Bike pumps (Floor and hand)

Dwarfer2012
Dwarfer2012 Posts: 2
edited October 2012 in The hub
Hi Guys i looking for some help.I am currently studying a BSc Degree in Mechanical Manufacturing Engineering at Newcastle College. Part of this degree course contains a module on Product Development. For this module I have been Hi Guys I’m looking for some help. I am currently studying a BSc Degree in Mechanical Manufacturing Engineering at Newcastle College. Part of this degree course contains a module on Product Development. For this module I have been given the opportunity to re-develop the conventional floor bike pump.

I would love to have some input from you bike users on what you find irritating about bike pumps. What parts commonly fail and what you would like changed. If anyone knows of some useful websites in the form of pump reviews and specifications would be great.

Cheers Dwarfer2012

Comments

• jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I've used a selection of pumps from some of the popular bike brands and they are about the same. The all pumped up tyres fine nothing broke or exploded. As long as you don't buy something cheap and nasty I don't think there is much to improve.

The only thing I can think of is something for the tubeless tyre market. There are already some high volume, low pressure pumps to try help getting tubeless tyres seated quicker. I have also seen some people make their own home made inflater by using a fizzy drinks bottle to store up large quantity of compressed air again with the idea that a large rush of air will seat the tyre better.

Possibly a more professional version of that might go down well. A standard track pump which you use in the conventional way or flip a valve and use it to fill up a reservoir with compressed air. Then flip another valve which releases the compressed air into the tyre.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Hi Guys i looking for some help.I am currently studying a BSc Degree in Mechanical Manufacturing Engineering at Newcastle College. Part of this degree course contains a module on Product Development. For this module I have been Hi Guys I’m looking for some help. I am currently studying a BSc Degree in Mechanical Manufacturing Engineering at Newcastle College. Part of this degree course contains a module on Product Development. For this module I have been given the opportunity to re-develop the conventional floor bike pump.

I would love to have some input from you bike users on what you find irritating about bike pumps. What parts commonly fail and what you would like changed. If anyone knows of some useful websites in the form of pump reviews and specifications would be great.

Cheers Dwarfer2012
    I'd like to see a fully automated 2-barrel pump. One large barrel and one small barrel. The pump uses both barrels at the same time to inflate at low pressure for speed (when I'm topping up my car tyres for example) then flips to just the large barrel once you get to 50 or 60psi and eventually flips to just the small barrel when you get over 100psi. This setup allows fast inflation without compromising the ability to push air at high pressure easily later on during inflation.

There are a couple of pumps which do this manually but I've not seen one which can do it fully automated.

I'd also like a release valve/button at the pump end (like you get with shock pumps).
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • One that doubles as a shock pump
    pity those who don't drink, the way they feel when they wake is the best they will feel all day

voodoo hoodoo