Halifax 24/12 Hour Enduro

fenners68
fenners68 Posts: 6
edited November 2012 in XC and Enduro
Hi

Would anyone be interested in a 12 or24 hour Mountain bike endurance race around the Halifax area next year ?

Fenners

Comments

• Yes. 100%

I'm local (littleborough) so it would be ideal and the terrain would deffinalty be more interesting than a stately home estate.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Hi

Thanks for the interest, we are going to ensure it doesn't clash with any of the othechallenges that have been going for a few years. A website will be up soon and we will keep you informed . Do you have any specific comments.from previous events that we can embrace to ensure it is a good day ?

Fenners
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    All weather course.

Lots of toilets and showers.
  • Hi

That is what we thought of as quite important and also a 24 hour repair team in case of repairs, and probably a 24 hour food bar ?
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Yes definitely the food, absolutely fundamental.

Mechanic is probably useful, although knowing several people who've done it they say people tend to just turn up with a totally trashed bike and expect them to fix it FOC, rather than the point which is repair bikes damaged in the race!
  • All of the above, also running it next to a river or lake will help reduce the queue at the jet wash!

How serious about this are you? JMC did it with Hit The North and had a massive (but fun, i think) headache.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Very serious which is why I am starting the planning now. Speaking to all the different authrnorities etc, getting feedback from people like yourself. Loads of background work going on at the moment.

Cheers

Fenners
  • Do's:-

Showers
    Toilets
    24 hour Hot food
    Decent camping area
    Around 8-9m course, not overly technical because it pevents overtaking and causes bottlenecks.
    Good quality timing system (with live updates prefereably)
    Banter
    Trade stands, we all like a few freebies.
    Fairly compact course if possible, spectators can watch the racing that way.
    Allow BBQ's

Dont's:-
    Boring course over freshly mown fields
    Course location thats prone to muddy conditions
    Finish at 3pm on a Sunday, 12-12 would be an ideal time frame allowing people to pack up, watch the prize giving and make the journy home in a reasonable time.

I'll add more as I think of anything.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • grawp
    grawp Posts: 46
    I think it lives or dies by the course.
    Take The gorrick 100 for instance. It rained and rained right up to the event yet still 95% of the course was solid and provided quality, twisty singletrack to keep the motivation up after the legs had died.
    Black Mountains 3 day; was a total mudfest but the course was epic in the mountains. Don't forget we are mountain bikers not track atheletes.
    Do you have a trail centre you can use, because a natural track is going to suffer?
    If you could route the course through a tarmac car park and right through a big marquee for pit crews/food stalls etc then you would have a USP. With our unpredictable weather, a guarantee of some dryness would surely be a seller.
    Wish you luck.

P.S. A good compare on the mike makes a whopping diffence too. most my favourite events this year have had a funny guy on the mike. (Big Dog, Black Mountains 3 day)