S Works Venge - Dengfu Replica

2»

Comments

• Just looking at it from purely a bike perspective it looks fantastic. Good build sir!
    Current bike: 2014 Kinesis Racelight T2 - built by my good self!
  • Brakeless wrote:
    So you want everyone to think you're riding an expensive S works when you're riding a fake. It's not a 'replica' it's a fake. Why don't you have great big Dengfu stickers on it?

There are a few of these no-named frames knocking about that are used by a few big-named bike manufacturers, so it might not be as much a fake as you think.
  • Cornish-J
    Cornish-J Posts: 978
    Brakeless wrote:
    So you want everyone to think you're riding an expensive S works when you're riding a fake. It's not a 'replica' it's a fake. Why don't you have great big Dengfu stickers on it?

if i wanted everyone to think i was riding an expensive s works i wouldnt come on a bike forum saying 'dengfu replica' lol..
  • Cubic
    Cubic Posts: 594
    Cornish-J wrote:
    Brakeless wrote:

if i wanted everyone to think i was riding an expensive s works i wouldnt come on a bike forum saying 'dengfu replica' lol..

So why did you put the S-Works decals on the frame?
  • F_I
    F_I Posts: 14
    Cubic wrote:
    Why does it matter? Anybody who knows bikes can see it looks nothing like a Venge, the top tube in particular is way out and for everyone else who doesn't know anything they will just think ohhh a nice bike regardless.

If people are happy to buy them and want to put decals on them, that's their choice, but I would much rather be sitting on the genuine bike that has had safety checks etc. than bombing down a hill on a fake which may or may not be safe.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    F_I wrote:
    Cubic wrote:
    Why does it matter? Anybody who knows bikes can see it looks nothing like a Venge, the top tube in particular is way out and for everyone else who doesn't know anything they will just think ohhh a nice bike regardless.

It doesn't matter until someone tries to sell it as the real thing. Of course, at the moment the fakes aren't that convincing but the Pinarello fakes are certainly improving. OK, so far anyone who knows anything should still be able to spot them fairly easily but what happens when the fakes do become visually perfect?
    Certainly, this particular bike could easily be sold on Ebay without much effort for far more than it is really worth - and if people want to overbid on what should be obvious fakes then more fool them but even if it is peoples own idiocy that gets them ripped off it doesn't mean it is a good thing.

Eventually it can start to devalue the real thing. Go and have a look at vintage watches on line and the value of Frankenfakes is pretty much the same as the real thing down to lack of buyer knowledge. This makes it hard to actually source any decent vintage upmarket watch as the good ones are in a tiny minority.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • metronome
    metronome Posts: 670
    JohnnyV111 wrote:
    According to Wikipedia, speech marks can be used to express irony.

True

dr-evil-aie-quotes.jpg?w=500
    tick - tick - tick
  • F_I
    F_I Posts: 14
    Fair enough, but that is only really an issue if you are buying 2nd hand and with bikes it's pretty easy to prove it's genuine with a proof of purchase from a reputable dealer and nobody is going to be looking to buy a vintage Venge 30 years from now.
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    i do wonder how much R&D and safety checks go into these frames. I know the real things are over priced for what they are but factored into that ammount it hundreds and thousands or Research, develoment, testing, etc etc and then you arrive at an already expensive product before you build profit into it. I cannot think much testing goes into these because they are just so cheap even though im sure hugely profitable for the company knocking them out. Everytime I descend a mountain or a hill and go north of 40mph im always reassured that the equipment has been tested for this. Im sure these are not and in my experience anything from China just does not work. It usually looks ok, and even performs quite well (sometimes) but usually breaks way within the ammount of time that would be classed as normal, then go and buy the real thing and promise to myself never buy cheap again. if i cant afford the real version of somethign I dont buy it. On the flip side it looks a nice ride but I think it would look better with some custom stickers or paint.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    F_I wrote:
    Fair enough, but that is only really an issue if you are buying 2nd hand and with bikes it's pretty easy to prove it's genuine with a proof of purchase from a reputable dealer and nobody is going to be looking to buy a vintage Venge 30 years from now.

Are they that bad then? :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Cornish-J
    Im sure these are not and in my experience anything from China just does not work.

you realise most bikes are made in china yea?

hey look .. http://app.strava.com/activities/23995822 ... i didnt die in a cloud of carbon shards! :D
  • How much did the frame set you back?
  • Cornish-J
    many many pounds!