Afan Whites

concorde
concorde Posts: 1,008
edited October 2012 in Routes
Does anybody else think it's just too rocky to enjoy on a HT? It's awful I think and getting worse! The Wall is the same, never used to be as bumpy/rocky as it is these days. Other trail centres are much more enjoyable on HTs.

or is it just me?

Comments

• mini-eggs
    mini-eggs Posts: 811
    I often ride afan on a hardtail, at the moment all the diversions ruin the ride.

I do think the trail has become more rocky over the years, but on the whole i find it ok on a HT, only some small sections i think its become a bit too bumpy.
    Follow me on....Google+
    Shop here....eBay Shop
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I'm not just sure why people continue to make long journeys to Afan frankly!
  • concorde
    njee20 wrote:

Thankfully it's not a long journey for me, but I see your point, I would not be if I didn't live the other side of the mountain, I can ride there in 30mins. To me it seems like a purpose built trail centre that has been left to go to the dogs.
    mini-eggs wrote:
    I often ride afan on a hardtail, at the moment all the diversions ruin the ride.

I do think the trail has become more rocky over the years, but on the whole i find it ok on a HT, only some small sections i think its become a bit too bumpy.

I didn't find the diversions on Whites too bad, apart from that fire road climb after the black section having to be done twice!! Much prefer the hard pack of other trail centres.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    njee20 wrote:

just out of interest, why? if you lived somewhere flat then afan would be a good place to ride wouldn't it?

i ride afan on a hardtail, but i haven't ridden whites recently. i did the skyline a few weeks back and didn't find it any worse than usual :?
  • concorde
    welshkev wrote:
    njee20 wrote:

just out of interest, why? if you lived somewhere flat then afan would be a good place to ride wouldn't it?

i ride afan on a hardtail, but i haven't ridden whites recently. i did the skyline a few weeks back and didn't find it any worse than usual :?

Did parts of Skyline as part of the diversions on Whites on Sunday, it wasn't as bad as some parts of Whites. First time I rode The Wall about 3 years ago it was a lot smoother than it is these days. Somebody said they can't help it, the type of soil that's there gets washed away easily, leaving the rocks behind or something.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    I think I'd probably rather ride the Twrch and a couple of runs on Mojo at Cwncarn to be honest. Afan is completely shagged right now with all the diversions.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • welshkev
    Concorde wrote:
    [

Did parts of Skyline as part of the diversions on Whites on Sunday, it wasn't as bad as some parts of Whites. First time I rode The Wall about 3 years ago it was a lot smoother than it is these days. Somebody said they can't help it, the type of soil that's there gets washed away easily, leaving the rocks behind or something.

sounds plausable because i know a lot of people moan that cwmcarn is rocky and doesn't stay smooth, maybe i'm just used to it.
  • njee20
    I think I'd probably rather ride the Twrch and a couple of runs on Mojo at Cwncarn to be honest. Afan is completely shagged right now with all the diversions.

+1, save an hour!

Or go a little further and do Brechfa.

There's less than a day's riding at Afan now I reckon, much of which is on fireroads, with diversions. Skyline was totally shagged last time I did it, and was only ever really worth it for the last descent. W2 is alright, but all the linking stuff and the Wall climb is really dull IMO.

Good if it's on your doorstep, but I'd not travel there currently. Maybe when the Penhydd replacement opens.
  • concorde
    welshkev wrote:
    Concorde wrote:
    [

sounds plausable because i know a lot of people moan that cwmcarn is rocky and doesn't stay smooth, maybe i'm just used to it.

Have asked a couple of people and they've said they don't find Cwmcarn as bumpy as The Wall, but it's still not smooth. Might give Twrch a go on the weekend.
  • welshkev
    Concorde wrote:
    welshkev wrote:
    Concorde wrote:
    [

Have asked a couple of people and they've said they don't find Cwmcarn as bumpy as The Wall, but it's still not smooth. Might give Twrch a go on the weekend.

i'll let you know what it's like, i'm supposed to be riding it thurs evening. i haven't ridden the full twrch for a while :D
  • So not worth a 3 & 1/2 hour drive from the Midlands for the weekend then. Penhydd was closed last time I went (18 months or so back), is it a major revamp of the area?
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    UNfortunately not. Just logging. Once its all done I am sure they'll set to work on it and get it back up to speed, but until then, not worth the trip.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • welshkev
    Pedal Head wrote:
    So not worth a 3 & 1/2 hour drive from the Midlands for the weekend then. Penhydd was closed last time I went (18 months or so back), is it a major revamp of the area?

there's also reports that the penhydd will open back up as a blue trail, nothing like the old one. i think they're aiming it more at the family market now with the green trail open there aswell.

Gethin woods will be the place to go when it's open and i can't wait to see CC's new trails as i think i know where they're going to be and the riding there is great 8)
  • mini-eggs
    mini-eggs Posts: 811
    Penhydd will be a blue trail but there will be a red loop added which supposedly use some of the old penhydd sections.

According to the cognation site, Penhydd will be reopened in March 2013
    Follow me on....Google+
    Shop here....eBay Shop
  • njee20
    If it's a decent blue I'm sure it'll be great, the blue red combo at Brechfa is fun, fast and swoopy!

My issue is just that you can ride what's there in day, without much effort, and much of it isn't that great! If you can get a local guide (like those up there ^^) then I'm sure the natural riding is great, but I'd not drive 3.5 hours just to ride there myself!
  • welshkev
    njee20 wrote:
    If it's a decent blue I'm sure it'll be great, the blue red combo at Brechfa is fun, fast and swoopy!

My issue is just that you can ride what's there in day, without much effort, and much of it isn't that great! If you can get a local guide (like those up there ^^) then I'm sure the natural riding is great, but I'd not drive 3.5 hours just to ride there myself!

yeah fair enough, i see what you mean.

and i do enjoy the blue at FoD so hopefully it'll be something like that :D