Saracen Mantra 1

J_asonR
J_asonR Posts: 55
edited October 2012 in Your mountain bikes
Evening All (Depending on your location),
Below is a pic of my oldish (2005/6/7) Saracen Mantra 1.. I got this for Christmas sometime in the 3 years mentioned, but I don't know exactly when..

Anyway, I will be using this bike for some XC fitness riding and hopefully doing the C2C from Whitehaven to Sunderland in the Spring of next year..

I dont know any of the specs on it as it's not a decent bike and to be honest, it's just to get fit and hopefully after winter I'll get myself something half decent which I can know all the specs for like a proper biker!

This bike was hardly rolling at the beginning of September, but after a little tinkering on the brakes, a new crank set, new tubes and some time at the LBS for gearing problems it's now working as much as I need it to for the moment..

1zflo5g.jpg

I also have a Specialized road bike, but I know even mentioning it in this part of the forum is bound to lose me any potential friends!

Comments

• Looks OK. Have fun on it! Mash it on the trails to learn then get something decent.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Far from a bad bike for it's day, check link in my sig for my 2006 Carrera.....

Not sure about the pedals though!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • J_asonR
    J_asonR Posts: 55
    Not sure about the pedals though!

The pedals were just a little experiment on my first ride, they're mountain bike clips, not the road ones, and they're actually quite comfortable for XC, uphills and easier with the extra power from the upstroke (taking advice from roadies for this).. The only thing I'd say is the shoes I've got for them are a little bit uncomfortable for the trails because they're made for roads.. Will have to get some proper MTB shoes on next payday after trying out the clips on a few more rides, and then normal flats too!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Sorry then, thought they looked like something to take SPD-SL!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Flats are interesting to ride with because they can bring up flaws in the way you ride. Hucking the bike into the air is a little harder though on flats although jumps feel more fun on flats. Spds can make the ride a little mechanical as your feet are only really ever in one position.

Generally I ride spds on trails I know well or that are not that technical. Graded red or natural xc trails which are fairly easy and then flats for rock gardens, mountain riding and black graded runs I'm not used to.

Only problem with flats with the pins in is that they can be really sharp and I've had a few times when I've been standing with the bike and the bike has rolled forward and the pedal has chewed my leg. I'm pretty good at sticking to the bike when it's moving though!

In essence it's good to be confident with both types.