Made the change today. ! !

Toe knee
Toe knee Posts: 525
edited October 2012 in MTB beginners
Firstly hello all,,

I have been on the road beginners forum for a few months now, any how here goes my tale,
I'm 47 yrs old , packed the fags in last July, about 15stone,not a lot of exercise, so after been inspired by people riding past my house on the Liverpool to Chester sportive , by inspired I mean all the different levels of fitness and bikes saw,
So in the November I got a claud butler hybrid on the bike to work scheme, after many rides on my local paths and routes I thought to my self, I think I will swap this bike for a road bike ( this was done in the shop I got the hybrid from,and ended up with a claud butler echelon road bike ) so after a few rides on the roads,one with someone of the forum, and a few near misses with cars and vans, I have thought f### this im going to end up badly injured or worse doing this, and with one son just going to university and my other son getting married in 2 years, thoughts were of me wanting to see the outcome of both situations.

So I had a little look on here before, and thought I want to go back on my cycle paths and then maybe more tracks, so I
Rang the same bike shop up and said could I swap the road bike for a mountain bike and he said yes bring it in and see what I can do...!
So this afternoon I ended up with this. http://offtherockcycles.co.uk/shop/info_matts10v.html
Any thoughts on this would be appreciated thanks. :lol:

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Bit late for thoughts if you have bought it ;-)

For the riding you describe it will be fine, good frames and some competent parts. just keep an eye on maintenance, and, if you venture further off road and the fork feels too bouncy, think of an upgrade to a damped unit. Apart from that, enjoy!
  • Nice looking bike, but I'd not want to hammer that on any trails with V brakes. Although sometimes I feel that disks are just as rubbish when they get waterlogged.
  • JayKay3000 wrote:
    Nice looking bike, but I'd not want to hammer that on any trails with V brakes. Although sometimes I feel that disks are just as rubbish when they get waterlogged.
    Discs will clear out in one or two wheel revolution though, and then they work fine.
    Ice, on the other hand... hmmmm.
  • bloghog
    bloghog Posts: 40
    For the riding you are describing cycle paths and tracks that bike should be fine for a beginners bike. It will give you a chance to get out and about and see if you like mountain biking. As you get more adventurous and your skills and fitness develop you can always upgrade as things wear out.