New Ribble Steel frame

pompy
pompy Posts: 127
edited August 2013 in Road buying advice
If anyone was as interested as me to see that Ribble have a new steel frame available, I emailed them to see when further details will be released (weights, geometry etc) and the reply was from w/c Oct 8th.

Comments

• rajMAN
    rajMAN Posts: 429
    Interested to see details on this new frame, certainly looks good from the picture. Remember rows of Reynolds and Columbus steel frames in their shop not many years ago. :D
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I saw it at the Cycle show at the NEC. Looked quite stylish with it's retro gloss red paint job and built into a full bike. Overheard somebody ask one of the Ribble staff about it's weight. "Heavy" was the reply.

It's on the website as a frame with a link to the corresponding fork.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... ibbfraw240
  • rajMAN
    Blimey, at that price its a steel. :shock:
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I bet it's heavy for 200 quid.
  • rajMAN
    For a training hack though!
  • Chris James
    Chris James Posts: 1,040
    keef66 wrote:
    I saw it at the Cycle show at the NEC. Looked quite stylish with it's retro gloss red paint job and built into a full bike. Overheard somebody ask one of the Ribble staff about it's weight. "Heavy" was the reply.
    It makes you wonder why they bother selling them with that sort fo sales patter. A mate of mine was in their warehouse a couple of months ago and saw the new steel frames then. The sales staff were very dismissive and only wanted to sell him a carbon frame.

As it happens he has gone for carbon, but a Dolan not a Ribble.

The salesman was pretty much implying that they were offering them as some ex customers had finally worn out / broken their old Ribble steel frames and were looking for something similar to replace them with. I think they look nice. They are 'only' 525 though, so probably not especially light, but nice and tough for winter club runs etc.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If my alu racelight Tk broke I reckon I'd have one and transfer all the kit across. Frame weight is the last thing I'd worry about.

I like the fact that it's got rack mounting points on the seatstays, which the Equilibrium lacks
  • BR 1979
    BR 1979 Posts: 296
    FFS. I bought a blue Ribble Alu Winter frame/forks not 2 months ago. I would choose this over that every day of the week.

Very irritating.
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Seriously tempted, been looking for a cheap steel frame with mudguard eyes for a little while..........
  • pompy
    pompy Posts: 127
    I picked the one at the show up and it wasn't too bad considering the heavy wheels and groupset. It is probably heavy in comparison to their carbon offerings but it was lighter than I was expecting and as we all know, weight is but a small part of the equation!. It's Reynolds 525 so could probably work out how much it weighs if anyone is really that bothered!
  • Interesting. I have the alu one with the same forks. I wonder if the tyre clearances are any different.. can't even fit 25s with sks mudguards on mine.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    anyone have any more info re: geometry etc? can't see anything on their site...
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • kirkee
    kirkee Posts: 369
    looks a nice frame for the money.

heres the details
    if you look on Ribbles bike builder it shares the same geometry as the Sportive Racing frame

It takes standard (49mm drop) calipers, and takes a 27.2mm Seat post (31.8mm mech clamp).

info from Ribble via email
    Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will
  • Simmo72
    Simmo72 Posts: 262
    I've been thinking about getting one of these since seeing it on road cc a month ago. I'm debating whether to get this as my winter bike or get a second Planet X pro carbon which is more than good enough for me. Clearly a weight and price difference but just it's nice to ride on steel plus I'm nervous about riding carbon through winter, paranoid I'm going to trash it.

525 is the same as 531 weight and strength wise, it's just cheaper to produce. I used to race and ride 531 in my teens and if you can do a mid 21 10 mile time trial on it with no box standard wheels and handlebars it can't be that bad.
  • BigLights
    BigLights Posts: 464
    I've just spoken to the Ribble people. The fella said the full bike should be out by end of November. It'll be 'more comfortable' than the 7005 Winter, not any more expensive, and it's 'nice' he says.....
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    good to know, lets cancel xmas and I'll have one. any news on the carbon winter bike
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    i suppose they would say they're nice, but as we all know there's nice, and there's nicer, but for the money, can't be bad
  • Disappointing to have std drop calipers. It really needed deep drop to allow 25c tyres with mudguard and clearance. Why do manufacturers keep doing this on winter / commute bikes? :roll:
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,170
    Disappointing to have std drop calipers. It really needed deep drop to allow 25c tyres with mudguard and clearance. Why do manufacturers keep doing this on winter / commute bikes? :roll:

I have a Ribble winter frame (the blue aluminum one). I have full mudguards and 25c tyres on it with std drop calipers and haven't had any issues with it yet.
    Mañana
  • 525 steel?

Besides the Empire State building that frame would be the only thing not blown away by Hurricane Sandy. :lol:
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • pompy wrote:
    I picked the one at the show up and it wasn't too bad considering the heavy wheels and groupset. It is probably heavy in comparison to their carbon offerings but it was lighter than I was expecting and as we all know, weight is but a small part of the equation!. It's Reynolds 525 so could probably work out how much it weighs if anyone is really that bothered!

Would be interesting to know what that frame does weigh as it looks great.

A sub-10kg full build would make it tempting.

RIBBFRAW240_1_zoom.jpg
  • Barrzy257
    Barrzy257 Posts: 411
    Has any body bought the 525 then? Any reviews on it? Also can't seem to find the geometry of it, is the 7005 the same geo? Also what's clearance like with full guards and tyre widths? Cheers
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    How many people bought one then?
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I would have had I not ordered the bloody Alu one just before this came out...
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I would have had I not ordered the bloody Alu one just before this came out...

:evil: :evil:

Annoying,

I am thinking of getting one or a Kinesis (which are as rare as hens teeth).

I want to know what the ride is like -, ans how they size up - I think I want a 52
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills