Which bottom bracket tool do I need?

booldawg
booldawg Posts: 290
edited October 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi All,

I am replacing my bottom bracket (Shimano UN) with an SLX Hollowtech II.

I have the right Hollowtech tool to fit the new BB but the tool I bought off Amazon doesnt seem to fit my old bottom bracket. As far as I know Shimano only have one 20 tooth fitting out there?

Heres a link to the tool I bought;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007M8GFZ2/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00

The teeth seem too wide to fit the slots in the cups on the UN bottom bracket.
1999 Scott Vail - Work commute
2015 Giant Anthem 27.5 SX - Weekend riding

East Hants MTB on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/288056017965343/

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Tbh I'd just got to an LBS, you'll not need the tool again.
  • booldawg
    spot on from a financial point of view!

I guess its handy to have in the toolbox. I also commute off road on this bike all year round and having the option to service the BB is good.

I also have an older Scott that the tool would come in handy for.

• Chunkers1980
    And you'll need to have the shell faced - which IS a LBS job.
  • booldawg
    Is the jury still out on BB shell facing?

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Nope.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Jury has never been out, it's a must.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it is out for the people who dont fix bikes.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Or are silly enough to keep throwing BB's at it and blaming the BBs for failing!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • lol... i've still yet to face a bb!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    lol... i've still yet to face a bb!
    not much that can be done to help a BB30 BB.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bikaholic
    bikaholic Posts: 350
    I install BBs in both faced and unfaced frames, each time, noting down the installation date on the BB sleeve itself.

And, the verdict is, ...that it makes little difference with regards to longevity of the BB.

HT2, GXP, X-Type, MegaExo - they will all fail in a similar way and within a short period of time. The first to go will be the NDS bearing.

There is an inherent flaw in the seals and cups themselves of the external BB designs. This can be illustrated in the action of stirring a cup of tea: a small diameter rotation at one end of the spoon causes a bigger diameter rotation in the other.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I've seen BB shells so out of parallel that you can't even slide the axle through. Or ones that take a lot of effort, and the bearings die very quickly. if in doubt, face it.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    bikaholic wrote:
    This can be illustrated in the action of stirring a cup of tea: a small diameter rotation at one end of the spoon causes a bigger diameter rotation in the other.
    Er Ok
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • hainman
    hainman Posts: 699
    I have a HT2 on my rockrider 9.1 and its creaking a bit so will need either serviced(if they can) or new one,how would i know if my lbs has done the shells or just left it out??
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • Chunkers1980
    Depends, if it was factory external then you'd hope they'd put sufficient care into making it perfectly parallel on making it or ran the tool over it.

If it is creaking then you can try taking the seals off and forcing a bit of grease in. But really a new one is required.