Mudguard advice - Vitus Vee

passout
passout Posts: 4,425
edited October 2012 in Commuting general
I'm going to buy a 2013 Vitus Vee 1 (rigid S/S MTB with V brakes & frame fittings) when its out, for commuting purposes. I already own various crud products that I can use - they attach to the downtube & seat post & offer some protection from the wet. I do get changed / showered at work but obviously I'd rather not get soaked.

So... is it worth investing in some full length, proper, mudguards (like SKS)? I have full gurds on my road bike but have never used them on a MTB - always just used crud products. Any recommendations or tips re products & fitting full guards?

Cheers
'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.

Comments

• Big_Paul
    Big_Paul Posts: 277
    I just took the full length guards off mine, they're great for the rear but the front one has to go over the top if the front brake, ither that or cut the guard to fit the brake arms.

Worst thing is that they change the look of the bike for the worse.
    Disc Trucker
    Kona Ute
    Rockrider 8.1
    Evil Resident
    Day 01 Disc
    Viking Derwent Tandem
    Planet X London Road
  • SKS Chromoplastic on my MTB, probably the best guards you can get. I only use my MTB for commuting. These guards won't be suitable for off-road though as they are too long.

Make sure you buy the MTB version and not the road version.

Wiggle is best price...

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sks-chromoplast ... guard-set/

MTB_bike_pic016.jpg

MTB_bike_pic011.jpg

I also use Tortec Muguards for my Hybrid, they are very good as well because it has a high-viz reflective strip around the edge for good side vision. The pic below is for 700c wheels. But they are also available in MTB version...

IMG_0340.jpg

IMG_0331.jpg

IMG_0335.jpg
  • Tortec ones are a little more money at £35

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Tortec-Reflecto ... _21528.htm

SKS chromoplastic MTB from Wiggle are £23 because of sale price.

The Tortec guards didn't have a long M4 bolt to go through your forks if you need this. I had to source from local bike shop.

The SKS chromoplastic have everything you need for all scenarios, so you even have a few spare bolts left of various lenghths which is great for future use.
  • Or get a Vitus Velu 2012 on sale 33% off which is ready fitted with guards and rack for a little more money

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=67796
  • passout
    Thanks all - useful stuff

RE other vitus - after another singlespeed...
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Big_Paul
    Big_Paul Posts: 277
    New versions are on CRC website, look to be a sticker change and a hefty price hike. :roll:
    Disc Trucker
    Kona Ute
    Rockrider 8.1
    Evil Resident
    Day 01 Disc
    Viking Derwent Tandem
    Planet X London Road
  • passout
    Big_Paul wrote:
    New versions are on CRC website, look to be a sticker change and a hefty price hike. :roll:

Yeah I think its 300 which is still good - should've got one last yr before the 19" ones sold out.