what would halfords have done on 6 week service

shigllgetcha
shigllgetcha Posts: 145
edited October 2012 in MTB beginners
I dont know If I can be bothered carting the bike upto halfords for the first service. 30 miles and im moving house

What would they have done that I can do myself.

It has hydraulic brakes so they probably wouldnt have done anything with them I guess

Or do people think I really should bring it up to them

Comments

• waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    Probably just check bolts/nuts are tight, check gear indexing, check wheels are true, a basic once over, all straightforward enough.
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • yeh just stuff I can do myself really I guess?
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Make sure there isn't any stupid stuff in the warranty about it being serviced by Halfords.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • yeh was just thinking that ill have a look
  • simey83
    simey83 Posts: 113
    Mate bought a Boardman. After 6 weeks they bled the brakes and delt with any problems he had. They are pretty useless anyway. I would do it yourself or take it somewhere else.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    simey83 wrote:
    Mate bought a Boardman. After 6 weeks they bled the brakes and delt with any problems he had. They are pretty useless anyway. I would do it yourself or take it somewhere else.
    And this is bad why?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    what would halfords have done on 6 week service
    Ride it round the car park and pull skids.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • jolmes
    jolmes Posts: 144
    simey83 wrote:

It's narrow minded people like you who give the good staff a bad name.

6 week check is just as described by waby1234 - nothing you probably couldn't do at home yourself. Just if there is anything wrong, you might have to take it to LBS or whatever and have to pay for it, most stuff, if small during the 6 week check is done for free, unless of course its something ridiculously expensive or broken.

Probably quicker to get it done yourself though and then don't have to part with the bike for a few days :)
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    simey83 wrote:

why would you take it somewhere else and have to pay for it when its free from the shop you bought it from :?:
    jolmes wrote:
    6 week check is just as described by waby1234 - nothing you probably couldn't do at home yourself. Just if there is anything wrong, you might have to take it to LBS or whatever and have to pay for it, most stuff, if small during the 6 week check is done for free, unless of course its something ridiculously expensive or broken.
        and if its something that shouldn't be like that it should still be free
      Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
    • simey83
      simey83 Posts: 113
      lol that escalated quickly.

Ok i was harsh. Im going by the certain store my mate brought it to. The brakes where worse after and there where other problems, which he got fixed somewhere else. If you're sh*te, you're sh*te! Im sure there are good ones about :'(

Happy?
    • Rushmore
      Rushmore Posts: 674
      Pull the brakes.... Thats about it lol
      Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
      De Rosa R838
    • I'm a bit pissed with Halfords. They emailed me offering an inspection thing which i had no intention of taking advantage of but the crank of my Voodoo started creaking badly as last couple of days. As i'm heading out tomorrow i first tried to see if Halfords would take it apart and lube it to see if it was that simple. I asked to book the bike in over the phone and i would drop it in. They were too busy which is fair enough, it was short notice. So i asked to book it in for the beginning of the week. The reply

"I'm sorry is it possible that you just bring the bike in and we'll put a label on it, we have got a few customers bikes muddled up and the work needing done to each, its easier for us just to put a label on the bike with your name on it and the work required, saves us from making mistakes"

Now i appreciate that booking it in was probably unnecessary anyway but who in the right mind would tell their customers something like that over the phone, not very inspiring eh

Well i've heard the stories on forums, i guess despite wanting to make my own mind up its starting to be of the same opinion as others
    • zanush
      zanush Posts: 161
      My halfords sorted out a bb issue on my fs team and also sorted out my spongey rear brake and adjusted the gears etc for it's 6 week service. Maybe i got lucky but there are also some naff bike shops locally but due to halfords being a chain it's bound to gather more negative opinions tbh.
      Boardman Fs Team
      Felt F95
    • waby1234
      waby1234 Posts: 571
      The good vs. bad Halfords debate has been covered a quadrillion times already.
      2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
    • cooldad
      waby1234 wrote:
      Especially when the whinge is about them trying to make sure they don't make mistakes.
      "I'm sorry is it possible that you just bring the bike in and we'll put a label on it, we have got a few customers bikes muddled up and the work needing done to each, its easier for us just to put a label on the bike with your name on it and the work required, saves us from making mistakes"
      I don't do smileys.

Parktools
    • screw it dont think i could be bothered
    • Emphursis
      Emphursis Posts: 124
      When I took my bike for it's 6 week check, they basically just checked that everything was still tight and working. They also re-aligned the derailleurs slightly.
    • cooldad
      That's exactly what it is, a check and tweak if necessary.
      I don't do smileys.

Parktools
    • cooldad wrote:
      waby1234 wrote:
      Especially when the whinge is about them trying to make sure they don't make mistakes.

Gees sorry fair point, although sending me an email asking me to ring the store to arrange it first got me thinking each store had a magic fairy who could tell the difference between 3 different bikes

I should have mentioned that part first but at least you were there with your constructive criticism to help me see basic customer service from a different angle, i'm sure your reaction would have been of course much more positive than mine
    • cooldad
      Magic fairies? You've lost me this time.
      I don't do smileys.

Parktools
    • chez_m356
      chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
      Gees sorry fair point, although sending me an email asking me to ring the store to arrange it first got me thinking each store had a magic fairy who could tell the difference between 3 different bikes

I should have mentioned that part first but at least you were there with your constructive criticism to help me see basic customer service from a different angle, i'm sure your reaction would have been of course much more positive than mine
      you are talking about halfords, so there would be a better chance of any "3" bikes getting serviced in there being all the same make and model than any other shop in the world..."possibly" :)
      Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011