The big LIGHTS thread 2011-2014

Comments

• jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Ouija wrote:

thanks for the link, they look like they should do the job fine.
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    Anybody else had problems with lightmalls? I've got a couple of things that have been 'dispatched', but the tracking numbers don't work. Paid by paypal so should be covered.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • Anybody else had problems with lightmalls? I've got a couple of things that have been 'dispatched', but the tracking numbers don't work. Paid by paypal so should be covered.

I just received 2 501B U2 torches from them after a 5 week wait. For the first 3 weeks I had a China Post Airmail tracking number, which didn't work at all. Then I got an email saying this:

"Dear KokaKona,
    This is bill zeng from lightmalls.com ,thanks for purchasing on our website ,
    For this email,I'm very sorry to tell you that we need to resend your order to you as the strict Chinese customs, Now the customs become very strict for all the goods from China(some security issue) ,
    so make your order sent back to us , Now we had re-send your order Via Singapore Post Airmail already,the new tracking is RFxxxxxxxxxSG ,you will receive it in 7~12 working days ,
    during this period , if you have any problem , please email us , we will try our best to help you , and when you received the order,please let us know also!
    I'm so sorry again , hope you can understand !

Best regards
    bill zeng

Lightmalls Team
    "

The Singapore Post Airmail tracking number worked fine, but only had tracking details as far as leaving Singapore airport, after which there was a further nearly 2weeks until they finally got delivered.
    So whether I was unlucky with Chinese customs and Lightmalls provided a good backup service, or this was for example an excuse they used to wait for stock or something I'll never know.

But anyway, they're here now, and it's all forgotten!
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    There does seem to be something unusual going on. Normally people get their goods in 10 days. But once we get to the end of October - forget it. You can be waiting anything from 2-weeks to 2 months.

Has anyone got recent fast delivery - and did it contain cells or not?
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,817
    My LM order is a 3xT6 lightset with battery pack - after sorting out a screwup close to 2 weeks ago (accidentally placed order for 2 but got invoiced for 3), from the start of this week I've been able to track mine via the fed-ex number. Hoping I won't get landed with any extra charges from fed-ex. It left LM on the 8th, went to H-K, then Paris and is now showing as at Stanstead as of 30 mins ago.
  • jairaj
    I'm thinking of upgrading my Ultrafire 502 torch with a newer drop in. I currently have an XP-G R5 1 mode running at 1A. I think that outputs about ~350lm.

I thinking of getting an XM-L T6/U2 drop in. Any body know what current they can run the XM-L for extended periods?

Do the Ultrafire torches dissipate enough heat for the XM-L to run at 2.5amps for extend periods? If not any idea what is an suitable current?

FYI this is for my modified head torch and I prefer a 1 mode driver that I can just keep on all the time rather than a multi mode hence me asking about suitable current for extended periods.

thanks
  • any good recomendations for AA based lights?
    i'm looking for a smaller bright torch for commuting - my 501 xml's are far to bright for london roads. its over kill and they are a little on the large size

needs decent run time on with a strobe option - any one use anything they would recommend?
  • Well with a bit of searching i've foud a some 3w single AA torches on ebay at very cheap prices
    Will probably be fine with a simple bike mount
  • diy
    jairaj wrote:
    I'm thinking of upgrading my Ultrafire 502 torch with a newer drop in. I currently have an XP-G R5 1 mode running at 1A. I think that outputs about ~350lm.

I thinking of getting an XM-L T6/U2 drop in. Any body know what current they can run the XM-L for extended periods?

Do the Ultrafire torches dissipate enough heat for the XM-L to run at 2.5amps for extend periods? If not any idea what is an suitable current?

FYI this is for my modified head torch and I prefer a 1 mode driver that I can just keep on all the time rather than a multi mode hence me asking about suitable current for extended periods.

thanks

For the price of a drop in you may as well get a new torch. The XML is fine in the 50x at up to about 2.5a but better at 2a
  • ian_s
    ian_s Posts: 183
    diy wrote:
    There does seem to be something unusual going on. Normally people get their goods in 10 days. But once we get to the end of October - forget it. You can be waiting anything from 2-weeks to 2 months.

