Rat Race "The Crossing" 12th-14th July 2013

BikingBob
BikingBob Posts: 77
edited April 2013 in XC and Enduro
Me and my brother are putting in for a pair event, anybody else thinking of or actually going to take part?

Team Name: Dawn Till Dusk

Info below:

http://www.ratracecrossing.com/index.html
Scott Scale 50 (Custom Spec)
Scott Genius LT 30

Comments

• welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    yeah i thought about doing it until i saw the £300 entry fee!!
  • same here - £340 seems pretty high, there are 4 day holidays including vehicle support and meals for a similar price in the uk
  • I think the entry fee will put most people off.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Is it even a race?

All the pictures seem to show more recreational riders on a variety of bikes, including hybrids. Seems they're going for the charity angle, rather than race, but that makes the entry fee even more extortionate! They then charge extra for debit or credit cards too!?
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    Me and a mate are thinking of doing this, the entry fee is the same for a pair as one person apparently so if there's two of you it's halved.
  • Rigga wrote:
    Me and a mate are thinking of doing this, the entry fee is the same for a pair as one person apparently so if there's two of you it's halved.

That doesn't sound right to me. Are you sure about this because it doesn't read like that to me but if you're right that makes a big difference :!:
  • Dimme
    Dimme Posts: 5
    Me and some friends normally participate as well. It al depends if we find enough sponsors :)
  • Sarnian
    Sarnian Posts: 1,451
    I have just been looking at this, and thinking of giving it a go not race for a couple of years so it might be a good come back. The entry fee is a bit steep even more so as I have to get the van over to the mainland and drive up, but the mrs is happy to turn it into a holiday at the end :D
    It's not a ornament, so ride It
  • RandG
    RandG Posts: 779
    It was the price of entry that put me and a mate off. In regards the pair entry, my understanding of that is that if you enter as a pair, you get it for £10 cheaper than you would if you both enter individually not half price.
  • grl
    grl Posts: 65
    Got very excited by the event and me and a mate were going to have a go but got put off by the price tag. Sure it's value for money looking at what you get for the cost but its still beyond me unfortunately.
    Cube AMS 110 Pro
    Spesh Rockhopper Comp
    Bianchi Nirone 7
    Spesh Sirrus Comp
    Dahon D7 Speed (for sale, PM if you woudl like to buy - a bargain!)
  • Ok, unfortunately we are pulling out of the race due to me being on course and unable to complete it.. :(

Best of luck to all those who do !!
    Scott Scale 50 (Custom Spec)
    Scott Genius LT 30
  • Thinking about entering this "race" / event, does anyone know the exact entry fee? Also people are saying hard tails will be ok some are claiming full sus. Any idea of terrain ? Like the peaks or easier ? Just want a general idea.

Thanks guys.
  • I too have been looking into this and the price tag is just the killer for me. I also thought it read that for a pair the price would be in the £600 region with £20 quid knocked off. I also can't work out quite how much of the route is off road and how much is on road as that could make all the difference with bike/tyre choices.
  • Angoose wrote:
    I too have been looking into this and the price tag is just the killer for me. I also thought it read that for a pair the price would be in the £600 region with £20 quid knocked off. I also can't work out quite how much of the route is off road and how much is on road as that could make all the difference with bike/tyre choices.

I'd chip in with you save a tenner each if you like, don't think anyone knows what's going off with this "race" yet
  • fnq59
    fnq59 Posts: 37
    I was the same, all set to enter, then ultimately couldn't justify the entry fee. I am planning a few days in the Lakes with a mate instead.
  • The Lake District loop sounds similar. I think I read its 40% off road. £300 is ridiculous but its inspired me to do a 3 day ride!