3
edited October 2012 in Road beginners
Hi,
I've recently bought my first road bike and was trying to get it set up properly. I have been using the info in this video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAl_5e7bIHk
I'm fairly tall (6'3) but it seems I have long femurs and the top half of me is not that tall. As as result, in order to get my leg position correct on the pedals (plumb line from bottom of kneecap goes through centre of pedal axle) I need the saddle at it's most backward setting. This then makes the handle bars so far away that it's really uncomfortable (if I hold bars at brake collars then the front axle is not directly behind handlebars as in video but way back towards me). The stem that came with the bike is 130mm but if I think I would need something about 90mm to make the bars comfortable and in line with the axle. My friend who is really into racing says that doesn't sound right (to have a 90mm stem on a fairly large bike).
My questions really are does this sound like a normal problem for tall people and how critical is it to get the bottom of the knee cap directly over the axle? Should I keep the saddle really far back and try a 90mm stem or move the saddle forward and ignore the pedal position?
I know being comfortable is the most important thing but I would rather sort these things out from the start then get an injury or something. Would love to go for a proper bike fitting but I live on a Scottish Island and am having to go it alone for a bit !
Thanks for any help.
Tim.
(Bike is a Pinarello FP Quattro if relevant).

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I would try and find a cheap shorter stem and try it...a 80 or 90mm stem might make the steering a little twitchy, but you'll only find out by trying. As you're stuck with your frame, a bike fitter has to work with the same as you, and they will try a shorter stem anyway. Can you post a pic of your position on the bike?
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I'd go and get a proper fit. Knee over pedal spindle has no anatomical basis, nor does hub behind handlebars when viewed.

You need to see a professional who actually understand anatomy and biomechanics. Whereabouts are you, I'm sure the collective can recommend something reasonable nearby.
  • Thanks, I will try to get a picture tonight when I'm on the Turbo.
    I'm on the Isle of Tiree (Hebrides) but will soon be in Llandudno (N. Wales). When I am back on the mainland I will definitely find a professional to help it's just until then.