My 3 torches, charger and mounts arrived during the week - took about 10 days. No cells.
    I paid about $6 for Singapore post. While i was orderring the free delivery to the uk disappeared. When i asked they said they had had problems with UK customs when using China post (the free option) so they had removed that option.
  • andyrr
    There was a major Chinese holiday recently - about a week ago ? - that may have impacted communications and order progress for some.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    anyone had deliveries from Dealextreme with stuff missing ?

I've had a set of stuff turn up in a paper envelope that has burst open, royal mail stuck it in a bag with the warning note to say 'this is how it came into the uk' but of course it's the actual torch (and the more expensive of the 2 I bought) that is missing... have sent a note to customer services.... anyone reckon I'll get a replacement?
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    IMO worth paying a few £s extra and buy in the UK. Saves a lot of hassle.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • jairaj
    diy wrote:
    For the price of a drop in you may as well get a new torch. The XML is fine in the 50x at up to about 2.5a but better at 2a

thanks for the info.
  • andyrr
    My LM, light arrived today via Fed-Ex as it had been touted on the Fed-Ex page where I'd been tracking it's progress for the last week or so.
    http://www.lightmalls.com/3600-lumen-3t ... -light-kit
    Plugged in as soon as I opened up the fairly crappy cardboard box it came in (not a proper box as my previous DX lightsets were in with nice foam compartments for each item).
    Light unit a bit heftier than the old DX SSC lights - not heavy or over-bulky by any means.
    It's very bright though on the brightest setting, at a guess the lowest is maybe equivalent to my existing light and on brightest it really is significantly brighter.
    It's now strapped to the bars so I'll be able to give it a quick test tomorrow on the way home and see what real-life side-by side road comparison shows.
    For $74USD (58 + 16 shipping) it's a good deal.
    As ever, longer term reliability and, especially, charging, will remain to be seen.
  • sparky.2002
    sparky.2002 Posts: 118
    edited October 2012
    Just took the sky ray king out.insanely bright, very floody with very little spot but......the fecking thing turns itself off on every bump!!
    Just stretched the springs out (you can hear the battery's wobbling about). Also, I'm going to solder a ring of 2.5mm copper wire to the driver board to try and maintain the connection to the +ve end of the cells. Will take it out again on Wednesday night and report back.
    Excellent light for the modder - no good for for anyone else!

IMG_20121016_115903.jpg

bodged driver -- seems to make better contact with the cells, hope it works better than last night!!
  • I have a Ultrafire C1 torch thats a couple of years old now, it worked fine untill last week but now bearly lights up at all, the emitter glows but only just. Is this fooked or just a loose connection somewhere, I've stripped it down and rebuilt without any improvement.

I know they're cheap as chips and more efficiant now but i kinda like my old one.
  • andyrr wrote:
    My LM, light arrived today via Fed-Ex as it had been touted on the Fed-Ex page where I'd been tracking it's progress for the last week or so.
    Plugged in as soon as I opened up the fairly crappy cardboard box it came in (not a proper box as my previous DX lightsets were in with nice foam compartments for each item).
    Light unit a bit heftier than the old DX SSC lights - not heavy or over-bulky by any means.
    It's very bright though on the brightest setting, at a guess the lowest is maybe equivalent to my existing light and on brightest it really is significantly brighter.
    It's now strapped to the bars so I'll be able to give it a quick test tomorrow on the way home and see what real-life side-by side road comparison shows.
    As ever, longer term reliability and, especially, charging, will remain to be seen.

I had one of these delivered last week. Took it out last night on the road bike for the first time and it was very impressive and out shone the other riders torches even on low. . Need to find out how long the light lasts on full beam as thats not clear from the website, but it lasted the hour or so I used it for last night with no probs. Will test it on the MTB next week.
  • diy
    bodged driver -- seems to make better contact with the cells, hope it works better than last night!!

I'd put some tape on the cells too to pack them out a bit and stop them moving. The other option is maybe some high density foam in the middle of the battery bay to keep them in place.
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    diy wrote:

I'd put some tape on the cells too to pack them out a bit and stop them moving. The other option is maybe some high density foam in the middle of the battery bay to keep them in place.

Might also want to get longer 'protected' cells if you don't think the spring is long enough.
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    stan1000 wrote:
    andyrr wrote:

I had one of these delivered last week. Took it out last night on the road bike for the first time and it was very impressive and out shone the other riders torches even on low. . Need to find out how long the light lasts on full beam as thats not clear from the website, but it lasted the hour or so I used it for last night with no probs. Will test it on the MTB next week.

