Mud Sweat & Gears 20....13!!!

bigdawg
bigdawg Posts: 672
edited October 2013 in XC and Enduro
So looking forward to next year already, and were only in August..! Seems kind of wrong esp as theres kind of still one race to go... But provisional dates are:

Provisional MSG 2013 dates:

• Sunday 17th March
• Sunday 21st April
• Sunday 19th May
• Sunday 16th June
• Sunday 14th July
• Sunday 4th August
• Sunday 8th September
• Sunday 6th October

As you can see we have taken the bold step to expand the series to 8 rounds (unprecedented for a regional MTB Series).

So one a month, one rumoured to be the olympic course, its looking pretty good already!
dont knock on death\'s door.....

Ring the bell and leg it...that really pi**es him off....

Comments

• As a 29 year old beginner how likely am I to die if I try to do all of these?
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars and glory lasts forever.
  • bigdawg
    not at all... Theyre really good fun..

If youre local (ie south east esses'ish) then come along next week to the langdon hills round and see what its all about - although there will be a lot more riders, and a lot more very good riders, as its a national race not just part of the local series.

VW - who posted a lot on the previous mud sweat & gears threads) can tell you what to expect as a 'beginner', bu the main thing is enjoy yourself, theyre great fun you get to ride round as fast as you want and can be sure youre not going to bump into a group of dog walkers/ramblers/horse riders (delete as applicable) round the next corner...

• IhateDNS
    IhateDNS Posts: 380
    rougarou wrote:
    As a 29 year old beginner how likely am I to die if I try to do all of these?

Beginner
    I look at it as finishing a race forget about racing other and beat the clock. On my seconded race I was looking to to do two or three laps. Don't start off to quick best advice I got from others here.

I missed the point its meant to be fun! Category as warrior

OO dates MSG 2013. This will be my four year more new places I hope :)
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work!
  • C0LL0
    C0LL0 Posts: 271
    Looks like a lot of interest in next years races, if the beastway has definatly finished I shall enter entire series, if Hadleigh park does get used it'll be a sell out straight away.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    bigdawg wrote:

VW - who posted a lot on the previous mud sweat & gears threads) can tell you what to expect as a 'beginner', bu the main thing is enjoy yourself, theyre great fun you get to ride round as fast as you want and can be sure youre not going to bump into a group of dog walkers/ramblers/horse riders (delete as applicable) round the next corner...
    Me a beginner? :lol:
    I have been riding/building bikes all my life if feels like, never entered a race until 4/5 years ago, Bigdawg helped out massively on simple things that make a massive difference.

rougarou What sort of riding are you doing at the moment? how often are you riding and for how long?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • bigdawg
    vw you riding the series nextyear??

• VWsurfbum
    bigdawg wrote:
    vw you riding the series nextyear??
    Think i might, now got a bit more time on my hands, live a ridable distance to work (to make it easier to train) and i feel after loosing a bit of weight and having a light bike again i could be coming for you Bigdawg :wink:
    Having 8 races makes it a bit more interesting too. more about consistancy than out and out pace?

I learned a bit more this year too, so would like to carry that over into the next years racing. and also making the most of not being in the Vets for another few years :lol:

The one MSG i did this year at Codham, was ACE, loved it, it was fun. But i started from the very back row, as i changed tyres inbetween practice and starting. there was no way i could make up enough ground to be near the front to get a decent position, i think i've been spoilt in the last few years of being seeded and starting on the front row. :P

Looking forward to this weekends race to see how i get on in a one off event.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • C0LL0
    "I learned a bit more this year too, so would like to carry that over into the next years racing. and also making the most of not being in the Vets for another few years :lol: "

You scared of joining us vets then :lol:
  • VWsurfbum
    C0LL0 wrote:
    "I learned a bit more this year too, so would like to carry that over into the next years racing. and also making the most of not being in the Vets for another few years :lol: "

You scared of joining us vets then :lol:
    Christ yeah, they are mental!
    Watching some of them plow past some of the slower riders this year was disgraceful, you would of thought the older people get, the more respectful they may become? (it is a minority i know)
    I'm not sure how calm i would be if i was barged out the way?
    Plus it was definatly the most closesly fought catagory?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • bigdawg
    that should be a thing of the past now - I was actually barged into a bush by one of the grand vets - fortunately MS&Gs had received numerous 'comments' about his riding and was reminded how to ride..!

• pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    I'm in the bush barging category next year.... I'll try not to upset you youngsters though :lol:
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • bigdawg
    christ at this rate theyll be no on left in the others!!

