Carrera Kraken - XC build update 15 aug

mrmonkfinger
mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
edited August 2013 in Your mountain bikes
So, with our little offspring approaching the 1 year mark quite soon, I need a utility bike capable of doing a little light off road (fire trails, mainly) and having a child seat bolted on. Now, whilst I do have a road bike that all the utility stuff could be fitted to, I quite like it as a road bike, and it would be nice to have a hack bike suitable for the odd XC ride.

Two goals with this project: keep the budget down to a couple of hundred, and get something reasonable to ride that does all the stuff mentioned.

So, we start with this, for £35, a Carrera Kraken XC in size large:

test_zps5cd422db.png

And add some things I already have, at zero cost:

A Ritchey WCS headset.
A Ritchey Comp stem.
A Ritchey Comp seatpost.
Some Scott grips.
FSA chainrings, 22, 32 & 42.
Some SRAM Stylo cranks.
Two Avid Code 5 levers.
Several Elixir callipers.
Two 160mm discs.
A pair of wheels (M756 XT hubs, DT spokes, Bontrager rims).
Some skewers.

And also some things coming from BR classifieds (thanks, amt27):

An XT front mech.
002.JPG

A GXP BB.
015.JPG

And on their way from CRC:

A Deore shadow mech:
40542.jpg

A SRAM PG970 cassette:
5213.jpg

An FSA XC300 handlebar:
36053.jpg

Total spent so far, £135.33

Yet to come:

A fork (I'm looking for a second hand rigid, remember its a budget build)
Cables
Chain
Shifters

utility department:
Mudguards (yup, cool-as-corduroy full length jobs).
Blackburn EX rack (for the child seat).

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you want some inspiration - or to be put off - check the link in my sig although it's a bit out of date I'm waiting until I have the XT brakes on before updating it (update will be a Bontraget RXL saddle, Deore HT2 crankset and the XT/Saint/XTR brake combo Current cost on mine is just over £600 but I have the Juicy's and a Saint lever XTR calliper combo to sell on.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mrmonkfinger
    Yup, spied that a while ago, and although I am completely mystified as to what you're doing with the brakes, its exactly the sort of thing I'm aiming at.

Not sure on what tyres to grab. Slicks or semi-slicks, or something else with minimal tread, small block 8 maybe?
  • The Rookie
    I bought a pair of XTR callipers, a Saint M800 (XT M765 in a different colour) front set and a pair of XT M775 servowave levers, I'm using the levers with the XTR rear (IS mount so no adaptors etc) and the Saint front caliper with new hoses, I'll then put the XTR front with the Saint lever to sell on, cost me £90 and should get back about £25-30, so not a bad price for what I end up with!

Plus Shimano's are much easier to bleed than the Avids!

Tyre wise it depends very much on where your riding!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I really appreciate your mission as its what I've been doing and will continue to do with my new carbon frame build.

I just replaced a few bits on my Kraken so I have available a set of Tektro disc brakes (cable) which are pretty good after pad clean, a set of 6 bolt rotors, the original Kraken wheelset (has a rough rear hub but its a cheap-ish fix) and two tyres with slime tubes - Continental Vertical on the front (good tread), and Schwalbe Black Jack on the rear (purchased this spring). I also have the old stem and bars but would not recommend unless you're going for a commuter!

Happy to have a chat if you're interested in any of it. It's all been kept in nice boxes or in bags out of harms way s
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • mrmonkfinger
    I bought a pair of XTR callipers, a Saint M800 (XT M765 in a different colour) front set and a pair of XT M775 servowave levers, I'm using the levers with the XTR rear (IS mount so no adaptors etc) and the Saint front caliper with new hoses, I'll then put the XTR front with the Saint lever to sell on, cost me £90 and should get back about £25-30, so not a bad price for what I end up with!

Plus Shimano's are much easier to bleed than the Avids!

Tyre wise it depends very much on where your riding!

Ok, got it, neat scheme to get some decent brakes.

