Forum login changes

scwxx77
scwxx77 Posts: 1,469
I'm concerned I'll be able to see race results (i.e. spoilers) if I'm redirected to the main site to log in. Can you confirm what 'Instead of going to the forum to log in, you'll get directed to our main site' will mean regarding this issue. Also this seems less convenient, after I log in will I be redirected back to the forum? Thanks.
Winner: PTP Vuelta 2007 :wink:

Comments

• josnor
    josnor Posts: 207
    To log in you will have to go to a non-forum page. You don't have to go to the homepage, but if you click on the login links in the forum, this is the page you'll be taken to. If you use a forum login link, you'll be redirected back to the forum once you've logged in.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    When you are browsing a thread on the forum but not logged in and then click "Post Reply" you are now taken to the log in page and once you have logged in you are taken to the forum front page and not back to the thread you were browsing.
    Can this be corrected please.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • josnor
    I've just noticed that myself. Will take a look at it today.
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    I can no longer log in via Internet Explorer, only through Firefox. I've deleted cookies and temporary internet files, but the log in button simply won't activate anything. Any ideas?
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • Carl_P wrote:
    I can no longer log in via Internet Explorer, only through Firefox. I've deleted cookies and temporary internet files, but the log in button simply won't activate anything. Any ideas?

I'm having this same problem but with Opera, I click on the log in button....nothing, I've had to go back to using Safari instead.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • satanas
    satanas Posts: 1,303
    josnor wrote:
    If you use a forum login link, you'll be redirected back to the forum once you've logged in.
    This would be fine if it was true, but it is not. With the old site clicking on emails about posts took one straight to the releveant thread. When the new site first arrived, one had to log in, and then the thread appeared. Now one has to log in, is then told the thread does not exist, and then one has to find it.

This is not progress, and neither is shoving Facebook et al down our throats. :evil:
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:
    When you are browsing a thread on the forum but not logged in and then click "Post Reply" you are now taken to the log in page and once you have logged in you are taken to the forum front page and not back to the thread you were browsing.
    Can this be corrected please.

Its been like that for ages. You dont get this cobblers on mumsnet. :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Popup doesn't appear at work so I can't log in there. Maybe no bad thing as reduced temptation to browse here when less interesting things fail to divert me. Or otherwise I'll just go to another forum (eg Mumsnet) as this is the only one that doesn't work at work. D- I think for this one :wink:

And the whole re-direct to the front page is very irritating.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    Yay, sorted it. Hit the compatability view icon on the address bar. Now I can see lots of advertising crap as well as log in.
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • satanas
    Things have got worse - today I am getting a page saying "that didn't go well - would you like to search for something?" At least before I ended up somewhere from which navigation was more easily possible.

PLease DO NOT attempt to add any more features (ie Faecesbook) until what was there several months ago works again...
  • josnor
    Carl_P wrote:
    What version of IE are you using?
    Rolf F wrote:
    Popup doesn't appear at work so I can't log in there.
    What browser and version are you using?
    satanas wrote:
    Things have got worse - today I am getting a page saying "that didn't go well - would you like to search for something?"
    What URL did you go to to get that message?
  • josnor
    I'm having this same problem but with Opera, I click on the log in button....nothing, I've had to go back to using Safari instead.
    What version of Opera are you using and on what operating system? We've tested in 12.02 and 11.64 on Mac OS X and can't reproduce the problem.
  • IhateDNS
    IhateDNS Posts: 380
    I sent email don't work with my phone not overlay login box
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work!
  • satanas
    satanas wrote:
    Things have got worse - today I am getting a page saying "that didn't go well - would you like to search for something?"
    What URL did you go to to get that message?[/quote]
    I don't have it on record; today I got: "The requested topic does not exist." It seems to me that whatever I do, the result is that I don't get anywhere useful, and then have to search to find the appropriate post. (I'm using the latest version of Firefox if that matters, but I doubt it does.) Seems like the site is currently comprehensively broken... :roll:
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I'm trying to log on though Safari on iOS6 and I just keep getting red text in the log on pop-up saying 'An error has occurred'. I've tried resetting my password and then changing it again, but no joy. Logging on using windows devices on Chrome is fine.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • chanjy
    chanjy Posts: 200
    This new login is so badly designed it's unreal... I can't login at work with Internet explorer either!! Just redirects me to the front page and then nothing happens.

Not happy! :twisted:
  • josnor
    Asprilla wrote:
    I'm trying to log on though Safari on iOS6 and I just keep getting red text in the log on pop-up saying 'An error has occurred'. I've tried resetting my password and then changing it again, but no joy. Logging on using windows devices on Chrome is fine.
    I see the problem, I'll get that fixed ASAP.
    chanjy wrote:
    This new login is so badly designed it's unreal... I can't login at work with Internet explorer either!! Just redirects me to the front page and then nothing happens.
    We'll hopefully have a fix out for that this morning.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I can't login on my phone anymore... I just get "an error has occured"... Started happening yesterday, worked again this morning but has stopped working again... It's a Galaxy S2 if that helps...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • chanjy
    Still not fixed for me... Is the login button using javascript? That may be the issue for me. Seems unnecessarily complicated?
  • josnor
    chanjy wrote:
    Still not fixed for me... Is the login button using javascript? That may be the issue for me. Seems unnecessarily complicated?
    Do you have Javascript disabled? If so then that will be the problem; Javascript is required to log in. If not, what version of Internet Explorer are you using?
  • sam1176uk
    sam1176uk Posts: 524
    Unable to log in on my Blackberry, no problems when using my pc (internet explorer)...
  • josnor
    It should work for mobile users now. Sorry for the inconvenience. As far as I'm aware the only outstanding issue is the redirect back to the forum when you get an email notification which we're hopefully fixing tomorrow. Let me know if anyone's having any further problems.
  • chanjy
    Yup I'm on IE8 and work disables javascript... Oh well :-(
  • IhateDNS
    IhateDNS Posts: 380
    Working for me Android Gingerbread.
    Thanks ;)
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work!
  • satanas
    "The requested topic does not exist." (Applies to all topics at present.)

I'll be away for two months - hopefully things might work better then...
  • We've also just implemented a fix to the redirect issue, so that now, no matter where on the forum you log in from, you will be redirected back there upon successful log in.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I can't login from iPhone. Says error has occurred but no details.

Also when I check 'keep me logged in', it doesn't. I randomly have re-login sometimes
  • Please Please.... A very simple bit of code whatever the login box is written in.............

Put the bloody cursor in the box.
    You do not expect, having typed your logon id ...................to position the cursor and type it again!

I despair at the lack of simple testing, just a comment about websites in general!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    josnor wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Popup doesn't appear at work so I can't log in there.
    What browser and version are you using?

Internet explorer 6.0.2800.1106CO :oops:

Still, not had any probs with other forums with it. And please, please do something about this redirect to the main page. That, on a scale of irritating from 1 to 10 is a clear 10 whatever browser you are using.

If you change something, it should make the user experience better - not worse. This change has nothing positive going for it from an end user perspective that I can see.
    Faster than a tent.......