Help With Chain Removal

Redber67
Redber67 Posts: 19
edited October 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I wonder if anyone can help me please? I want to remove my factory fitted chain (KMC-Z51) but can't seem to find or see a missing link (or removable link). Is this correct for factory fitted KMC's, or am I being a bit dumb here? And if there isn't a removable link I guess I will need to purchase a chain removing tool? Do I need a particular make or type, or will they all work on most sizes of chains?

Many thanks in anticipation of your help.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    why are you removing it?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    In answer to your second question all chain tools should work for splitting as far as I know. I use the one on my topeak Alien multi tool, the park tools one looks pretty nice as well
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • Uli
    Uli Posts: 190
    Cheap KMC chains have sort of missing link but it can be used only once. Use chain tool and remove the chain with it .
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    And even if you have a quick link you need a tool to fit a new chain.
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    Uli wrote:
    Cheap KMC chains have sort of missing link but it can be used only once. Use chain tool and remove the chain with it .

Cheaper KMC ones are re-usuable, only the 10 speeds are one use.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Er, that's not entirely true.
  • Uli
    Lower speed chains come with single use links as well.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    zx6man wrote:
    Uli wrote:

Most KMC 10 speed are reusable as well. (Some are single use)
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    zx6man wrote:
    Uli wrote:

KMC links are all reusable.

it is the 10spd Sram Powerlock that is not reuseable.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Uli
    http://www.kmcchain.eu/cms/bijlagen/Con ... eUs_GB.pdf
    "non re-usable"
    Just asking as I am confused too now :)
  • nicklouse
    http://www.kmcchain.us/kmclandinga.asp?bsid=34&ssid=572
    MISSINGLINK
    Every cyclist knows that a stalwart bike requires parts that will last. Keep that upkeep to a reliable minimum with KMC Missing Links (tools-free and reusable), master links, and half-links. Each connecting link is compatible with Shimano, Sram, and Campy chains, offering you the most diverse choice in repairs.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Some that they say need a tool and not reusable:
    http://www.kmcchain.eu/?en/products/con ... ing_links/
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • zx6man
    Shall we say to replace a KMC-Z51 then for its replacememt *Which I think are the Z8s?) you can use a re-usabele KMC missing link :-)
  • Redber67
    Redber67 Posts: 19
    edited October 2012
    Thanks for your advice all! I have again checked my chain - this time with a magnifying glass - and there is NO missing link in it. I have therefore today ordered a Park Tool CT-5 so I can take out a pin instead to allow removal of the chain.

I have also purchased some KMC Missing Links - For a 9 speed chain 6.6mm - and the pack clearly says they are re-usable. Yes - confusing! However, they are cheap enough so maybe I won't re-use them.

In terms of removal/installation a KMC YouTube video does show that these Missing Links can be installed and removed by hand, but because they also sell a tool to do this probably means doing it by hand is likely to be very difficult!
  • nicklouse
    as discussed and show above some are reuseable some are not. so it seems you have got the reuseable ones.
  • zx6man
    Redber67 wrote:
    Thanks for your advice all! I have again checked my chain - this time with a magnifying glass - and there is NO missing link in it. I have therefore today ordered a Park Tool CT-5 so I can take out a pin instead to allow removal of the chain.

I have also purchased some KMC Missing Links - For a 9 speed chain 6.6mm - and the pack clearly says they are re-usable. Yes - confusing! However, they are cheap enough so maybe I won't re-use them.

In terms of removal/installation a KMC YouTube video does show that these Missing Links can be installed and removed by hand, but because they also sell a tool to do this probably means doing it by hand is likely to be very difficult!

I bought the tool but no need, I do it by hand, save your pennies mate its easy.
  • DanDax1990
    DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
    The first few times are normally a pain but after should be fine.
  • Redber67 wrote:

Originally you said you were removing a Z51 chain? If you are using a Missing Link on this, you will need a 6~8 speed Missing Link (7.1mm pin). KMC part number: CL571R.

Regarding reuseable and non-reusable missing links,

Some people want locking (non-reusable) missing links for peace of mind, so we still offer these. However, the safety of reusable Missing Links is excellent. this gives a good run down: this gives a good run down:
    http://www.kmcchain.eu/?en/products/con ... ing_links/