Avids are ok once you get the hang of them. One thing I've found that helps is to ignore the instructions that say "you dont need to rotate the lever" and rotate the lever so the bleed port is at the top. Oh, and unbolt the calliper so you can get the calliper bleed port at the top, too.
  • mrmonkfinger
    ok, my kingdom (well, £35) for a fork, a bit like this - but not new - from some other bike forum classifieds:

168970_10150091628554025_150274_n.jpg

Total spend now £171.77
  • mrmonkfinger
    I really appreciate your mission as its what I've been doing and will continue to do with my new carbon frame build.

Thanks paul - appreciate the offer but I'm sorted for wheels and brakes.

Now, if you have a blackburn ex pannier rack lying around...
  • mrmonkfinger
    one more thing in the post - some older generation XT shifters, £34 from crc:

shimano_sl_m751_xt-400-400.jpg

total now: £206.75

remaining:
    chain, cables, mudguards, rack
  • I really appreciate your mission as its what I've been doing and will continue to do with my new carbon frame build.

Thanks paul - appreciate the offer but I'm sorted for wheels and brakes.

Hey no problem. Sadly I don't have any panner racks but if I hear of anything I'll let you know. Look forward to seeing your end result.
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • The Rookie
    The shifters normnally come with inner cables, for outers I use Jagwire with the genuine end caps (O-ringed) (off ebay) and add a little lube inside each cable outer section.

I can bleed the Avids just fine - and agree with you about positioning, but the Shimano's I can do in litteraly 2 minutes!
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078

I do actually genuinely have a Blackburn EX pannier rack, just lying around. Whereabouts are you?
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • mrmonkfinger
    Giraffoto wrote:
    I do actually genuinely have a Blackburn EX pannier rack, just lying around. Whereabouts are you?

Southampton or Hereford, depending on what day of the week it is.

Just to check, that's this one:

KZ_k0a-IEcg9d6b8DqUuJgGFkKnbJaQp0fIxgRtB5luJMkkO8H0UwSOlAFd8a2XxVS5pYGQDKkqSKTghusT3SUcOuP9twQzNlkU1zetSPrYo0QUAhYu96J8SoMVdAj78FOnH8jHKgjIaIgZdbcdJrcDCaPK9kzn0
  • mrmonkfinger
    The shifters normnally come with inner cables, for outers I use Jagwire with the genuine end caps (O-ringed) (off ebay) and add a little lube inside each cable outer section.

I can bleed the Avids just fine - and agree with you about positioning, but the Shimano's I can do in litteraly 2 minutes!

I'm hoping you're right about the inner cables - I can probably locate some cable outers in the spares box, from memory there is a few metres, uncut, on a roll in there :)

2 minutes is fast. I'm now slightly jealous of shimano brake owners!
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Giraffoto wrote:

Southampton or Hereford, depending on what day of the week it is.

Just to check, that's this one:

KZ_k0a-IEcg9d6b8DqUuJgGFkKnbJaQp0fIxgRtB5luJMkkO8H0UwSOlAFd8a2XxVS5pYGQDKkqSKTghusT3SUcOuP9twQzNlkU1zetSPrYo0QUAhYu96J8SoMVdAj78FOnH8jHKgjIaIgZdbcdJrcDCaPK9kzn0

Yep, that one except that it's silver. Is that a problem? I'm nowhere near either Southampton or Hereford, so it looks like a job for the Royal Mail. I'll check this evening if I have all the fittings, How does £15 + p&p sound if I have? Send me a PM if you're interested
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • The Rookie
    2 minutes is fast. I'm now slightly jealous of shimano brake owners!
    The latest ones need bottles and syphoning and probably take a similar time to Avids, but the older ones are really easy and fast, just as well the amount of times I've had bits of the front on and off mine while waiting for the hose kit! I've got swapping out a front calliper, rebleeding and testing down to less than 10 minutes.
  • mrmonkfinger
    I've got swapping out a front calliper, rebleeding and testing down to less than 10 minutes.

video evidence or disbelief

:mrgreen:
  • The Rookie
    LOL, its only 3 bolts (2 PM mount and one banjo) and a bleed then roll it down the garden (downhill and 120foot long) and hit the brakes, 10 is probably pessimistic!
  • mrmonkfinger
    Some shiny bits arrived in the post - bars, frame (minus hanger - hmm), shifters, both mechs, cassette & gxp bb.