• VWsurfbum
    The amount of new bikers from this summer, assuming they all stick at it, it will be sell out events next year!
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • C0LL0
    It always suprises me at how competative the vets class is, but as I can't change my age, I'll be back into full body contact MTB racing again next year :-)
  • evo3ben
    evo3ben Posts: 552
    How ya doing chaps!! We are spoilt with 8 rounds this year 8) and you never know, we might even have Hadleigh Farm on one of the later dates!
    They are really spread out with 1 race per month but i suppose it makes space for more racing inbetween :D Shame Beastway wont be running though. Going to get a few marathons in next year as well so that should help fill the gaps.

Im a few years off Vets thank god. Sometimes i think the vets cat is faster than the senior cat, they may well be overall!

13th overall in 2h Sport this year but not sure if i will be doing either the Open or Sport for next year. One thing that is certain, it will take alot to beat the weather conditions we had this year!

So whats you predictions on venues? Here is mine....

Tunstall Forest
    Hylands Park
    Thetford Forset
    Codham Park
    Ickworth House
    Danbury
    Hadleigh Farm
    Langdon Hills
  • VWsurfbum
    Take Danbury out, nuclear bunker in
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • bigdawg
    i was just going to say that - I did actually speak to matt a couple of weeks back and he pretty much confirmed they will be the 8 venues - I dont think we'll see danbury again, not the best of courses and I think they were struggling with actually designing a decent course there.

I just hope with tunstall being first its a bit more 'varied' than last year - did the whole race in a 46t big ring this year.

• Ickworth House will MSG be let loose next year? Was ok but need more woods and less driveway.
  • bigdawg
    bit OT you may have seem this already on the kents events page but:

y Whipstakes summer series » 24 Sep 2012 23:00

Well thank you for your kind comments truely appreciated. Well fingers crossed whipstakes summer series will be back in 2013 (but sadly not at whipstakes farm) we have some exciting ideas for the race series - would love feedback of what riders would like to expect. Early days of planning
    Whipstakes summer series

You really dont know how happy that makes me - prob my favourite race series ever - great courses, great organsiers, and good riders...

• C0LL0
    Matt and our Graham, (sorry slipped into Cilla there) are looking into a few new venues for next year, but I believe the Nuclear Bunker is one of them and Hadleigh park is on the cards for both MSG and the final round of British Championship, so may not see langdon hills as a venue next year.

2 chances to ride Hadleigh park, how cool is that, for us who live within spitting distance to it :lol:
  • bigdawg
    I thought the British Champs were another National points and not a MS&gs.. Ill miss Langdon if its not on next year..

You going this weekend??

• C0LL0
    Matt organises the round for BC, so although same people but not under MSG banner.

If you mean Hadleigh park, yes marshalling on Sunday, are you?
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    I'm quite interested in entering a competition, Thetford is local to me and being pretty flat this would be a good starting point, not looking to think I can win but just to give it a go and not come last.
    Now I'm 42 and have never done anything like it before, so what would be the best category for me to enter without me being out of my depth and looking a total pratt, would the Open 17+ be the best starting place for me.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    WindyG wrote:
    I'm quite interested in entering a competition, Thetford is local to me and being pretty flat this would be a good starting point, not looking to think I can win but just to give it a go and not come last.
    Now I'm 42 and have never done anything like it before, so what would be the best category for me to enter without me being out of my depth and looking a total pratt, would the Open 17+ be the best starting place for me.

You're a Vet :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • WindyG
    Yeah sadly I am, just worried if I enter that category I just get left behind in no time, I don't expect to win but I would like to at least give it my best.
  • bigdawg
    in vets youll get a right mixture the super fast loons at the front and people like yourself out for a ride not necesarilly out the back..

Im not sure what the open class is is that 17 to whatever age??

• IhateDNS
    IhateDNS Posts: 380
    edited October 2012
    Open is for fun ride\race any age I believable and only one hour race. Vet is later on in the day and more money.
    I'll be staying in Open category. Open doesn't sound as good as Warrior category :D
    Yeah sadly I am, just worried if I enter that category I just get left behind in no time,
    :| Who care! other then you.Only time I think about this i when I get lapped :wink:

Edit: See you on the start line WindyG :mrgreen:
  • WindyG
    Looks like it Open it will be then, at least then I can judge from there if I'm any good at all and then consider moving up to the Vet category.
  • evo3ben
    evo3ben Posts: 552
    WindyG wrote:
    Looks like it Open it will be then, at least then I can judge from there if I'm any good at all and then consider moving up to the Vet category.

As you are near Thetford, have you thought about racing in the Thetford winter series? They have a beginner race category also and might be worth having a go to get some racing under your belt before mud sweat and gears and then you may even decide to race in the 'Open' category in MSG.
  • WindyG
    I wanted to use the time before MSG to get a bit fitter.