Matlock/Derbyshire

skyblueamateur
skyblueamateur Posts: 1,498
Going to take a trip up to Matlock/Derbyshire way to tackle a few of the climbs in the 100 Greatest Hills Climb book.

Could ayone recommend a decent, hilly route between 40 - 65 miles long?

Thanks

Comments

• Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Yes - are there any local climbs you want to include ? Are you looking at doing a nice route or as many of the well known climbs as you can fit into 60 miles ?

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Hi Tom,

Thanks for the reply.

I was looking at maybe doing the Riber climb but am open to suggestions to be honest. I suppose I'm after a mix of both scenery and climbing. Being from coventry it's flat as a pancake round here so want to challenge myself a bit but then on the other hand I'm travelling up so a nice bit of scenery wouldn't go amiss either.

Not asking for much I know :mrgreen:

Thanks
  • oli2001
    oli2001 Posts: 350
    go on kilo to go website. i did the white peak sportive last week. choice of 60 or 80 mile routes. maps of the routes on there.
  • oli2001
    forgot to add. i'm from baddesley ensor / atherstone in north warks & its not as flat as a pancake round here. If you head out past keresley/corley way its hilly, but not in the same league as the Peaks etc
  • Thanks Oli.

I know there's a few climbs up Hartshillway. Being from the south of the city I'm not as familiar up that way. I've done up rond Purley Chase Lane etc but any other hilly routes you can point me in the direction of would be much appreciated. Thanks.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    edited October 2012
    Knocked up a bit of a route but I'm afraid it ended up a bit too long !
    http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course. ... rse=468446

Tried to get Cat and Fiddle and Winnats in there - maybe you could make a day of it and have a cafe stop on the way round - there's a good one in Hope on the main road through.

Edit - the route is meant to be done anti clockwise by the way

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • oli2001
    hey sky blue
    with regard to north warks. if you headed a bit further there are a few tasty climbs out of hartshill/athersone/merevale lane towards furnace end and fillongley. its quite bumpy around there. its the north warwickshire escarpment and it follows a ridge towards cov from baddesley ensor direction along ridge lane.
  • Knocked up a bit of a route but I'm afraid it ended up a bit too long !
    http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course. ... rse=468446

Tried to get Cat and Fiddle and Winnats in there - maybe you could make a day of it and have a cafe stop on the way round - there's a good one in Hope on the main road through.

Edit - the route is meant to be done anti clockwise by the way

Fantastic. Thanks very much. I'll try and get on this in the next few weeks. Thanks again 8)
  • hey sky blue
    with regard to north warks. if you headed a bit further there are a few tasty climbs out of hartshill/athersone/merevale lane towards furnace end and fillongley. its quite bumpy around there. its the north warwickshire escarpment and it follows a ridge towards cov from baddesley ensor direction along ridge lane.

Thanks Oli. Any hills in particular you'd recommend? Have a training run in the week where I take Green End Lane in which is one fo the biggest hills I know of round here. Thanks
  • oli2001
    not sure where green end lane is? i'd like to though!
    you could try any of; Boot hill, baddesley up from A5, a 10 % climb 5 minutes(ish) that could be extended up to Bentley.(10 -15mins)
    follies lane, again up from A5 steeper but shorter
    merevale lane, from A5. a steep double climb, bit of a bruiser
    mancetter to ridge lane (past mancetter quarry)
    corley rocks, a shortie
    atherstone to bentley a decent burner too and furnace end crossroads towards atherstone,
    known the mad mile
    I try and link them altogether for a good hilly route. google earth should help. i've got several routes on my satmap active 10 and if i ever figure out how to download them i'll let you know!
    not in the same league as the peaks though