Spoke lights...yay or nay?

cookeeemonster
cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
edited October 2012 in Commuting general
Was thinking about getting some spoke lights at some point soon - what are peoples experiences/opinions of these? Do they affect handling? Battery run out too soon (so costly) and so on.

I've only seen them in the flesh once and that was yesterday. Visability wasn't great as I'm going against the traffic on the A13 part of the CS3 on the way home (it's a cycle path on the pavement alongside a 6 lane dual carriageway) and so I had headlights in my face in dusk/post dusk light conditions (i.e. it was getting dark). Only noticed the guy because of what looked like red flashing lights on his forks...viewed from the front. They were in fact spoke lights. Wouldn't have seen him until I was a lot closer otherwise.

Also do you have any recommendations? The only ones I've seen in the shops are these for £19.99: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cateye/sl120-spoke-light-set-ec019850

Cheers in advance

Comments

• kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    Hi, I have those and other types, not sure of their effectiveness but they look good! - I would still use main front and rear lights.
  • sigorman85
    sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
    No lol
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2
  • 3M ScotchLite reflectors would probably be a better bet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqAy9Gx5 ... ure=fvwrel
  • so is that a yay or nay? ;)

1 for
    1 against
    1 suggests something else
  • I'm with Oldfield - reflective tape on a couple of spokes will do as good a job and be cheaper.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • Well I and a few of my friends have the 3M things (from Aldi a couple of weeks back) and they are great. I know one person who has _some_ kind of spoke lights - not sure if they're the same as the one you linked to - and they're terrible.

You could consider revolights, which look cool, but cost about £150+ or something ridiculous. Apparently you can make your own that TYPE of thing for about £2-http://lifehacker.com/5920564/make-your-own-revolights+like-led-bike-lights

So yeah, I'm against (+1) :) Sure, the 3M things don't actually illuminate you, but when a car's headlights point in their general direction, no one can claim to have not seen you.
  • cheers for the replies all.

I got a pack of the spoke reflectors from Aldis a couple weeks back, still not fitted them yet...will do this weekend.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    Sime tyres, Schwalbe for instance, have reflective sidewalls which wok very well and provide good sude visibility without your needin to go fo weird things like spoke lights.
  • Nay! I'm with the 3m reflectors, got them on all 3 bikes (from 1 pack) and they light up really well in 'headlights'