Managed to attach mine to the hope universal mount.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=23533

Took a bit of filing to fit and had to do a bit of searching to find a suitable replacement (M4) screw as the original was too short. Great light - haven't had the chance to take it out, though.
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    diy wrote:

Ordered some mounts from ebay and they arrived from China in 8 days. Still no sign of the Lightmalls stuff, although they have said they'd check the tracking info (of course they will and Israel will recognise Palestine bringing peace to the middle east)
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • tincaman
    tincaman Posts: 508
    Ouija wrote:
    xpg's are a joke these days.

Not when the head has 4 of them in it eg MJ872
    872_b.jpg
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    tincaman wrote:
    Ouija wrote:
    xpg's are a joke these days.

Not when the head has 4 of them in it eg MJ872
    872_b.jpg

Nope, i would include that. A twin head T6 would outshine that while using considerably less juice.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    But will be bulkier- that 872 makes a good compact, light helmet light.

Also, it's more a matter of optics than LEDs but I'm yet to see a dual XML that has as good a beam as the 872. I think if I was buying new I'd probably go for a dual, or maybe that Lightmails triple, but the XPG ones are far from outclassed from what I've seen. Execution is more important than componentry sometimes, as many cheap single XML lights prove.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    In related news... My Skyray turned up. Bigger than I was expecting, and frankly looks ridiculous on the bars. Only very briefly tested it, it's a little spotlighty but not bad (a wider beam would make better use of the power rather than creating an atomic hotspot). No probs with switching on/off or anything like that as reported earlier in the thread (maybe it's my longer protected cells?) The size and weight makes mounting a little trickier than most, had to beef up my QR mount with a little plastic welding. Despite its weight it does feel cheap.

Going to give it a proper ride, I think, later this week. It's got its work cut out to impress though.

All in all... It's a pretty stupid thing and I can't recommend it for most people. But if like me you've got outmoded torches and spare batteries, it's cheap and it does have a pretty good punch, so worth considering.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Took the king out last night. Never skipped a beat with the driver mod. I am using unprotected cells... that will probably explain the difficulty's I was having.
    It may look spotty when you blast it at the kitchen wall...but take it out on the trail and it is not spotty at all. I also took the xpg 501b's out, 1 on the bars, 1 on the lid. The light output was fantastic!!...far far brighter with more spread than anything I have ever seen.
    But...I've got to agree with northwind, can't recommend it purely because it looks a little daft!!
  • I bought one of these ( not at that price though it was £13 when I got mine!)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140718566099? ... 1497.l2649

To supplement this

http://dx.com/p/ultrafire-th-t60-ha-ii- ... 8650-57007

I thought they had same emitter and approx samw rating in lumens and so would give the same light (approx) but the 501b on high is just a bit brighter than the th t60 on medium and not as bright as the high on the th. Have I misunderstood the specs or is the 501b I got duff? The switch was a bit iffy but after tightening everything up it seems ok now just not nearly as bright as my th t60. I reckon as a supplement back up it is maybe ok (maybe drain batts less?) but have nothing else to compare it to so not sure if it performing as it should.

Any opinion/ advice?
  • diy
    Unless you can measure the amps on both it will be hard to comment, but I suspect your 501 is driving at 1.5A and your t60 at 2.5A or something like that. The problem with the ultrafires is that they are a non-brand, so you can buy from different sources and get different drivers.

I bought some from the same source last year and got 2 different drivers. I now have mine colour coded with tape to know which are my 2.5A ones and which are my 1.8A ones. I tend to use the 1.8A ones on the road bike.

I personally prefer to buy from suppliers who publish the currents per mode. The other thing I have found is that the naked eye finds it very hard to see the difference in output. You really need a camera with Manual mode to be sure. My 2.5A lights don't look much brighter than my 1.8A lights until you get them out on the road or look at the exposure data on a decent camera.
  • Nobby Nic
    Nobby Nic Posts: 119
    I`ve just received my lightmalls order exactly 10days after ordering, so not bad.
    _dsc4100.jpg

Can anyone recommend a better mount for bars or helmet ?