managed my first 100 kilometer ride today

big_p
big_p Posts: 565
edited October 2012 in The cake stop
I feel like I've stepped up a bit, I've managed to do a 100k ride with almost a 1000 meters of climbing and 50k of very windy, exposed flat.

i seemed to get the pace and fuel supply just right too, i rolled onto the drive with a 99% depleted tank and a big fat grin.

I'm just wondering were the other 60k i need to find is going to come from ?

Any way, here's the data.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/230476447

Comments

• Well done.
    big p wrote:
    I'm just wondering were the other 60k i need to find is going to come from ?

You seem to have done a good time/avg speed for your 100k. To do the 100miles you just keep going further, eat and drink more, and it takes a bit longer.
    Min Elevation: -54 ft

Where was that? [insert appropriate smiley]
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    Nice one. Well done.
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    Good going, I was going for this today but ended up running out of steam :roll:

It wasn't all bad as I did 54 miles so it was my first 50 miler. I'll get the 100k next time! :lol:
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • brilliant - good profile getting all the difficult climbing in the first half. How did you find belmont from the other side?

I'll have a go at a bit of that route- i need to familiarise myself with the route round brindle/euxton/leyland. well done.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Nice one! Managed my first 100km yesterday. 1500m of climbing. Almost killed me :L
  • big_p
    brilliant - good profile getting all the difficult climbing in the first half. How did you find belmont from the other side?

I'll have a go at a bit of that route- i need to familiarize myself with the route round brindle/euxton/leyland. well done.

"Belmont from the other side" feels like a long steady climb, not hard or steep, just long. the hardest bit for me was out in the spud fields of burscough/southport, the road is about 3 meters higher than the surrounding land, the head wind was hideous.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Well done, great ride.
    You might want to up your cadence a bit but it's a detail.
    I've just done my 46th 100 this year, so keep going and you'll soon find them much easier.
  • big_p
    it is something I've been working on. i usually spin at 80-85 on the flat, i think that 72 average includes the non pedaly bits and i was in the low 60's on the steep Belmont stuff.
  • big p wrote:
    it is something I've been working on. i usually spin at 80-85 on the flat, i think that 72 average includes the non pedaly bits and i was in the low 60's on the steep Belmont stuff.
    The max cadence says 205 :shock:

That's more than three revs per second... is that even possible? (Don't think I could pedal that fast, but then I'm pretty new to it all :oops: )
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • big_p
    don't believe everything you see on a Garmin device, the 205 reading must have been a glitch.
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    Well done... just keep setting and beating targets and you'll be at 160km in no time! I started off riding 20km thinking it was far and in less than a year completed five 160 to 200km rides back to back!
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    andy46 wrote:
    Good going, I was going for this today but ended up running out of steam :roll:

It wasn't all bad as I did 54 miles so it was my first 50 miler. I'll get the 100k next time! :lol:

The first time I did 100Km was when I was aiming for a 50 miler. The section when I got to 25 miles out was an 'out and back' and I just kept going :lol:

I then realised I could be on for a 100Km ride and added a loop on at the end that took me to 64.25 miles.

My first 100 miler was a Sportive and frankly I'd recommend anyone who wants to hit that milestone to do the same. You get to a point where carrying on is difficult mentally and being with other people REALLY helps
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter