Giant Trance X3 buying advice (now owner)

97th choice
97th choice Posts: 2,222
edited November 2012 in MTB buying advice
Here's the deal, never got on with my boardman team FS as the frame set up didn't give me any confidence at all when going downhill, great for singletrack etc but when the going got steep it just felt all wrong and nervous, especially when hitting something at speed.

I've tried a specialized camber in comp and elite form and whilst I love the looks, the giant trance x3 seems a better specified bike for the money and on a short ride apart from wanting wider bars it feels like a great bike.

I've read a load of reviews and feel fairly confident this is a very sorted allrounder, but before I pull the trigger on the credit card could any owners/riders provide some feedback on how they feel it performs in various conditions, especially on downhill technical stuff?

Cheers in advance.
Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
Radon ZR 27.5 Race
Btwin Alur700
Merida CX500

Comments

• I just bought a giant trance x3 2011 last week , not had chance to ride it yet this week but will be going out this weekend for defo so will let you know how she rides soon as . Oh and this bike looks the shit , has great kit and from a quick ride round block felt great . Cant wait to hit my local trails .......
  • I have a Trance X Ltd and I am way over biked (and under legged!). Love mine to bits.

I think the Trance has been BOTY for 3 years on the bounce so I don't think you will be going wrong with your choice.
    2011 Giant Trance Ltd, 2016 Revs, XT bits etc.
  • I had one. Wouldn't have there is much in it between the Trance and Camber.
    Trance rides really well but needs a shorter stem and wider bars to improve handling.
    BB30 bottom bracket is stupid and expensive.
    To be honest I think it would be better to upgrade your Camber rather than get a new but very similar bike.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    I had one. Wouldn't have there is much in it between the Trance and Camber.
    Trance rides really well but needs a shorter stem and wider bars to improve handling.
    BB30 bottom bracket is stupid and expensive.
    To be honest I think it would be better to upgrade your Camber rather than get a new but very similar bike.
    doesn't he say he has/had a boardman FS and has tried the camber ?
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • I have a 2011 Trance X3.
    I have done over 500 miles on it now, this includes trips to the Peaks, and lots of trail centre red routes and a black route.
    Only modification has been an Easton Haven 711mm wide bar and some Token lock on grips.
    What can I say other than this bike is amazing. Its handled everything Ive thrown at it.
    I was 97 kg's when I got it, so no feather weight. Im now down to 85 kg's, still throw it about just as much, and it just takes it all in its stride.
    If there was 1 weak point it would be the Avid Elixir 3 brakes. My rear brake has been so noisy, Ive rotated the pads numerous times, reseated the caliper etc. In the end I put some superstar pads in, but it still squals now and again.
  • andy_welch
    andy_welch Posts: 1,101
    I've got a Trance X2. It's a great bike but not really any different to your Boardman, so I can't see why you'd be any happier on it. Both have pretty much the same head angle and travel and will feel pretty similar on the trail. If you want something to give you more confidence then go for something slacker. Or just build your skills up. Plenty of folk ride technical stuff on a Boardman just fine.

Cheers

Andy
  • Thanks for the advice, I've got a 160mm forked banshee that I use for the seriously lairy stuff but the boardman is the early version and I reckon the head angle is even steeper than originally advertised, It just tends to push your weight forward to compress the fork and gets really twitch and unsettled, I've spent plenty of time fetling the shock and forks to know that it's just the bike frame and nothing else I can really do about it, I could fit a shorter stem but then the whole thing might start feeling cramped. I've run with the bike for two years but enough is enough.

I think I've made my mind up on the giant, and will fit wider bars, thanks for the comments.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • FWIW I upgraded mine with RaceFace Atlas Bars at 725mm and a 70mm Atlas stem. I have recently upgraded the Elixir 3's to M785 XT's also. These mods took the bike from very good to a superb allrounder and very capable on steep, rocky terrain. This is coming from an Enduro to the Trance. They are known for feeling like they have more travel than 125mm front and back. You won't be disappointed. :D
    If at first you don't succeed, spend some more money on kit!

