RS80 Rim Damage?

bickers
bickers Posts: 68
edited October 2012 in Workshop
Hi,

Whilst climbing in 1st gear my chain dropped off the cog and got chewed into my spokes behind the cassette, as i was out of the saddle ive given it some force as well to the point where it jammed in and my wheel stop turning and skidded to a stop.

After getting the chain out i noticed the wheel was well out of true and would only roll if i disconnected the brakes. Then i spotted id bent two spokes close to the hub. I managed to limp (down a 14% gradient with no rear brake!) to a bike shop who managed to straighten, as best they could, the bent spoke (fancy bladed ones they didnt stock) and then true the wheel. They said it would get me home but to take it easy. He also said he had to heavily tighten it to get it straight and so the rim might have some damage. Hilly 50km ride home was fine.

Ive got it home, taken the two spokes out and had a look inside the rim but i can see no damage aside from the line in the picture below. I dont know if this was there before or if ive strained the rim. The Rims are part alu and part carbon with a slight carbon bulge around each eyelet and this line is on one of those bulges. It doesnt look like a crack as such, there is no break in the surface but concerned it might be duffed underneath. The spoke seems to bind to the alu section of the rim away from this line and this appears fine.

Would welcome opinions on if this is likely to be a dead rim or ok to keep using

photo_zpsb00ad930.jpg

JB

Comments

• Looks like everything is fine... you just need to find the replacment spokes and get the wheel mended... given they are straight pull and not J spokes, expect a bit of a journey to get hold of them, but eventually you should be able to... you probalby have to contact a Shimano dealer, which will order it fro you from Madison... someone might know the procedure better
    left the forum March 2023
  • Ive found them online and my LBS can get them, i'd need them to true it up anyway, i'll only make it look like a banana :)
  • The line is fine, its just the overlap between layers of carbon from manufacture.

What gen RS80's are they? Black or silver spokes?

I have spare black ones, both drive side and non drive side. Can post tomorrow if needed. pm me if interested.
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    What has the wheel world come to
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • I've done exactly the same as you. got it fixed by lbs. just about every 4- 6 weeks since then i snapped a spoke (4 in total).
    Lbs has now recommeded a full spoke rebuild.
  • billysan - They are the silver spokes with red nipples (red = faster), i have ordered a couple online which should arrive soon but thanks for the offer.

simwilli - im planning on get the the shop to slacken everything off as if they were rebuilding it just in case. Having taken the two bent ones out one of the other spokes is now very loose so i'd definitely rather get a pro to do it than me fudge it.
  • Can you post a link to where you got them? I would like to get some spares "just in case"
  • bickers
    bickers Posts: 68
    Got them from this place

http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/11 ... 02-mm.html

Wheel is all nicely fixed up now :)