Voodoo Hoodoo Click/Creak

screemin187
screemin187 Posts: 31
edited October 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Apols if a repost, tried to search with no success. **Newbie warning**

Been having problems as last two days with a click/creak coming from what i think is the crank/left pedal area. Being a newbie i just assumed i'd take it apart and lube it, haven't the tool i need to get it apart. Live & Learn

But on reading through the tech section i see creaking etc can be a problem on various bikes. Its driving me nuts. Bike was/is my starter in mountain biking and although i'd like to upgrade eventually this bike has to do me this year, its not that old, maybe 2 - 3 months

Can anyone please advise me what the normal basic home checks you'd do if this starts to happen, and presuming i'm not going to get stuck 5 miles away from the van tomorrow morning. I'm an average home mechanic type but guidance preferred first. Is there anything i can do to eliminate that its not a bigger problem than maybe cleaning or adjusting something?

Any magical trickery tips much welcome, e.g someone tell me to spray something on the whatdoyoumecallit and it will go away instantly would be perfect if it works! Obviously on a serious note i want to sort it, its doing my head in

The noise is like a double click tick/tick when i pedal left down, if that makes sense

Thanks

Comments

• oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    The quickest and easiest option is to try a new set of pedals. I think the Hoodoo comes with Wellgo flats if i remember correctly? I know that a lot of them develop clicking/creaking/crunching sounds within a few weeks-months of use.Too many times i've swapped pedals in the shop and it's sorted the problem straight away.

If it is not the pedals then it could just possibly need a bottom bracket service (assuming the noise is coming from the bb area). I know from much experience with a lot of the Halfords bikes is that the BBs are not very well greased in the manufacturing process. To service the bottom bracket yourself, at the least you will need an 8mm allen key, crank extractor, and a BB tool (to remove the cups).
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    oxocube1 wrote:
    I know from much experience with a lot of the Halfords bikes is that the BBs are not very well greased in the manufacturing process.
    This is bollocks and has nothing to do with Halfords - BB's are manufactured by Sram, Shimano etc and fitted to a frame by the bike manufacturer. Halfords (or any other retailer) have absolutely nothing to do with it.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • oxocube1
    cooldad wrote:
    oxocube1 wrote:
    I know from much experience with a lot of the Halfords bikes is that the BBs are not very well greased in the manufacturing process.
    This is bollocks and has nothing to do with Halfords - BB's are manufactured by Sram, Shimano etc and fitted to a frame by the bike manufacturer. Halfords (or any other retailer) have absolutely nothing to do with it.

hehe you misunderstood me. I know it has nothing to do with Halfords, i work there! I mean during the factory assembly process of a lot of our bikes, there is very little grease put into the frame with the BBs. I have serviced a good few only days after being purchased and a few have been running on almost bare metal on metal! I'm sure it's not the same with every bike, but the ones that have the problems early on seem to have the same issue with too little grease.
  • Thanks for the replies, i reckon that this isn't getting sorted tonight. I have tools galore but no crank extractor, i knew that looked like a puller/extractor was required. Damn it. I did look at tightening/torquing some bits cooldad but have no specific torque figures for the rings/crank etc. I guess its a shop job this time, will pick up some more tools for back up, just no good to me tonight unfortunately

Yes oxo the pedals are wellgos, could it seriously be the pedals? I'd try anything. Have you seen this before with the Hoodoo? Its a really great starter bike and up to now i've loved it

I'm presuming this click won't stop me going out tomorrow morning, or rather isn't a sign of anything to force tomorrow me to cancel mornings trails?
  • oxocube1
    Yes i have seen it a few times with the Wellgos, not just on the Hoodoo but on the many other bikes they come supplied on. It does not happen to every pair, just a handful. And it's definitely worth trying another set just to eliminate them as a problem as it is potentially an easy fix.

Have you had your first free service yet at your Halfords store? if not you can get them to put a different set of pedals on and try it quickly in the car park to see. That's what I do when customers come in with the same problem.

No i can't imagine it will prevent you from riding tomorrow, however it is best to get it sorted sooner rather than later just so that you can be sure nothing is getting damaged.
  • No I haven't, to be honest i wasn't going to bother but probably will now that this has happened. I wonder if they will let me watch them doing it so as i know for again

I will let you know how i get on, will leave it in tomorrow afternoon then. Ah man, i hope this is easy sorted

Ref the Park Tools thing, great source of information but had read everything i could online tonight and watched countless youtube videos and was getting no further forward hence the new topic
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    cooldad wrote:
    oxocube1 wrote:

He didn't say it was halfords fault and how you read that he did ill never know. Talk about jumping the gun......
  • cooldad
    Er because he said 'Halfords bikes'. The two points, namely Halfords and BB's are totally unrelated.
    If he had made it clear in his first post that he meant his experience with BB's whilst working at Halfords my post would be redundant, much like yours is. Keep up.
    But I am sorry you are ill, if that's what you mean, and hope you get well soon.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I thought he made it perfectly clear by saying he had lots of experience with many halfords bikes. ?? No ?
  • Check your chain too, my hoodoo was creaking and clicking, it got worse on a really muddy ride, I spotted a cracked link, then another (luckily I had a twin pack of connectors and a chain tool), on cleaning when I got home I found 3 more split links. Don't think the stock chain is great!
    pity those who don't drink, the way they feel when they wake is the best they will feel all day

voodoo hoodoo
  • cooldad
    jimmy182 wrote:
    I thought he made it perfectly clear by saying he had lots of experience with many halfords bikes. ?? No ?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • bonezy
    bonezy Posts: 129
    Check the chainring bolts before messing around with the bottom bracket / crank. Some may be loose, or try taking them out, regreasing and re-tightening. Worked for me.
  • Cheers!

Went to Cavehill last Saturday morning. Sprayed a bit of GT85 here and there and about 2 miles in, it just went away. Came home, washed the bike as it was filthy and it bloody started again. My mate was up at CRC and asked a sales guy there could water cause it and he said yeah it can be caused by water? Heading on hols at the weekend so will throw it into Halfords when i'm away and hopefully get it sorted. I'm not going mad with the washing nor am i using a jetwash etc, has to be a grease thing
  • ben11
    ben11 Posts: 103
    I also have a hoodoo and have cured this twice before.

First time was pedal threads, remove, clean and grease takes 5 mins, this fixed for me.
    you can also strip down crankset clean and regrease, was not an issue for me but worth a go.
    remove BB clean and regrease - this fixed the 2nd time I had creaking.

Good luck!