Giant Trance X3 2011
  • Cheers for that, bought the bike today and picking it up next week.

Also I'm enjoying the LBS experience so far, glad I didn't just use them and buy online.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Cheers for that, bought the bike today and picking it up next week.

Also I'm enjoying the LBS experience so far, glad I didn't just use them and buy online.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay and what year model is it. Thanks

JC
    Pédale ou crève
    Specialized Elite Allez with 105
    Rockrider 8.1 : )
  • £1300, 2012 model.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • £1300, 2012 model.
    Thanks, enjoy your new bike.

JC
    Pédale ou crève
  • One thing that also persuaded me to buy was the upgrade potential of the frame, as it's the same as the X0 and will run up to 140/150 mm forks.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Waiting myself to maybe buy a Trance X2 2011. Should have an answer beginning of the week. Did quite a bit of research and a lot of people seem to rate the Giant Trance (and Anthem) pretty well.
    JC
    Pédale ou crève
  • One thing that also persuaded me to buy was the upgrade potential of the frame, as it's the same as the X0 and will run up to 140/150 mm forks.

Anything over 120mm will invalidate the warranty (I asked Giant when I had mine) but it does ride well with 140mm up front, wouldn't go to 150mm though.
  • strange, that, the XO comes with 140mm forks and the standard model runs 125mm

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/giant-tr ... 78482.html

?

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • I also had a 2011 Reign X2 which came with 160mm forks. Giant told me that fitting 170mm forks would invalidate the warranty even though the X0 & SX models which use the same frame come with 170mm forks and if you buy the frameset then you can fit up to 180mm forks.
  • Well, I have her home and from the brief rides I'm very happy, the LBS did a great job in setting her up and spent a decent while showing me everything and setting up sag on fork and shock.

I can see me changing the bars and stem soon enough, and going to swap the nobby nics for high rollers, although I doubt she will see too much action over the winter.

Now, time to sell the boardman FS, can't decide whether to sell her whole or break her.... :lol:

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • 97th choice
    Quick update after a few weeks of ownership, so far loving the bike. It's so chuckable on twisty single track, solid on descents and climbs well. I've had no problem with the occasional gap jump and although I appear to be using full travel it never actually feels that way.

Only downside/gripes is that the 3 x 10 set up seems pointless, would have preferred 2 x 10, and there is an annoying amount of chain slap.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    take the outside ring off adjust your limiter, shorten your chain and put a bash guard on, doesnt take long reduces chain slap and is cheap.
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • 97th choice
    Yeah, done that on other bikes of mine. Shame there's no way to fit a stinger

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • you can fit a stinger, just a bb mount one.
  • 97th choice
    Daft question, but I thoughthey only worked with external BB?

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • sandy771
    sandy771 Posts: 368
    Put an slx shadow plus on my x3 and so far am very happy with it
  • 97th choice
    I'd need to swap the sram shifters as well if I did that.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Daft question, but I thoughthey only worked with external BB?

No, you can trap them behind conventionl BB's, can't use with pressfit without ISCG tabs obviously!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Really fancy the GIANT TRANCE X3 but specifically the spec on the 2011. I feel the 2012 and 13 are lower spec but also lower price?

The only place I know with the 2011 is Chain reaction?

Does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations?
  • I meant Pauls Cycles!
  • mikeyj28
    mikeyj28 Posts: 754
    Buy the best spec you can afford as it'll cost you more to upgrade than buying the bike as stock with better parts.
    if you already have decent parts to put on though then get the cheapest version and upgrade.
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • 97th choice
    2011 x3 has better drivetrain and brakes, everything else the same. If I wasn't buying local I would have spent the extra 100 for the 2011, although that would have been closer to 200 with postage!

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500