New seat post won't fit - urgent please!

notax
notax Posts: 138
edited October 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Just trying to put fit a new carbon seatpost to my 2003 or 2004 SC Blur ready for a trip to Cwmcarn tomorrow. Whole bike has been over hauled and is brand new except frame and wheels. Anyway, when I bought the seatpost I checked the size on various forums as it was ilegible on the post I removed. Everywhere seemed to agree 30.9. I just tried fitting the new post but it feels just too tight. Just taken it to LBS but all their mechanics had gone. They measured the tube at 'just over 30' and agree it looks tight. I've bought some carbon grip stuff to help ease it and they suggest cleaning the inside of the tube with wire wool and possibly opening the tube up slightly with a screw driver down the slit? :shock:

Any fast advice appreciated as I need bike ready for 8am tomorrow as lending my O5 to a mate. Thanks.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    does it fit?

is the seat tube clean?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • notax
    Phew, got it sorted :D I think as the original post had lost its paint it was all on the inside of the tube. I polished it up, still too sug, but as the LBS suggested I eased the slit apart and this combined with some lube has done the job 8) Now just have to tackle fitting the new grips - going to use the cable tie method...

And if anyone is at Cwmcarn tomorrow pop over and say hello, I'll be on the polished Blur.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Notax wrote:
    I eased the slit apart and this combined with some lube has done the job

:shock:

:lol:
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I'd be taking that post out regularly to stop it seizing!
  • notax
    Me-109 wrote:
    Notax wrote:
    I eased the slit apart and this combined with some lube has done the job

:shock:

:lol:

:lol::lol:
  • notax
    njee20 wrote:

Yes, I'm not sure that Carbon Grip was the best method for fitting it either! Can I use normal grease on carbon or copper ease? I think I'll try and remove the post tomorrow and coat it with something a bit more slippery.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Ordinary bog standard grease is best. Avoid lithium grease though.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I'd avoid any grease full stop. Carbon paste is unlikely to make it worse, I'd use that or dry. Personally I run mine dry.
  • sanchez89
    sanchez89 Posts: 567
    Notax wrote:
    njee20 wrote:

Yes, I'm not sure that Carbon Grip was the best method for fitting it either! Can I use normal grease on carbon or copper ease? I think I'll try and remove the post tomorrow and coat it with something a bit more slippery.

carbon GRIP will do the opposite of making it slippery. it helps grip so you dont need as much pressure on your clamp.

not sure your supposed to use grease on a carbon post (something to do with the chemicals in it attacking the clear coat finish?) id run it dry and make sure the inside of the seat tube is nice and smooth so it wont scratch the post to shit
    2011 KHS Full Susser Carbon 29er Race Build
    Clank wrote:
    M'eh, I might just go back to zapping it with frikken lay-zur beeeems. And sharks.