Opened two separate CRC parcels to find a £10 voucher (bugger) which I could have used if I'd got the shifters earlier...

Shifters did indeed come with inner cables attached - so I can just fish out some gear cable outer from the spares box, and cut off some lengths.

Finally, I just ordered one of these...

KMC_X9_73.JPG

...for £10.75 (Ebay - can always find kmc chains on there).

That's everything needed to make a bike that rides (minus the utility bits) either here or in the post. Total spend: £217.50

Next stop, building it.
  • The Rookie
    Halfords charge £7.99 for hanger and bolt so not a disaster even if it's annoying!

CRC often chuck in a voucher for a next purchase (sorry....)
  • mrmonkfinger
    Halfords charge £7.99 for hanger and bolt so not a disaster even if it's annoying!

That's not too bad actually. The frame feels quite light and looks quite nice for what it is (a budget bike).
  • The Rookie
    My frame weighs about 1740g, the same as a similar age Rockhopper frame.
  • mrmonkfinger
    My frame weighs about 1740g, the same as a similar age Rockhopper frame.

They're both Merida underneath the paint, aren't they?
  • The Rookie
    Yup, better end of the Merida spectrum though as my daughters old CBR was Merida and that weighed in at 2150g (slightly larger size).
  • mrmonkfinger
    2.15kg? Featherweight - my road bike frame weighs more than that.

Right, the forks have arrived, as has the chain, so I'm ready to start bolting things together. Progress pics soon!
  • mrmonkfinger
    ok, been putting things together just need a couple of photos for this thread

had to also buy:

gear hanger, £8
    rear brake adaptor, £2
  • The Rookie
    Without pics it doesn't exist!
  • mrmonkfinger
    Without pics it doesn't exist!

Yeah I know. I been quite busy over the last week or so and haven't managed to get it outside during daylight hours...
  • mrmonkfinger
    IMG_20121026_134205_zps2e05a54f.jpg

Not the worlds greatest photo, but there we go, she's alive!

Still a few small bits to do:

* swap the rear caliper from elixir 3 to elixir 5 (the 5 is narrow enough to get a rack around)
    * mudguards
    * rack
    * some nicer grips
    * paint the fork black, because there isn't enough black going on yet

its a real "bit of this and bit of that" spec list:
    Carrera Kraken in XL
    Pipedream infinity fork
    Ritchey comp seatpost
    Ritchey comp stem
    Ritchey WCS headset
    Some cheap Selle Italia saddle from ebay
    Some fairly knackered Scott grips
    FSA XC 680mm bars
    "Assortment of avid" brakes - elixir 3 & 5 calipers, code 5 levers, G3 rotors @ 160mm
    SRAM PG970 block
    Deore shadow rear mech, XT front mech
    Stylo cranks, truvativ BB, FSA chainrings
    KMC Z9 chain
    XT shifters, XT cables
    XT hubs, DT plain gauge, Bonty Explorer rims (rims are an OE job)
    Conti City tyres, set up tubeless
  • mrmonkfinger
    done some fettling:

* swapped the rear calliper for an elixir 5 - had to buy a complete second hand brake as I didn't have a suitable hose (£20, so will try and reclaim a bit by re-selling it as a front brake using the old hose)
    * swapped the headset's top cap for a very low profile cap, the ritchey cap was about 14mm tall and the fork had a real short steerer, swapping to a low profile cap got me a few more mm's back, just enough that both the bolts on the stem overlap the steerer tube

total spend now at £275, a few £ over budget due to the brake hose and tyres :(

• * paint the fork black, because there isn't enough black going on yet

Made me lol.

Normally hate 'practical' commuting bikes, but that's not bad. Cannondale bad boy vibe. In fact now i'm tempted.